Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kids in Dick's (and not the other way round) pre-match of late?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can see where the club are coming from on this though. Dicks's is quite a limited capacity (abeit recently explanded by a hundred or so), but there are always queues to get in, and with the best will in the world a bar isn't really a place for kids to hang out while the old man has a few pre-match jars. There are still the concourses where kids can be fed and watered while the adults have a few beers, so I don't see it as a "bad thing" to have one child-free zone in the stadium where those without young kids can go.

Hardly a sacrifice is it.

I wouldn't be overly chuffed at standing in the queue to get in, whilst dozens of kids are in front of me with parents who insist on taking them in there early doors on matchday instead of going to the concourse. I doubt half the kids would even want to be there 2 hours before kickoff.
Yeah, we we first discussed this I was 51-49 in favour of the 'No kids' rule (and the anti-kids posters certainly made the better arguments) for pretty much the reasons you state. As Lord B says it IS the sort of place you can take kids - but that doesn't mean to say you should be allowed to.

Having said that I must admit I now don't care if they relax the rules as I don't go in there now and haven't since the first couple of games. Queuing to get in and then queuing to get served isn't my idea of fun - and I've now read all the poems and seen all the pictures. (Admittedly I haven't been in since it was expanded. Is it better now? Is the bar bigger?)

Frankly I prefer the North Stand concourse. Even in winter I don't think it'll get that cold not with all the people jammed in there.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I can see where the club are coming from on this though. Dicks's is quite a limited capacity (abeit recently explanded by a hundred or so), but there are always queues to get in, and with the best will in the world a bar isn't really a place for kids to hang out while the old man has a few pre-match jars. There are still the concourses where kids can be fed and watered while the adults have a few beers, so I don't see it as a "bad thing" to have one child-free zone in the stadium where those without young kids can go.

Hardly a sacrifice is it.

I wouldn't be overly chuffed at standing in the queue to get in, whilst dozens of kids are in front of me with parents who insist on taking them in there early doors on matchday instead of going to the concourse. I doubt half the kids would even want to be there 2 hours before kickoff.

Nail on head. Thank you Mr 10 for being the voice of reason

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My son is part of the match day for me.

But the crux is, he's not welcome in Dick's bar, which therefore makes me not welcome.

Community stadium my bloody arse.

In this context, I sympathise to a degree, as I can confirm that Peanut Roaster Jr is actually far better behaved than his old man :wink:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Because of the limited capacity I think the club have it right, although I understand your point.

What is the capacity of the new expanded bar? Have not been to the Amex for the last few games so have not been in there after expansion. Guess the queues are still there before a game?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Didn't think it was all that great, certainly not worth get upset about.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nail on head. Thank you Mr 10 for being the voice of reason

Most welcome sir.

To be honest, I was initially a bit miffed when I turned up pre-match at Dick's for the first time with my 16 year old expecting to get in, only to be turned away. But on reflection, its not really a problem. If we arrive together early then its no biggee to go straight to the concourse for beerage and pie instead, its not all that different anyway being as you're lucky to get a seat in Dick's.

Either way works for me.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
It's a bar, a place for adults. Why do parents insist on infringing on my leisure time with their unbearable offspring at every attempt? There are other options, this just seems to be another stick to beat the club with.

... and it's not that great in there anywa, but letting kids in would make it even worse.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Imo, the place isn't worth the hassle. The couple of times I've used it pre match, there's been a long wait to get in the place & equally long wait to get served in the scrum at the bar. The Swan, The Hikers or the Bar under the stand works better for me.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Blasphemy! Burn the non-believer!

... however it may be better then the AMEX burgers... they are awefull.
I've had two steak pies - both salty and bitter and one burger - yummy.

On the drinking issue, I had my first proper foray into dick's before the palarse game and it just seemed like one massive pissup. Is that really what you want to expose your kids to?

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
I am glad that others have had the chance to "read all the poems and see all the pictures". My 13 year old son and I (both season tickets holders) have not. And yes, I know it is open for children to go in on non-match days, but that is not convenient for us Brighton fans who live far away. If it was purely a bar with no memorabilia or stuff to see then I couldn't care less if they want to let my son in or not, but we do both want to see the montage (with our picture in) etc.
How about this as a solution. Open Dick's bar between 12.30 and 1.00 on a mtach day for adults and children to look around and then for adults only after that?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I am glad that others have had the chance to "read all the poems and see all the pictures". My 13 year old son and I (both season tickets holders) have not. And yes, I know it is open for children to go in on non-match days, but that is not convenient for us Brighton fans who live far away. If it was purely a bar with no memorabilia or stuff to see then I couldn't care less if they want to let my son in or not, but we do both want to see the montage (with our picture in) etc.
How about this as a solution. Open Dick's bar between 12.30 and 1.00 on a mtach day for adults and children to look around and then for adults only after that?

Same for me, we would like to see our photos on the mural but cannot, its not as if its even open at the weekends or bank holidays

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal

Completely unworkable. Sorry, it's a bar, it's for over 18's, it's just the way it is, some things will never change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here