Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kick out racist supporters

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
No matter how you look at it the English Defense League is essentially a front for racist , intolerant and non- inclusive views . Their presence in Brighton yesterday was rebuffered by a wide cross section of our very diverse society . I was saddened to see the Brighton and Hove Albion insignia displayed on a flag next to the words " NO SURRENDER " and " No to Sharia Law" . Is this a policy of the club ?. I somehow doubt it . If not then these people should be banned for life from Brighton and Hove Albion - we DO NOT NEED THEM at all. Do you know who these people are ? - if so please feel free to name and shame them - the pictures are in the Argus and on the Argus web site . Is the club prepared to do anything about this ? Let's hope they have the guts to do soemthing .

What saddens me is why so many people respond by being equally intolerant and (as you put it) non-inclusive. Let them do their thing within the parameters our laws provide (the more they talk, the more ill-educated and moronic they sound). Just think about it. Do you honestly believe (with that showing) that the march and the marchers general demeanour did anything positive to promote their cause in East Sussex? No - it wasn't nice to see our club badge involved, but there's the rub, the Albion attract fans from a broad spectrum. Your call for a witch-hunt backed up by football banning orders is excitable nonsense IMHO. As for questioning the 'guts' of BHAFC, have they been failing to tackle anti-social issues on a match day? Not to my knowledge. If anything the post-Walsall talk on here has been about over the top stewarding (something I believe they do suffer with after witnessing the treatment of 'Mouth' on Saturday.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well surely an organisation who's only belief is rascism, would not go out of their way to point out they are not rascist?

In a world where racism is considered bad, and depending on how/where it is expressed, illegal? Of course they would, don't be so ridiculous. If an organisation have a racist agenda they know they can't be explicit about so they dress it up and deny racism.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
In a world where racism is considered bad, and depending on how/where it is expressed illegal? Of course they would, don't be so ridiculous. If an organisation have a racist agenda they know they can't be explicit about so they dress it up and deny racism.

The BNP dont go out of their way to disassociate themselves. They dont state in their mission statement that they are open to all races and religions.

I am not saying i agree with any of these organisations, just i dont know much about them and am trying to find out rather than resort to a knee jerk ill informed reaction as i see quite a few here have.

As far as i can see - the EDL are opposed to Sharia Law in the UK and Extremist Muslims Jihadist teachings. This is far from being rascist.

The BNP however, do not state they are rascist, but from their mission statement it is clear that they are.

I think there is a huge difference between the two and this has to be clarified.

Maybe the clouding of the issue comes from some of the protesters being aligned to both? maybe it comes from ignorance of what the EDL actaully stands for?

If i have got things wrong or am being naive - please forgive me. As i said, just trying to find out facts.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Racist or not, have you seen what this chap with the Albion flag looks like? On aesthetics alone I'd kick him out.

It's embaressing, please don't let these images get out, I do not want a season of 'Your too ugly to be Gay', Brightonians pride themselves on liberal views and metrosexuality.

I imagine these people have used the clubs flag/logo in an atempt to make us seem like racist and a bunch of thugs, I have never seen any of this lot at a home and away game and resent them representing my club. One guy next to me at Gillingham away last season stared singing 'No Surrender' I challenged him and he just ended up stopping and wandering off, never seen him before of since.

Uglyfest images on the argus site

Attachments

• Embarres.jpg
    Embarres.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 135

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's embaressing, please don't let these images get out, I do not want a season of 'Your too ugly to be Gay', Brightonians pride themselves on liberal views and metrosexuality.

I imagine these people have used the clubs flag/logo in an atempt to make us seem like racist and a bunch of thugs, I have never seen any of this lot at a home and away game and resent them representing my club. One guy next to me at Gillingham away last season stared singing 'No Surrender' I challenged him and he just ended up stopping and wandering off, never seen him before of since.

Uglyfest images on the argus site

the bloke to the left ( sic) of the chap doing the finger pointing is a regular!

Well if they say they're not, then everything must be fine.

So what do you do then? My gut feeling is that it's essentially a front for the likes of the BNP where they are bound to gain most of their support but the police don't seem to have hard evidence that they're racist (or the march would not have happened) and the courts work on a presumption of innocent until proven guilty.

I'm guessing the club could try and stop the club badge being used (by way of exerting trademark rights) but what's to stop another flag being made with the words BHAFC being used on the march and would they then legally have to enforce the same restriction on the club badge with all flags even those used at footie games? I'm not a lawyer so don't know the answer.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If i have got things wrong or am being naive - please forgive me. As i said, just trying to find out facts.

The only naivety being shown is your comment that is essentially 'EDL say they are not racist, ergo they are not racist'.

Is there any evidence at all that the individual in question is an Albion fan or that he EVER attends matches? It is a well-known tactic of groups like the EDL to try to legitimise their activities by making claims that they are associated with "ordinary people", like football supporters. Turning up at a march with a banner that links them with the local football club is one way that they like to make such a claim.

