Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

King Kenny

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
3. The fascination with Carroll's price tag is a little tiresome. I agree that he is playing poorly and at the moment cannot be considered a good buy. But the fact is that when Torres stated that he wanted to leave Liverpool (Comolli & Dalglish) identified Carroll as their preferred replacement. The Board agreed and decided that they wanted £15m + Carroll for Torres. If Carroll had been priced at £5m they would have wanted £20m for Torress. If Carroll had been priced at £50m they would have insisted on £65m for Torress. When they were quoted £35m for Carroll they simply told Chelsea that they wanted £50m for Torres; which Chelsea were willing to pay. The debate should be whether Carroll is good enough to play for Liverpool (& indeed in the Premiership); not whether he is worth £35m.
!

If you believe that, then you believe anything. Liverpool would have sold Torres for £20 mill if Newcastle had quoted his proper market value of £5mill? Seriously? The board would have had thier Shell suits burnt in a Toxteth riot.

Carroll is as effective as Billy Paynter although admitedly, Carroll can jump.

If you believe that, then you believe anything. Liverpool would have sold Torres for £20 mill if Newcastle had quoted his proper market value of £5mill? Seriously? The board would have had thier Shell suits burnt in a Toxteth riot.

The original quote also conveniently forgets that Liverpool had at least one bid for Carroll turned down as the deadline rapidly approached. It was much more a case of 'we've got £50m burning a hole in our pocket and need a striker, who can we get?' than anything pre-meditated.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Not true. When Hodgson was sacked, Liverpool were 12th: a year later, after spending more than £100m, they're lying 7th. Is that really such a big improvement?

Well it's 5 places for a start. A quick google also tells me its also 18 points above the relegation zone compared to four points when hodgson left (funnily enough where West Brom is this year). He also couldn't win away for any club he managed.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Liverpool fans are really the most deluded fans in the country, and are constantly living in the past. Fact is, they will not reach top 4 in the near future at this rate, and bar perhaps the league cup (which I can't see them winning anyway) they won't win a cup this season yet again. And I for one am loving it.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Well it's 5 places for a start. A quick google also tells me its also 18 points above the relegation zone compared to four points when hodgson left (funnily enough where West Brom is this year). He also couldn't win away for any club he managed.

But Kenny has only won 4 times in 11 games at home in league this season! Hardly impressive!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But Kenny has only won 4 times in 11 games at home in league this season! Hardly impressive!

For the amount of money they've spent, that is utterly WOEFUL.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The original quote also conveniently forgets that Liverpool had at least one bid for Carroll turned down as the deadline rapidly approached. It was much more a case of 'we've got £50m burning a hole in our pocket and need a striker, who can we get?' than anything pre-meditated.

Exactly.
It was a deadline day panic-buy, nothing more nothing less. "Torres is going, we HAVE to get someone in immediately before the window closes..."

Buy in haste, repent at leisure.

Brian Fairey

Southern Scouse
Dec 12, 2011
Liverpool fans are really the most deluded fans in the country, and are constantly living in the past. Fact is, they will not reach top 4 in the near future at this rate, and bar perhaps the league cup (which I can't see them winning anyway) they won't win a cup this season yet again. And I for one am loving it.
I don't really understand what southerners and mancs have got against LFC and scousers to be honest. :shrug:

Seeing as Carroll is the best striker in England, I actually think the gap should have been smaller than £15m. Torres doesn't even play for Spain these days does he? And he's scored like three goals for Chelsea since he joined. £50m what a laff.

Better than Rooney? Really? and i suppose Downing is also England's best winger?
Yes, better than Rooney. I'd score goals in that team, ya soft get! And what does Rooney do for England? That's right, he scores goals. But only against crap teams. Against the good ones he consistently gets marked out of the game or gets sent off like the gobby little toffee he is.

Give Carroll a chance for England and he will score a shedload.

Downing is also top 2 or 3 wingers, yea. Better than Walcott anyway.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As I said . . .

