Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kerry please note Testimonial News

Harty said:
Dick Knight didn't think Sociedad were big enough box office!!!!
Seriously the whole thing has been a farce from start to finsh but perhaps the truth will out on a Saturday on SCR after 5...........

If you had any respect for Kerry Mayo, you would shut up. Do you honestly think he wants the mistakes of his testamonial arrangements plastered all over the phone-in? Get a grip.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
edna krabappel said:
Without wishing this to come across as some kind of a slight on Mayo, why do footballers get testimonials?

If you worked for say, Barclays Bank, for ten years, would they turn around and say "hey, you know what, we're about to commence a year of festivities in order to celebrate your loyalty, including a black tie dinner, a night at the dogs, a pro-celebrity golf tournament and a one off cricket match against the Eastbourne branch of HSBC?

Footballers are no worse off financially than most of us, in fact they're better paid in the majority of cases, no matter how much they try to claim that lower league players are on the poverty line, so the idea of a testimonial seems strange in this day and age.

As for it being a chance for the fans to show their loyalty- well I do that by forking out hundreds of pounds a season....

Not intended as a slight on Mayo, just the whole footballers' benefit thing.
In the 'old day's though, when footballers earnt a wage comparable to that of other working men when you retired you were out on your ear. Your mates had all had 10 or so years to learn a trade or make career progressions whilst you played sport. The testimonial fund was to set you up for the next part of your life as job-wise you were going to be starting from scratch.

Possibly it is a bit of an outdated concept for footballers nowadays, but probably not for cricketers. One of my friends was a professional cricketer and when he retired he was pretty miserable: "I've chased a little red ball round a field for 12 years", he said, "what use am I to anyone?" Pleased to say he sorted bimself out eventually and is now doing very well.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
London Irish said:
If you had any respect for Kerry Mayo, you would shut up. Do you honestly think he wants the mistakes of his testamonial arrangements plastered all over the phone-in? Get a grip.
What LI said. And yet another example of the pathetic shit-stirring that makes the brain donors support group that is the post-match phone in such a waste of both an opportunity and airtime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here