Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

keymarkets and bejams

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Weird, I was only talking about Bejams to my wife randomly the other day. She had no idea wtf I was on about. Was Bejams a southern thing by any chance? As she is from Stockport originally...

Weird, I was only talking about Bejams to my wife randomly the other day. She had no idea wtf I was on about. Was Bejams a southern thing by any chance? As she is from Stockport originally...

Yeah, was (largely) a southern thing. They started out in Stanmore (in Harrow) and expanded in the 1980's by buying the Victor Value London-based chain from Tesco.

Was my first job, at the Redhill one

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
250px-Texas_Homecare_DIY_Logo-799519.png

Didn't they get taken over by the infamous Wickes ?

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Brentford Nylons!

Go in there, there was so much static you'd come out looking like Rod Hull (pre-ariel fixing mishap!)

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Cant's see a lot of the photos on this thread but has anyone mentioned Cullens?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yeah, was (largely) a southern thing. They started out in Stanmore (in Harrow) and expanded in the 1980's by buying the Victor Value London-based chain from Tesco.

Was my first job, at the Redhill one

Are you sure as Victor Value was takern over by Tesco I thought in the early 70s. Bejam started as a company owned by 2 brothers Brian and Edward James, I think.

There was a Victor Value in Worthing which I am reasonably sure became a Tesco while Bejam were still operating.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
I used to work for Bejams way back in 1988 started at 15 earning £1.16 an hour. The uniform was a blue overall with a yellow and grey stripe down the side. You hated getting sent out to do a trolley run as it was deemed embarrassing to be seen in the uniform.

[yt]seCdWIhv9Fg[/yt]

Are you sure as Victor Value was takern over by Tesco I thought in the early 70s. Bejam started as a company owned by 2 brothers Brian and Edward James, I think.

There was a Victor Value in Worthing which I am reasonably sure became a Tesco while Bejam were still operating.

Yeah, Tesco bought Victor Value in the late 60's and turned some of the bigger ones into Tescos, but kept the VV brand for others. Then sold what was left to Bejam in the 80s.

Bejam was named after the founding directors Brain, Eric, John (who was the MD, also owned Majestic until a few years ago), and Milly (John's mum)

Nov 20, 2003
hove
nice people with nice prices thats international ........used to with my mum in western road for food shoping then they delivered it home in big boxes after i would turn into a camp or bus happy days

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You realise if this thread reaches 5 pages, we'd have written Peter Kay's next stand up tour, and will all be entitled to royalties.

Dalgety - they were similar to Bejams. Going back a very long way, Pricerite who used to give pink stamps (not green). What happened to pink and green stamps?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here