Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kevin Blackwell leave Leeds (Boo Hoo Hoo)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Feel a bit sorry for the bloke as he performed a thankless task quite well for a spell. But he's always had that 'lame duck' look under Bates - and as TLB has said, he has been talking nonsense for months now.

The latest was prior to the Barnet tie yesterday, saying they'd landed the 'plum draw' of the round. That despite the fact that Everton and a number of other far bigger Premiership clubs were in action.

You have to think the timing is to do with current availability of alternatives, which points to Curbs.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
enigma said:
Why? He turned down the West Brom job, and while they are a smaller club they are in a much better position to go back up.

He's already implied he'll only consider Premiership teams anyway.

You would think, but I can imagine Ken Bates climbing over people to sign up Curbishley, especially as the fans appear to be somewhat bemused by their position in the league. He would no doubt get some money as well....

E

enigma

Monsieur Leclerc said:
You would think, but I can imagine Ken Bates climbing over people to sign up Curbishley, especially as the fans appear to be somewhat bemused by their position in the league. He would no doubt get some money as well....

I wouldn't rule it out completely, but it would seem strange for him to go back on what he said.

How much money do they have? I know their debts are pretty small now, but they dont have the luxury of parachute payments anymore.

E

enigma

Les Biehn said:
Not sure why he thinks he will have the choice.

To be fair, he did do a pretty good job at Charlton, although he did stay longer than he should have.

I wouldn't be surprised to see mid-table Premiership teams interested in him.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
enigma said:
I wouldn't rule it out completely, but it would seem strange for him to go back on what he said.

How much money do they have? I know their debts are pretty small now, but they dont have the luxury of parachute payments anymore.

I think Bates said they will be debt free, this time next year.

They are the sort of club - 'European Champions :jester: ' - that will always attract investors.

Hopefully I am wrong as I think he could do a lot better than Leeds.

E

enigma

Good work by Ken Bates- much as he has done a good job in reducing debt there etc, giving Blackwell a three year deal in March and sacking him six months later isn't the brightest thing he'll ever do. :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
enigma said:
Good work by Ken Bates- much as he has done a good job in reducing debt there etc, giving Blackwell a three year deal in March and sacking him six months later isn't the brightest thing he'll ever do. :lolol:
Isn't that just the Leeds way though ? They were still paying O'Leary for yonks after he was given the heave-ho. And Fowler when he went to City. Its all the RAGE you know.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Wozza said:
Please let it be O'Leary. PLEASE.

one of my leeds supporting friends said he would love to see him back

E

enigma

Easy 10 said:
Isn't that just the Leeds way though ? They were still paying O'Leary for yonks after he was given the heave-ho. And Fowler when he went to City. Its all the RAGE you know.

Indeed it is. I just find it funny after Bates has repeatedly (and rightly) slagged off Ridsdale, and yet this is the kind of thing Publicity Pete would have done.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Scotty M said:
one of my leeds supporting friends said he would love to see him back
I assume he's not actually FROM Leeds, he'd probably get his head kicked in for saying that.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
enigma said:
Indeed it is. I just find it funny after Bates has repeatedly (and rightly) slagged off Ridsdale, and yet this is the kind of thing Publicity Pete would have done.

Time will tell on that! Bates is in it for himself.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Silent Bob said:
I assume he's not actually FROM Leeds, he'd probably get his head kicked in for saying that.

I wouldn't be so sure, there are a significant number of Leeds fans who would welcome him back with open arms. And think that he did no wrong and it was all Ridsdale, Bow, Woody etc.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Silent Bob said:

i found it utterly bizare at the time, cant see it happening

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tooting Gull said:
Feel a bit sorry for the bloke as he performed a thankless task quite well for a spell.
Give me 5 or 6 million quid at Championship level and I'd perform said "thankless task" quite well too.

Bah! He was only ever a miracle worker in his own eyes. The rest of us knew he was a clown.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Simster said:
Give me 5 or 6 million quid at Championship level and I'd perform said "thankless task" quite well too.

Bah! He was only ever a miracle worker in his own eyes. The rest of us knew he was a clown.

f***ing spot on.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
I actaually believe Blackwell come to Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here