sir danny cullip said:
Explain...please....:)

I couldn't possible comment.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
You're barking up the wrong tree, I'm afraid, Dave.

dont think I am on this one Alan

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Harty said:
To quote the words of the legendary Gary Glitter, due to a purchase of another funeral business and the inheriting a two full time staff, "Hello hello I'm back again"
See you all at Rotherham..................

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

i dont think even those smilies can express my joy

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I dont think I am.

This could go on for ever:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Without wishing this to come across as some kind of a slight on Mayo, why do footballers get testimonials?

If you worked for say, Barclays Bank, for ten years, would they turn around and say "hey, you know what, we're about to commence a year of festivities in order to celebrate your loyalty, including a black tie dinner, a night at the dogs, a pro-celebrity golf tournament and a one off cricket match against the Eastbourne branch of HSBC?

Footballers are no worse off financially than most of us, in fact they're better paid in the majority of cases, no matter how much they try to claim that lower league players are on the poverty line, so the idea of a testimonial seems strange in this day and age.

As for it being a chance for the fans to show their loyalty- well I do that by forking out hundreds of pounds a season....

Not intended as a slight on Mayo, just the whole footballers' benefit thing.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I suppose its the 'short career' thing. Usually testimonials were for when players retired (this was when the players were no better paid than the rest of us befoe abolition of minimum wage) and its kind of stuck.

So its the equivalent of getting a carriage clock or a watch when you retire from somewhere after x years service?

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Barclays Bank won't give you the spanish violin because you're 35 and getting fat. I should know.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bozza said:
Why don't you "put up or shut up" Dave, as they say?

I have you Nazi

dont go throwing your weight around bucko

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
edna krabappel said:
Without wishing this to come across as some kind of a slight on Mayo, why do footballers get testimonials?

If you worked for say, Barclays Bank, for ten years, would they turn around and say "hey, you know what, we're about to commence a year of festivities in order to celebrate your loyalty, including a black tie dinner, a night at the dogs, a pro-celebrity golf tournament and a one off cricket match against the Eastbourne branch of HSBC?

Footballers are no worse off financially than most of us, in fact they're better paid in the majority of cases, no matter how much they try to claim that lower league players are on the poverty line, so the idea of a testimonial seems strange in this day and age.

As for it being a chance for the fans to show their loyalty- well I do that by forking out hundreds of pounds a season....

Not intended as a slight on Mayo, just the whole footballers' benefit thing.

Yes, but when Kerry retires from football he will have to seek new employment which I imagine isnt the easiest thing in the world. If you have say worked for a Bank for the last 10 years you i) wouldnt have to retire (unless made redundent) and ii) move to another bank

Banks also provide good pensions, far better than anything Kerry has been able to invest in.

If any of us decided to seek a completely different career that would be our choice, Kerry will not get the choice in the near future

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here