Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall **Singed for Chelsea 02/07/2024**

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
For four or five times the wages, he’d be unusual by modern footballer standards if not playing every week was more important than the money. If Chelsea are in for him we have no chance imo.
To be fair to modern footballers, I doubt there are many people ever in any industry who'd turn down 4-5 times the money to do the same or less work.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
They probably can for the Premier League. UEFA will be a different matter as they won't allow the sale of the hotel or a section of the training ground to count towards their FFP calculation.
Is there anything which proves for definite that either the PL will allow it for PSR or that UEFA definitely won't for FFP?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Without being able to easily see how the new manager's preferred system will fit with the players we have, I reckon we look like a team who are missing legs, muscle and lungs in the middle of the park.

A cute ball player and someone who can link with the attacking line, in my mind is less of a priority

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Chelsea will amortise the fee regardless.
but i assume 1/5 of the fee will have to go into this year's accounts.

Chelsea have already alluded to the fact that they can get around ffp, for this season.
If KDH goes to Chelsea, it will likely be paired with Gallagher leaving.

The way amortisation allows for clubs to pretend they've made a profit is silly. If they buy KDH for £40m and sell Gallagher for £40m (both on 4 year contracts lets say) it shouldn't be reported as a £30m profit in my opinion.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Without being able to easily see how the new manager's preferred system will fit with the players we have, I reckon we look like a team who are missing legs, muscle and lungs in the middle of the park.

A cute ball player and someone who can link with the attacking line, in my mind is less of a priority
We need a younger version of John McGinn.... it's that simple, a disrupter, a player who also pushes on and provides goals and assists.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Looked on FBref for similar players to KDH and in the top 10 matches was Marcel Hartel who currently plays for St Pauli.

As @Nobby Cybergoat said previously we need muscle and legs in midfield. Given the money issues in Ligue1 then me a few bargains that can be picked up from that league that fit the profile needed.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Given the money issues in Ligue1 then me a few bargains that can be picked up from that league that fit the profile needed.
Possibly Marseille's Jordan Veretout, who scored against us in the away game? 31 and has a year left on his contract. Nowhere as young or prolific as KDH, with five goals and five assists across all competitions last season, but could do a job.

If we were prepared to spend more there's also Youssouf Fofana, 25, at Monaco and Khephren Thuram, 23, at Nice, both with a year left on their contracts.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If KDH goes to Chelsea, it will likely be paired with Gallagher leaving.

The way amortisation allows for clubs to pretend they've made a profit is silly. If they buy KDH for £40m and sell Gallagher for £40m (both on 4 year contracts lets say) it shouldn't be reported as a £30m profit in my opinion.
It's fairly standard accountancy. If a business buys something, such as a machine to make widgets, the value of that machine is recorded as an asset so the upfront cost doesn't come off of the profits for the year, only the depreciation of its asset value.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Looked on FBref for similar players to KDH and in the top 10 matches was Marcel Hartel who currently plays for St Pauli.
He doesn't actually play for St Pauli any more. He left at the expiry of his contract at the end of this season. Supposedly he's signed for another Bundesliga club already but it's yet to be announced.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It's fairly standard accountancy. If a business buys something, such as a machine to make widgets, the value of that machine is recorded as an asset so the upfront cost doesn't come off of the profits for the year, only the depreciation of its asset value.
I get amortisation, and why businesses do it. It makes sense in that world.

I don't think football clubs should be allowed to amortise player sales. It's not a true reflection of income and outgoings. It means that you can game the system pretty easily (look at Chelsea's 8 year contracts) and always spend more than you have. It's not the same as other businesses.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I assume ted will have No input into this and it is our scouting prowess that will bring in players.

so expect some 17 year old Paraguayan to be signed and immediately be shipped out to Belgium. And a 14 year old Cuban, 19 year old Bakino Faso forward and a sensational signing from somewhere no one has ever heard of and it turns out to be Baz Savage

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I get amortisation, and why businesses do it. It makes sense in that world.

I don't think football clubs should be allowed to amortise player sales. It's not a true reflection of income and outgoings. It means that you can game the system pretty easily (look at Chelsea's 8 year contracts) and always spend more than you have. It's not the same as other businesses.
Agree completely. The way the current rules encourage clubs to farm and sell off all the players they've developed themselves is completely counterintuitive.

For football clubs to be sustainable, one thing they absolutely should be focused on, is bringing through their own academy players to the first team.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Agree completely. The way the current rules encourage clubs to farm and sell off all the players they've developed themselves is completely counterintuitive.

For football clubs to be sustainable, one thing they absolutely should be focused on, is bringing through their own academy players to the first team.
Couldn't you argue that this system still encourages teams to bring through academy talent, as without bringing them through to the first team wouldn't have any value for the "pure profit". I do think it's a shame that teams are being encouraged to sell them though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here