Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keepers

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
What the hell is going on with us and dodgy keepers?

Yelldell
Shaaban
Henderson
French bloke

Thats 4 dodgy keepers out of the last 5 we have bought to the club! If we dont get a decent one in this season then we are down, end of!

To think I didnt think Blayney was all that :shootself

Sammy the seagull

Aug 10, 2005
Brighton
blayney was class
henderson is getting better

Sammy the seagull

Aug 10, 2005
Brighton
bew4194 said:
Chaigneau might as well go back to Rennes as far as i'm concerned.:drink: :drink:
how can you say that after one game you havent even watched.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
3 goals conceded though.

Defence again?

Yoda

English & European
A keeper can only be as good as the defence infront of him.

Look at Schmeichel & Seaman. Both outstanding, World class keepers at Manure & ARSEnal and conceded more goals at Man City in half a season than they did in a whole one at their previous clubs.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The keeper and defence have got to build up an understanding and that doesn't happen in one match.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yoda said:
A keeper can only be as good as the defence infront of him.

Look at Schmeichel & Seaman. Both outstanding, World class keepers at Manure & ARSEnal and conceded more goals at Man City in half a season than they did in a whole one at their previous clubs.
But both were past their best, and anyway Schmeichal was still class at Man City. Seaman less so. :lolol:

Yoda

English & European
Silent Bob said:
But both were past their best, and anyway Schmeichal was still class at Man City. Seaman less so. :lolol:

If they were "past their best", how come they still had blinders the year before they both moved?

A good keeper won't have to make many saves.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
So you're saying Seaman wasn't past his best? England v Macedonia? They still had blinders because they were both quality keepers, just past their best. ???

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I was stood within 10 yards of the goal-line tonight - I didn't hear a single call from Flo to any of the players at any time.

Even when Tank gave away a free kick on the edge of the box and the lads formed a wall, I heard no call for the number of players the keeper wanted in the wall and no left/right adjustments to position the wall. I assume he speaks English??

In the end the kick hit another Shrews player and was cleared to safety.

He punched a couple of crosses away, caught a couple and flapped/missed a couple. I was at the wrong end for the 2nd goal so couldn't really see, but the 2 down our end he didn't have much chance with - the winner should have been blocked by Hammond to prevent the cross (but Tank should have done that for him anyway if he were fast enough). The first goal came about by Reid failing to jump for a header that was then laid off and blasted into the net.

Don't think the keeper was at fault for either of these - that said, a good shot stopper like FDM "MAY" have fared better (but obviously impossible to compare outcome)

Last edited:

jolson

Aug 8, 2005
Isn't this all old bollocks?

I seem to remember the boo-boys HATED Michel Kuipers, much like they do Henderson, for the first few months he was here. Remember Kuipers carrying the ball over the line at home to Hartlepool? Flapping at crosses?

It's all nonsense. Keepers are confidence players like anyone else, and one good game under his belt and this Chaigneau might go on to be the next French national keeper.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
jolson said:
Isn't this all old bollocks?

I seem to remember the boo-boys HATED Michel Kuipers, much like they do Henderson, for the first few months he was here. Remember Kuipers carrying the ball over the line at home to Hartlepool? Flapping at crosses?

It's all nonsense. Keepers are confidence players like anyone else, and one good game under his belt and this Chaigneau might go on to be the next French national keeper.

He still flaps at crosses

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
He WAS at fault majorly for the second goal tonight.He decided to dissapear off somewhere near the corner flag (im serious),leaving the Shrews player with an open goal.

I've got a funny feeling this one might come good.But tonight he was pretty poor:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here