I'm not saying he's had a great season, there are faults, I just can't see their season as a failure yet. And it's a long way to go.

At the moment, considering the amount spent and the relative underperformance of Chelsea and Arsenal, it's definitely looking poor.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
I think he's done a worst job than Hodgson spent loads of money for no results.

Downing, Carroll and Henderson are shite

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't really understand what southerners and mancs have got against LFC and scousers to be honest.

The fact that a lot of them are hopelessly deluded, arrogant, and living about 25-30 years in the past.

Liverpool are NOT A BIG CLUB anymore.

I don't really understand what southerners and mancs have got against LFC and scousers to be honest. :shrug:

Seeing as Carroll is the best striker in England, I actually think the gap should have been smaller than £15m. Torres doesn't even play for Spain these days does he? And he's scored like three goals for Chelsea since he joined. £50m what a laff.

Yes, better than Rooney. I'd score goals in that team, ya soft get! And what does Rooney do for England? That's right, he scores goals. But only against crap teams. Against the good ones he consistently gets marked out of the game or gets sent off like the gobby little toffee he is.

I maintain that this is a poor attempt at a windup. Not even a scouser can be this blind to irony, surely?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
By all means be deluded about your one time big club, [MENTION=22760]Brian Fairey[/MENTION], but please can you f*** off onto your own forum and not pretend to be a Liverpool and Brighton fan on here?

Cheers.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I think he's done a worst job than Hodgson spent loads of money for no results.

Downing, Carroll and Henderson are shite

I think Henderson has potential, the other two havent performed to theirs.

They're now favourites to win the Carling Cup which would be the first silverware since 2006(?), still in the FA Cup (until they meet us) and are 5 points off 4th place. No results? Beaten chelsea twice, beaten arsenal, it's the small teams they have a problem with.

Anyway, it's just how I see it but then I'm a glass half full person.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Utter, utter nonsense.

What do you base your assertion that Carroll is the best striker in England on? Goal record? Nope, can't be that. Trophies? Nope, can't be that either.

I've yet to see Andy Carroll put in an uplayable performance against anyone, regardless of level of opposition. You absolutely cannot argue the same with regard to Rooney.

I would rather have Bent or Defoe in the England side ahead of Carroll. Certainly until he starts to actually do something of any use or value on any sort of scale at all.

Fur Cough

You are clearly insane.
Or
Having a wind up.

Can't make my mind up which it is.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Cant answer for Manure, but guess its more looking down on you lot for the past 21 years as opposed to having anything against! Patronising I think's the term! Your demise must continually cause them great amusement.

As for us southerners, its for me partially about you/your club still thinking you are the Liverpool of the 80's, when in reality you are now and have been for many years just another Newcastle, Villa, Spurs!

How can you be anything else having not won the league for 21 seasons come May! You are the modern day equivalent of Huddersfield in the 30's and Villa after the turn of the 20th century. But I bet they didnt try to live off their past glories over 2 decades on.

Combine all that with the anyone's fault but ours mentality, not to mention Heysel which always seems to get strangely forgotten, and perhaps you begin to understand? Thought not!

And as for Downing better than Walcott! Dear oh dear!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If it wasn't Liverpool and the fact that the whole world loves to take pot shots at us, you'd agree with me

Ah, here we go. You seem to have something on your shoulder there old chap, can't quite see what it is from here...

victimsupport.jpg

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Being banned from Europe for years on end.
The plastic 30 something fans who supported them when they were kids and couldn't find Liverpool on a map of the North West of England.
John Aldridge
The endless self pity
City of culture my arse.

I do like Angels though which still only charges a tenner for a dance although I wasn't so keen on the girl with bruises but thats Liverpool for you. And the all you can eat buffet in the Chinese on a Tuesday night round the corner is pretty good.

Anyone back on topic. Carroll is worth about 5-10 mill. He will be swapped with some donkey striker plus a packet of rolo's and a half price voucher for a sofa from DFS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here