Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight interfered with transfer

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
London Irish said:
There comes a time when you must admit that teams with 6,000 crowds can't survive year after year in a getting-richer league like the Championship. We did brilliantly to do it for one season, but money talked in the next, it generally always does eventually.

He never will, he'll be ploughing his conspiracy theory well into next season.

Earth calling Bens Grandad, you are cleared to land.

Meade's_Ball said:
I worry at times you sleep in a duvet of promotional banners.
I do agree with the things you say, but there seems to be a distinct lack of depth and honesty. Fleshless as a politician would love to be. Doesn't your heart ever crack at the flaws that rest within us/them as a club as well as the history of evil plans we've had to live around?

Er...probably.

As I was at my folks last night I actually slept in my old Star Wars duvet :blush:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
bhaexpress said:
He never will, he'll be ploughing his conspiracy theory well into next season.

Earth calling Bens Grandad, you are cleared to land.

This has nothing to do with any views I have on DK and his efforts as chairman. It is to do with the fact that everybody is prepared to just accept relegation as if it was inevitable because of LDC etc. It wasn't it came about by our own poor performances on the field. If as LI says clubs can't survive in the championship on 6000 gates what is the point of Colchester going up or how did Wimbledon get into the 1st Division. Or Wigan into the Premiership on slightly higher gates. It wasn't an impossible task to stay up last season and if the players had shown the resolve of the fans we would have.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Miami Seagull said:
Of course it matters, but there has to be some quality there to work with. Previous managers (I presume you mean Adams, Coppell and Taylor) had some quality players but were working in the lower divisons (except Coppell for half a season). But in the Championship this year were were miles away, in sheer quality, from other teams.

Crewe have done so well because of a superb youth set up, probably the best in the country. We're doing well finally in that area too and hopefully it will continue to pay dividends in the future. We have yet to produce premiership bound home grown talent in the continous manner at which Crewe have.

Yeah i do basically agree with you, but it's impossible for me to see what strengths we played toward. It seems we rest on chance rather than our own clear intent.
We do have some poor and average players, but on occasion they can be fired with confidence. They can be thinkers. Taught. Learned instead of boys ordered by lonely brutes who i struggle to see provoke one adventurous advance.
I hope mostly that Wilko can hold one generous hand.

BensGrandad said:
If as LI says clubs can't survive in the championship on 6000 gates what is the point of Colchester going up or how did Wimbledon get into the 1st Division.

Because their fans might have the chance of a couple of season's glory visting some great stadiums and hosting some big teams, congrats to them and I hope the Colchester fans enjoy it more than some of our minority of professional moaners at the Albion did.

BensGrandad said:
Wigan into the Premiership on slightly higher gates.

Oh for god's sake :lolol: They have a big, ultra-modern stadium and their crowds are now filling it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BensGrandad said:
This has nothing to do with any views I have on DK and his efforts as chairman. It is to do with the fact that everybody is prepared to just accept relegation as if it was inevitable because of LDC etc. It wasn't it came about by our own poor performances on the field. If as LI says clubs can't survive in the championship on 6000 gates what is the point of Colchester going up or how did Wimbledon get into the 1st Division. Or Wigan into the Premiership on slightly higher gates. It wasn't an impossible task to stay up last season and if the players had shown the resolve of the fans we would have.

Its like a stuck record with you isn't it ? When you can't blame the manager you blame the chairman, now you're blaming the players. I suppose next week you'll be blaming us, the fans.

The season is over and done with, get over it.

You forget (conveniently) That Wimbledon and Wigan were sponsered by wealthy men.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:

Oh for god's sake :lolol: They have a big, ultra-modern stadium and their crowds are now filling it.

They weren't when they were in the Championship, which is when they got promoted they had gates very similar to ours, I think.

BensGrandad said:
They weren't when they were in the Championship, which is when they got promoted they had gates very similar to ours, I think.

Just goes to show what difference a stadium makes, doesn't it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
bhaexpress said:
The season is over and done with, get over it.

You forget (conveniently) That Wimbledon and Wigan were sponsered by wealthy men.

The season is over yes what do you suggest we do just accept it and muddle along next season making the same mistakes or make our views heard in the hope that something changes. The responsibility for relegation rested with DK as head of the board, not him personally, MM as head of the management team and the players' The only ones to escape scot free are us the supporters.

I didnt conveniently forget about the 2 wealthy chairman that the other clubs had but I realise that we cannot compete on those terms with ours and I would have been castigated had I suggested otherwise.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BensGrandad said:
I didnt conveniently forget about the 2 wealthy chairman that the other clubs had but I realise that we cannot compete on those terms with ours and I would have been castigated had I suggested otherwise.

How many more times you boring old goat ? What are the alternatives ? I suppose one of your imaginary fairy godfathers will step in.

Nobody in their right minds would invest in a project that has no assets. Mind you, I think you would.

I rest my case.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
bhaexpress said:
How many more times you boring old goat ? What are the alternatives ? I suppose one of your imaginary fairy godfathers will step in.

Nobody in their right minds would invest in a project that has no assets. Mind you, I think you would.

I rest my case.
I have accepted that we do not have a wealthy chairman at the moment but do we still have to accept the situation as it is. Things will change once we have permission for Falmer.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Silent Bob said:
No because that would involve probably costing someone their job and losing himself a source. No journalist reveals their source.

Yeah, because a respectable journalist gets involved in posting bullshit rumours on an internet message board but has the integrity not to reveal their source. Good point :rolleyes:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
It isn't bullshit. It's true.

I mean, its hardly the most awful rumour, I didn't realise they'd be much fuss.

Every chairman must occasionally dabble in transfers, you win some,you lose some. He lost this one and I guess its just refreshing to not blame McGhee for a change.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Meade's_Ball said:
It does matter who manages the team. I know they finally got relegrated this year, but the calm, considered thought of Dario Gradi made Crewe something they weren't or shouldn't be. He attempts to get the best of the players he has and develops them. I can see no players, in my currently ill-equipped mind, who have notably improved with us recently. Only those who sour or remain the same.

Dick Knight has made mistakes. WOW. If we had a proper way of improving financially then we'd take it. We don't, so we need to recreate the moments of magic teamwork our other managers have enforced or promoted.

While I'm not of the sack MM mind set, I think he has doen well in transfer market and doing what he has on limited resources, Mb is right, there has been no improvement in our players. A lot of them should have pushed on but haven't. If they had it might have been diferent. I think and hope Dean W will make a difference in this area.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
bigc said:
It isn't bullshit. It's true.

I mean, its hardly the most awful rumour, I didn't realise they'd be much fuss.

Every chairman must occasionally dabble in transfers, you win some,you lose some. He lost this one and I guess its just refreshing to not blame McGhee for a change.

It may be and it may not be.
I'm just a bit tired of the Sun type exclusives where " a source close to ......" divulges some exclusive inside information etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah.
If they are too scared to allow their name to be revealed then either:
1) Their integrity and therefore the truth of their story is in serious doubt as they shouldn't be revealing this information to anyone, let alone a journalist who is going to shout it from the rooftops.
2) It is bollocks.

Personaly I couldn't care either way. Unsubstantiated (which it is if you can't tell us who said it) rumours aren't worth shit. It may be true it may not be but I'm not going to believe it just because someone said that "a source close to ...." told them it was so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here