The fact is that ANYONE can make a "football club banner". Has anyone actually seen this banner anywhere else? My guess is that the answer is NO and that there is a good chance that no-one in the EDL rabble yesterday is an Albion supporter - regular or occasional.

Unless, of course, someone likes to own up.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I imagine these people have used the clubs flag/logo in an atempt to make us seem like racist and a bunch of thugs, I have never seen any of this lot at a home and away game and resent them representing my club

I think you're going too deep into the thought behind it TBH.

I'd imagine the thought procees of the chap who had it printed went something like: I support BHAFC - I'm a member of EDL - I've seen people at other EDL marches with flags of their clubs - I know, I'll get a Brighton one made.

I've seen that flag at a home game last season, the stewards took it down but I guess they gave it back after the game.

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
The only naivety being shown is your comment that is essentially 'EDL say they are not racist, ergo they are not racist'.

Still dont understand why they wouldn't do as the BNP do and make no reference to rascism at all. I would have thought that clearly stated 'We are not rascist, we are open to all races and religions' and alegedly counting several asians amongst its supporters, is hardly a way of appealing to rascists?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is there any evidence at all that the individual in question is an Albion fan or that he EVER attends matches? It is a well-known tactic of groups like the EDL to try to legitimise their activities by making claims that they are associated with "ordinary people", like football supporters. Turning up at a march with a banner that links them with the local football club is one way that they like to make such a claim.

The fact is that ANYONE can make a "football club banner". Has anyone actually seen this banner anywhere else? My guess is that the answer is NO and that there is a good chance that no-one in the EDL rabble yesterday is an Albion supporter - regular or occasional.

I refer the right honorable gentleman to my post above.

Dandyman

In London village.
So what do you do then? My gut feeling is that it's essentially a front for the likes of the BNP where they are bound to gain most of their support but the police don't seem to have hard evidence that they're racist (or the march would not have happened) and the courts work on a presumption of innocent until proven guilty.

I'm guessing the club could try and stop the club badge being used (by way of exerting trademark rights) but what's to stop another flag being made with the words BHAFC being used on the march and would they then legally have to enforce the same restriction on the club badge with all flags even those used at footie games? I'm not a lawyer so don't know the answer.

The Police would not ban a march simply because the people involved are known or convicted racists or we would not have had 40 years of NF/BM/BNP/EDL yob parades.

As far as the club goes I hope they make their opposition to racist vermin clear and that if there is unauthorised use of trademarks then they take proper legal action.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Still dont understand why they wouldn't do as the BNP do and make no reference to rascism at all. I would have thought that clearly stated 'We are not rascist, we are open to all races and religions' and alegedly counting several asians amongst its supporters, is hardly a way of appealing to rascists?

Because the racists will naturally support their cause because it matches their ideology. It's about attracting those that are perhaps not racists, or not aware of their own racists tendencies, who see the "we're not racist" claim and accept it and join under the belief they are supporting their country, and not targetting a subsection of one particular religion.

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
Because the racists will naturally support their cause because it matches their ideology. It's about attracting those that are perhaps not racists, or not aware of their own racists tendencies, who see the "we're not racist" claim and accept it and join under the belief they are supporting their country, and not targetting a subsection of one particular religion.

Ok, fair enough :thumbsup:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Just to elaborate on my last post. Someone put that flag up at the back of J block last season (evening game towards the end, can't remember which one) and there was a big fuss because the stewards took it down and the lad was moaning because he paid £30 to get it done :lolol:

They were sitting directly behind me a couple of rows back so I heard most of it. The lads who had it were certainly fans, I don't think there's any conspiricy going on here, like I said in the last post, I doubt any of the 30 odd blokes who turned up have thought about it that deeply.

The Police would not ban a march simply because the people involved are known or convicted racists or we would not have had 40 years of NF/BM/BNP/EDL yob parades.

As far as the club goes I hope they make their opposition to racist vermin clear and that if there is unauthorised use of trademarks then they take proper legal action.

Agreed but there are now laws preventing the incitment of racial hatred and you can bet your bottom dollar that if the police could prove that the organisation that applied to march was overtly racist then it would not have happened. I'm not defending the EDL at all. I'm just wondering how one can prove that they are a racist organisation.

My other point is that if the club enforce trademark rights on this flag, are they legally obliged to enforce it on all flags whatever their intention?

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Evidence

Just out of interest, do you have any evidence that they were involved in any racist behaviour ?

Probably wouldn't stand up in court - but chanting "Allah is a Paedo" at muslims is probably racist . Yes these people are entitled to their views - but not entitled to shove them down other peoples throats -and they are racists . If they are not then who is ??

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Probably wouldn't stand up in court - but chanting "Allah is a Paedo" at muslims is probably racist . Yes these people are entitled to their views - but not entitled to shove them down other peoples throats -and they are racists . If they are not then who is ??

Is it racist or anti-religion?

I'm not meaning to soften the vulgar sentance of 'Allah is a Paedo'. But you can be white and a Muslim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here