Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Kemptown Election Candidates

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
So why use the term 'parachuted in'
because it would seem he had no previous experience with the local labour party , the local party weren't involved and rumour has it he was appointed whilst they were still interviewing Nancy Platts... Maybe parachuted in is not the correct phrase but sure looks like it to me.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Do you disbelieve everything that is on Google?
No but what I thought I might get (big mistake) is some serious comment from NSCers , some of whom must be local and some of whom might be close enough to the local Labour Party, to give some informed background. Instead I get a lot of ..................

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Ah yes.
It seems he's been parachuted in from...

.... Brighton

The party said: “Labour has today (Thursday 30 May) announced its candidate to contest the Brighton Kemptown and Peacehaven constituency in the general election on Thursday 4 July.

“Chris was born and grew up in Brighton and has spent decades fighting for a brighter future for our country.”

After his selection, Mr Ward said: “It’s an enormous honour to be selected as Labour’s candidate for Brighton Kemptown and Peacehaven – the city I grew up in and the city I love.
Interesting as one of the articles that I read said he went to school in Worthing.

Nothing that I have read so far has said anything about his personal views or any details e.g. when was the last time he lived in Brighton .

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Peacehaven is part of the Kemptown constituency by the way. The seat is literally called 'Brighton Kemptown and Peacehaven'. Hardly an interloper if he was brought up in the f***ing seat boundaries😂
That's my point exactly. He may well be a central office appointee but at least they picked someone with a connection to the seat he is standing in.

It's a fact that owen jones and the other rentamob ex momentum national student politics types seemed to ignore

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I kind of agree even though LRM was a complete twat and not my cup of tea. Sitting MPs shouldn't just be shoved aside by any party - only the electorate.
As a member of the party it would be wrong for me to say anything on this.

As a complete aside, politics home reported that the complaint actually came from a hard left ex party member who fell out with lrm and lodged it at a time that meant it couldn't be concluded before naming candidates closed. If labour central office wanted him out they wouldnt have supported his re selection 18months ago

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
No but what I thought I might get (big mistake) is some serious comment from NSCers , some of whom must be local and some of whom might be close enough to the local Labour Party, to give some informed background. Instead I get a lot of ..................
I am in the party and I answered you

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I agree with your second point however with regards to the first, it ain’t gonna happen. It’s an absolute certainty Labour will win this seat.
As I've said elsewhere the complaint is believed to have come from a hard left ex labour member..hardly a starmerite

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As a member of the party it would be wrong for me to say anything on this.

As a complete aside, politics home reported that the complaint actually came from a hard left ex party member who fell out with lrm and lodged it at a time that meant it couldn't be concluded before naming candidates closed. If labour central office wanted him out they wouldnt have supported his re selection 18months ago
That's fair enough. But if I were a Kemptown Labour voter, which I'm not, I wouldn't be voting Labour because of how LRM 'appears' to have been treated.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I agree with your second point however with regards to the first, it ain’t gonna happen. It’s an absolute certainty Labour will win this seat.
I wouldn't be so sure - it used to be a Tory seat and the Greens could also take it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wait, so he’s been parachuted in from somewhere so far distant it also falls within the free travel zone for Brighton home games?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
That's fair enough. But if I were a Kemptown Labour voter, which I'm not, I wouldn't be voting Labour because of how LRM 'appears' to have been treated.
LRM has been publicly supporting labour. One if his former team has been outspoken but he himself has asked people to vote labour

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am in the party and I answered you
Thank you and I appreciate your answer as it gave me a bit more info (and contradicted what I had read which indicated upbringing in Worthing).

What it doesn't say is what he has been doing since growing up and the reading I have don would indicate he has had nothing to do with local politics .

Yesterday it dawned on me that the voting was this Thursday and I hadn't got a clue about the Labour candidate who I was going to vote for . Having read various bits still not any clearer.

How long has he been a season ticket holder?

Is the Nancy Platt rumour actually true?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Wait, so he’s been parachuted in from somewhere so far distant it also falls within the free travel zone for Brighton home games?
He's had no connection with local politics and was a central appointee at the cost of someone heavily involved with local politics for many years....

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Thank you and I appreciate your answer as it gave me a bit more info (and contradicted what I had read which indicated upbringing in Worthing).

What it doesn't say is what he has been doing since growing up and the reading I have don would indicate he has had nothing to do with local politics .

Yesterday it dawned on me that the voting was this Thursday and I hadn't got a clue about the Labour candidate who I was going to vote for . Having read various bits still not any clearer.

How long has he been a season ticket holder?

Is the Nancy Platt rumour actually true?
So he went to uni and became a campaigner for labour. He then left and became a political lobbyist for energy companies (ironically working on gaining govt support for moving to carbon neutral). He has also lobbied for some gambling companies.

He went back to labour to become a campaign coordinator for starmer's leadership bid and then became his speech writer.

I understand he has been a season ticket holder since 2014

As for Nancy platts she has tried to win two seats in brighton (lost pavilion to greens in 2010 and kemptown to tories in 2015). There were concerns her 2015 campaigning was lacklustre. She was a great leader of the council until the failure to deal with antisemitism caused 3 councillors to be suspended and ended the labour lead and it meant greens took over.

It is said that michael crick tweeted that chris ward would be the btn kemptown candidate while she was being interviewed. It wasn't a labour announcement and they official statement came 3 hrs after her interview. That says to me that ward was favourite but no decision had formally been taken

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here