Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Knee taking to be dramatically reduced

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Good. Maybe football can get back to be about football rather than trying to solve the worlds problems many of which are totally unsolvable because with 9 billion on this planet there’s an awful lot of disagreement about. Just saying, like.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
About time - gesturing at it’s finest.

If the players really wanted to do something they would all come off social media till ID-ing was brought in.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
SSN editors will be gutted, previously every game when they show action of what happened in any given game from the previous day/evening they show the knee was taken and then cut to the goals.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good. Maybe football can get back to be about football rather than trying to solve the worlds problems many of which are totally unsolvable because with 9 billion on this planet there’s an awful lot of disagreement about. Just saying, like.

You have misunderstood. They weren’t trying to solve anything. They were showing solidarity.

The football was still about football. No games were interrupted.

Still, it bugged the crap out of a lot of racists. That’s good enough for me.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

You have misunderstood. They weren’t trying to solve anything. They were showing solidarity.

This is spot on .
It made me smile when some racists started booing it and were for the most part completely drowned out by many , many , more people clapping !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
SSN editors will be gutted, previously every game when they show action of what happened in any given game from the previous day/evening they show the knee was taken and then cut to the goals.

As will Tyldesley ... over-the-top shouting Sky's approval on every occasion. Overshadowing the players actions.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The cynic in me sees the reduction in knee taking just in time for a World Cup in Qatar. After all, its difficult to "bring about a global society of inclusion, respect and equal opportunities for all." when you are playing in a stadium built by actual slaves of which plenty have died in the process in one of the richest countries on the planet.

Ignoring my cynicism, I do agree that less is more though. It'll mean more when it is done which if it makes people think is no bad thing.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
About time too. A case of over-the-top meaningless virtue signalling that achieved absolutely diddly squat.

The idea and thought behind it was absolutely a good thing, the fact that they didn't build upon it either as a PFA or the PL in general is a joke, but utterly unsurprising.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

I mean in the greater scheme of not just racism, but how football is held up as some sort of panacea for nearly everything. Which of course it isn’t and should stop trying to be. Just play the game…it’s a few minutes for us ‘legacy’ fans to switch off from the troubles of this world. Not be constantly reminded of as cause after cause is demonstrably championed. I’d like to go back to football without the circus of this clap, that silence, this shirt, those laces etc Just a simple game of football. But here’s wishing….!!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I mean in the greater scheme of not just racism, but how football is held up as some sort of panacea for nearly everything. Which of course it isn’t and should stop trying to be. Just play the game…it’s a few minutes for us ‘legacy’ fans to switch off from the troubles of this world. Not be constantly reminded of as cause after cause is demonstrably championed. I’d like to go back to football without the circus of this clap, that silence, this shirt, those laces etc Just a simple game of football. But here’s wishing….!!!

I actually agree with a lot of that.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
I don’t know about it achieving nothing, it kept the subject in the top half of the news for a good few weeks. It upset a lot of racists, no bad thing, and showed how thick some of said racists are, when the booing, etc just made it more newsworthy.

It also stopped my racist, armchair Liverpool fan brother in law, enjoying their Premier League champions season as he refused to watch football after players started taking the knee.

Oh, it did make me laugh.

Your brother in law is not called Tony is he ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The cynic in me sees the reduction in knee taking just in time for a World Cup in Qatar. After all, its difficult to "bring about a global society of inclusion, respect and equal opportunities for all." when you are playing in a stadium built by actual slaves of which plenty have died in the process in one of the richest countries on the planet.

Ignoring my cynicism, I do agree that less is more though. It'll mean more when it is done which if it makes people think is no bad thing.

I think this is a surrender.

When will they do it? Never? Or on Nelson Mandela's birthday? On the anniversary of Stephen Lawrence's murder? Or when Millwall are in town?

If I were a racist I would be laughing tonight.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Would it still advertise gambling constantly and be used for whitewashing various regimes?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, it’s run its course now. Nothing to see here, really.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think this is a surrender.

When will they do it? Never? Or on Nelson Mandela's birthday? On the anniversary of Stephen Lawrence's murder? Or when Millwall are in town?

If I were a racist I would be laughing tonight.
I very much doubt that most racists would give a shit, either way. Sorry! :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No idea. Ask them.

Why should I ask them? In your view racists don't care whether or not players take the knee. This is clearly false, and explains the red faced gammony reaction to the knee taking by a minority.

It was agreed long ago (after discussions about 'what's the point - it won't change anything' on the one hand, and 'this is an attempt to overthrow democracy by trained Marxists' on the other) that if taking the knee annoys racists and triggers them into booing, this is a worthwhile outcome from a three second gesture. It has had folk of a right wing and traditionalist outlook, many of them quite old, huffing and puffing over the last year, and I regard that as a good thing. You presumably don't.

If the players have decided to take the knee only occasionally (and it is perfectly logical to ask 'when is that then?', as I did), so be it. I regard this as an error and said so. Perhaps history will prove me wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here