Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight interfered with transfer

Miami Seagull said:
I agree too, this would explain a lot that's happened at the club this year. Many have blasted McGhee for his relationship with some players but this puts a different gloss on it completely. With money so tight this type of behaviour makes it even harder for a club manager to build a team capable of competing.

I can see what you are saying but realistically how much would this on loan French teenager have cost us? Peanuts and a couple of snails legs thrown in?

It is obvious to me that the chairman has a very big pro-active say in who we sign, I think that is a fairly normal situation at all clubs.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
I can see what you are saying but realistically how much would this on loan French teenager have cost us? Peanuts and a couple of snails legs thrown in?

It is obvious to me that the chairman has a very big pro-active say in who we sign, I think that is a fairly normal situation at all clubs.

I would agree with the first part but not the second - you really can not run a club like that unless you have it as a set up.

If the manager doesnt want the player what the hell is he ment to do?

That try before half time for Sale was class.

BensGrandad said:
So is he equally responsible for the relgation.

No Archer, Bellotti, Stanley and Lewes were :wave: :albion:

Kinky Gerbils said:
That try before half time for Sale was class.

I actually wanted Sale to win today more than Barnsley - an insight into how much I hate Leicester cheatin' Tigers!

But a great day for cup finals :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Really funny too that the Sale players were doing the Easy Easy chant when they scored the final try :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
I actually wanted Sale to win today more than Barnsley - an insight into how much I hate Leicester cheatin' Tigers!

But a great day for cup finals :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Really funny too that the Sale players were doing the Easy Easy chant when they scored the final try :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

The plus side of not really following a side and more the sport is i dont care who wins

BensGrandad said:
Did they all wear boots and perform badly, even by our own standards last season?

No, but they all ensured that we don't have the money to compete at Championship level.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
London Irish said:
No, but they all ensured that we don't have the money to compete at Championship level.

Exactly, imagine if the story had been that McGhee had insisted on the signing against all advice, how many people would be on here now going crazy about that, especially as it led to the incidents with Knight and Kuipers. Unfortunately criticising Dick Knight on here is never welcomed, even when deserved. For the record, he (and the rest of the board) cost us relegation from the Championship 3 years ago with the Hinshelwood debacle, and, as stories like this show, he certainly contributed to it again this time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There can be no disputing the fact that they all stopped us buying better players but I didnt see any of them not hold a shot and palm it straight to an on coming attacker, or miss a defensive header or tackle or even miss an open goal or a one on one.

There comes a time when even you LI must admit that the relegation was down to the players and manager and all other factors are contributory reasons for our cash flow and excuses for our poor on the field performances

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
BensGrandad said:
There can be no disputing the fact that they all stopped us buying better players but I didnt see any of them not hold a shot and palm it straight to an on coming attacker, or miss a defensive header or tackle or even miss an open goal or a one on one.

There comes a time when even you LI must admit that the relegation was down to the players and manager and all other factors are contributory reasons for our cash flow and excuses for our poor on the field performances

Not only did they stop us buying good players, they made us buy bad ones...and if there just is not enough quality about the squad then it does not matter who is managing the team.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Miami Seagull said:
Not only did they stop us buying good players, they made us buy bad ones...and if there just is not enough quality about the squad then it does not matter who is managing the team.

Id go along with that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Miami Seagull said:

We were not forced to buy bad players we chose those players out of what was available that we could afford. If they were considered no better than we had we could have bought or signed nobody and saved the money except of course CKR who I am sure will be an asset to us this season. So they can not beheld responsible for MM signing players and then letting 3 of his signings go after 1 season.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It does matter who manages the team. I know they finally got relegrated this year, but the calm, considered thought of Dario Gradi made Crewe something they weren't or shouldn't be. He attempts to get the best of the players he has and develops them. I can see no players, in my currently ill-equipped mind, who have notably improved with us recently. Only those who sour or remain the same.

Dick Knight has made mistakes. WOW. If we had a proper way of improving financially then we'd take it. We don't, so we need to recreate the moments of magic teamwork our other managers have enforced or promoted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Miami Seagull said:
...and if there just is not enough quality about the squad then it does not matter who is managing the team.

I would suggest that Tony Pullis is a manager that could have brought out the best in our players last season.

BensGrandad said:

There comes a time when you must admit that teams with 6,000 crowds can't survive year after year in a getting-richer league like the Championship. We did brilliantly to do it for one season, but money talked in the next, it generally always does eventually.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Meade's_Ball said:
It does matter who manages the team. I know they finally got relegrated this year, but the calm, considered thought of Dario Gradi made Crewe something they weren't or shouldn't be. He attempts to get the best of the players he has and develops them. I can see no players, in my currently ill-equipped mind, who have notably improved with us recently. Only those who sour or remain the same.

Dick Knight has made mistakes. WOW. If we had a proper way of improving financially then we'd take it. We don't, so we need to recreate the moments of magic teamwork our other managers have enforced or promoted.

Of course it matters, but there has to be some quality there to work with. Previous managers (I presume you mean Adams, Coppell and Taylor) had some quality players but were working in the lower divisons (except Coppell for half a season). But in the Championship this year were were miles away, in sheer quality, from other teams.

Crewe have done so well because of a superb youth set up, probably the best in the country. We're doing well finally in that area too and hopefully it will continue to pay dividends in the future. We have yet to produce premiership bound home grown talent in the continous manner at which Crewe have.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
London Irish said:
There comes a time when you must admit that teams with 6,000 crowds can't survive year after year in a getting-richer league like the Championship. We did brilliantly to do it for one season, but money talked in the next, it generally always does eventually.

I worry at times you sleep in a duvet of promotional banners.
I do agree with the things you say, but there seems to be a distinct lack of depth and honesty. Fleshless as a politician would love to be. Doesn't your heart ever crack at the flaws that rest within us/them as a club as well as the history of evil plans we've had to live around?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here