Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kevin Phillips was a target for Gus

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
according to Andy Naylor on Twitter a couple of minutes ago. Says Gus spoke to Phillips as well as CMS

That is all

D

Deleted User X18H

according to Andy Naylor on Twitter a couple of minutes ago. Says Gus spoke to Phillips as well as CMS

That is all

Gus didn't say that a the breifing this morning. Or not that I heard.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
CMS all the way!!

We got the better of the two IMO

:albion2:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Gus certainly didn't say that, when talking about Philips at the press breifiing this morniing.

Really?! I got the impression he was a target once he'd said 'we've watched him a lot'. Could have just been a reference to him being about donkeys yrs but i think more to it than that. As for all the sarcastic comments I genuinly didn't know this was common knowledge and thought it was just NSC speculation?! Have i missed something!?

D

Deleted User X18H

Really?! I got the impression he was a target once he'd said 'we've watched him a lot'. Could have just been a reference to him being about donkeys yrs but i think more to it than that. As for all the sarcastic comments I genuinly didn't know this was common knowledge and thought it was just NSC speculation?! Have i missed something!?

They watched him a lot but I didn't get the impression an approach was made. I think this could be from sources close to, rather than from the horses mouth.

But hey I could be wrong.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Phillips was preumably our second target and we are now looking for another striker to both complement CMS and give us some higher league experience and something different up front. Hopefully that signing comes off

I guess Blackpool must have been prepared to pay more than ourselves and Watford (who Naylor says he also spoke to) ................................ just goes to show as Mr Holloway rightly points out - it isn't down to football success or the size of the club but how much more someone like Blackpool is prepared to pay :D

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Gus didn't say that a the breifing this morning. Or not that I heard.

It's okay HB&B I'm sure that everyone has noted that YOU WERE AT GUS' PRESS CONFERENCE TODAY and I'm sure it's disappointing that no-one has asked how or why but this is something Naylor said in the last hour and has nothing to do with your undoubtably uplifting experience earlier in the day :p :D

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
really? he could say literally any name. could mean they chatted at a footballing shindig, im sure managers talk to alot of players.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Along with Owen,Hargreaves,barton,Parker,keane.

When we play peterborough next week it will be George boyd.
Followed by maynard at Bristol city & anybody at Leicester.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some fairly reliably "in the know" people on here told us about a year ago that Phillips was a target.

D

Deleted User X18H

Some fairly reliably "in the know" people on here told us about a year ago that Phillips was a target.

Yes but that was at League 1 level and wasn't going to happen. We shall see today if the not so young Kev has had a good pre season and really can cope with the pace of the Championship, I presume Holloway will start with him. He was 38 earlier this year. Remember, Dean Windass played on the adrenaline of playing for his home town club.

Probably pop into Hills for a Philips to score at any time price though.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'm genuinely shocked by this. A very good player, but does not fit Poyet's normal profile of young with something to prove.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm genuinely shocked by this. A very good player, but does not fit Poyet's normal profile of young with something to prove.

Gus has this reputation, but i know that we also had discussions with Johnathan Woodgate, so i think he is quite happy to look at older players as long as he believes they have the right mental attitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here