Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

KFC - what a RIP-OFF !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
OK, so I was about and about on Saturday (getting my new GLASSES as it happens), and got a bit peckish. I don't usually bother with KFC as their chicken pieces are slimey and revolting, but I found I was hankering for a Zinger. Wifey and the boy were up for it too, so I bought a couple of Zinger meals and a filletburger. As the asian lass totalled it up and handed over my change, it had came to a bit more than I thought it would. "Hang on" I said. "The Zinger meal is...", and started attempting to piece together the transaction. As is the way of things in these joints though, her english wasn't up to scratch, and she thought I was ordering something else. Fortunately I spotted the receipt though and just said "can I have a look at that please ?", and took it away with me. As sat and guzzled my gastronomic delight, I noticed that everything I'd ordered was indeed listed on the receipt at the price I'd understood to be correct as per the sign over the till. Until I got to the bottom of the receipt - there, in black and white, was a seperate charge for VAT (about £1.80).

So there you have it. Contrary to just about every other high street fast-food junkstore in the trade, where you pay EXACTLY what is quoted on the signs over the till all inclusive of VAT, that is NOT so at KFC. The good old Colonel will slap an extra 17.5% on top of the quoted price for the pleasure of sampling his greasy wares. No biggee I suppose if you're just buying for yerself, but if your're buying several meals, or a BUCKET, it sneakily bumps it up a good couple of quid.

Thats SNIDE, that is.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I have to say in all the times I've eaten in KFC I've never had VAT added on over and above the price of the meal. Reckon you've been had mate.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
It's also illegal I think.

Are you sure that they didn't just total the VAT element of the bill, but not add it to the total, i.e. that it was actually included in the advertised price?

Do you still have the bill, and a calculater?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I also had a KFC on Saturday.

And a McDonalds.

And a Burger King.

It's the Fast Food Retail Outlet Grand Slam.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It maybe just the VAT amount being specified so it can be used as a VAT receipt for a vat claim by a business. You get the same on petrol receipts. Are you sure you actually got charged the VAT on top of the advertised price

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Asian bird owns you Easy , she saw you coming ( not literally you undertand ).

Easy = Owned by an Asian.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" also had a KFC on Saturday.

And a McDonalds.

And a Burger King. "

Are you a fat bastard Chappers

???

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I think it is Easy's adding up that could be at fault here. By law they have to inform you of what VAT you have paid. However, this cost is added to the advertised price.

Unlike in the Us where you pay a different rate of TAX above the advertised price depending on what side of the street the grease hut is on.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Legally, restaurant prices have to include VAT. It should never be included as a seperate item on your bill/receipt.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Spielberg said:
The Asian bird owns you Easy , she saw you coming ( not literally you undertand ).

Easy = Owned by an Asian.
I like asian birds and would gladly be owned by one.

I didn't take a calculator to the receipt I must admit, but the VAT was listed amongst the chicken/slime prices, so I instantly ASSUMED it was an additional charge on top of the quoted prices, giving me an overall total at the bottom...I've not got the receipt any more, and I was starving (my ribs had started to show), so I grunted my annoyance before devouring my greasy chicken bap without giving it much more thought.

I'll check it out properly next time I have a KFC (which will probably be around 2009).

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am owned by an Asian bird :clap:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
" also had a KFC on Saturday.

And a McDonalds.

And a Burger King. "

Are you a fat bastard Chappers

???

Maccy d's breakfast, KFC dinner and Burger King supper. Service station food at it's finest.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It used to be that you only paid vat on eat in food and not on takeaways. I don't know if that has changed though.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
It is illegal to quote VAT exclusive prices to non-business customers. They do, however, specify VAT on receipts for take away food. The price quoted includes the VAT element.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Chappers

Thats hardly the correct training for REMF 5 is it ???

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think KFC have always displayed the VAT... if you complain they'll send you a gift voucher though!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lammy said:
I think it is Easy's adding up that could be at fault here. By law they have to inform you of what VAT you have paid. However, this cost is added to the advertised price.

Unlike in the Us where you pay a different rate of TAX above the advertised price depending on what side of the street the grease hut is on.

Yes, very annoying that is too until you get used to it. Mind you, this is a nation who's notes of all deniminations are the same saize and colour, I think that is unique to the US.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here