Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kilroy-Silk - Absolute ARSE HAT.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
What westdene said....:clap2:

good that he makes the continual distinction between EU and Europe.

10/10

Simster your just a cardboard steriotype lefty. Your funniest when your pontificating.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Thanks for replying Westdene. when i say Europe i do mean the E.U. I wasn't implying that people want to row Britain away from the continent and drop anchor in the middle of the antlantic. And i'm not going to start calling you names either!

O.K, to respond to your points.

Whilst it needs a lot of work in sorting itself out, becoming transparent, less beareucratic(sp?!) and more representative I think what is at it's heart is a worthy ideal and is well worth working towards. You are always going to encounter problems in a project such as this and i think that they are kinks that will smooth out the longer the process goes on. As for corruption, show me a government anywhere that isn't.

What laws in Brussels are you talking about? Can you give me examples?

I don't think the countries you mention will 'jump' at the chance to work with us if we're not in the E.U. I think that working with countries such as China and the U.S we will have more leverage within the E.U.

i think that we would have more control of our future if we cede some sovereignty to the E.U than if we regain complete sovereignty. As i said before i think that if we go it alone, we will have very little influence on things outside of Britain, that when we need the big boys's help it will be on their terms and not ours. I think that being part of a bigger organisation will give us greater protection, greater leverage and ultimately greater wealth.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
garry nelsons left foot said:

Whilst it needs a lot of work in sorting itself out, becoming transparent, less beareucratic(sp?!) and more representative I think what is at it's heart is a worthy ideal and is well worth working towards. You are always going to encounter problems in a project such as this and i think that they are kinks that will smooth out the longer the process goes on.

The problem is ideals and reality rarely converge. In theory the idea of communisum is good - in practice it makes many poor people poorer and a select few very powerful - Animal Farm highlights this perfectly.

I like and agree with the founding principles of the Common Market but the EU is far and beyond the idea of "No trade barriers". As the EU has expanded so has its inability to be close to the people and the ability to react to the electorate.

As for corruption, show me a government anywhere that isn't.

Agreed but .... at least our Government are audited. The EU auditors have refused to pass the EU budget audit !

What laws in Brussels are you talking about? Can you give me examples?

To name two ( although 70% of our laws passed now are from the EU )

- The conversion from imperial to metric ( The Weights and Measures Act ) was forced upon us. This has nothing to do with trade between countries. If I want to buy my potaties in lbs I should be able to. It's landed a number of innocent shop keepers in court.

- We're forced to allow Spanish fisherman into our fishing waters but we're not allowed into most of theirs thanks to the Argriculture and Fisheries policy forced upon us by .... you've guessed it - the EU.

I think that working with countries such as China and the U.S we will have more leverage within the E.U.

The USA is at logger heads about trade barriers put in place by the EU although they are as bad. The US would probably love to trade with its closet friend without all the EU red tape.
The UK has lost defence contracts with China due to EU rules.

Basically, whilst the ideas of the project are sound, they will never benefit the people it was intended for - us. It only allows those in power to become yet more powerful, to control more people and their lives and above all become less and less accountable for their actions.

Last edited:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
hahaha strike accusing me of leftie shit

I know my stuff. Im sorry I dont usually sound arrogant but on this subject I know my stuff, and strike...im not gonna have my views dumbed down by you.

UKIP, and the essence of UKIP, are one of the reasons the Tory Party Imploded in the early 90s.

from a man who has an irrational hatred of french people, I dont think what I say should be dismissed as "leftie shit"

my ex gf was half portugese...she went off with some italian. Hasnt led me to hate either races...still respect europeans

Strike...how many UKIP candidates do you expect to retain their deposits then? 10, 7, 0?

the reason for UKIP's euro election success was partly due to the dire election turnout at european elections. Look at the result of the 1999 euro elections. The Tories performed the strongest...then did abysmally in 2001. UKIP came 3rd, they are gonna be waaaaaay off the scale. People use local/european elections as a protest vote..similar to by-elections. People will wake up to UKIP's awfulness by May

:lolol:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Westdene Seagull said:
Basically, whilst the ideas of the project are sound, they will never benefit the people it was intended for - us. It only allows those in power to become yet more powerful, to control more people and their lives and above all become less and less accountable for their actions.

Fair enough. I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Whilst I know that there are many problems-the two law examples you gave being good ones- they are only short term problems, IMO. I think that national governments sticking to their guns will ensure that the best possible deal will be reached. We're going to have to accept some crappy results in the short term to get to the positives of the future. I honestly believe that withdrawing from the E.U will harm Britain more than if we stay in and unify further, even with the drawbacks that this entails.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
bigc said:
hahaha strike accusing me of leftie shit

I know my stuff. Im sorry I dont usually sound arrogant but on this subject I know my stuff, and strike...im not gonna have my views dumbed down by you.

UKIP, and the essence of UKIP, are one of the reasons the Tory Party Imploded in the early 90s.

from a man who has an irrational hatred of french people, I dont think what I say should be dismissed as "leftie shit"

my ex gf was half portugese...she went off with some italian. Hasnt led me to hate either races...still respect europeans

Strike...how many UKIP candidates do you expect to retain their deposits then? 10, 7, 0?

the reason for UKIP's euro election success was partly due to the dire election turnout at european elections. Look at the result of the 1999 euro elections. The Tories performed the strongest...then did abysmally in 2001. UKIP came 3rd, they are gonna be waaaaaay off the scale. People use local/european elections as a protest vote..similar to by-elections. People will wake up to UKIP's awfulness by May

:lolol:
I do not have an irrational hatred of French. Dunze

I don't hate French people, just dislike them, the same way us Sussex folk dislike people from Croy***. If you went on a French footy board and said what do you think of the English, what answer would you get? Yes most would say they would dislike us. Don't see anything wrong about it.

:lolol: :jester:

Last edited:

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Strike said:
To be honest I am not sure what I am going to vote for yet, I want to vote for a party that will have good local and national policies as well as a good international one ie withdrawing from the EU and opening us up trade wise to the rest of the world.

err... so we don't trade with the rest of the world? Utter nonsense!

Being in the EU is great for trade - we are in a free-trade zone, so no duties and tariffs to be paid.

It's scary how uneducated some people are!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here