Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keeley leaves the Albion.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
im a **** steve fosters a lump of shit at least im in good company

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Had the pleasure of meeting him at SOL, really nice funny bloke.

Loved his story of him having to rush back to the Goldstone and play when Digweed broke his finger. Unfortunately he was down the pub with his mates and had quite a few beers and a couple of meat pies.

Doesn't remember the game.

Good luck to him, he deserves it.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
In the cold light of day Macky whilst I don't agree with what you said I apologise for using the 'c' word in the heat of debate.
I assure you Kilo has not jumped ship and a pound to a penny I can bet what the telephone conversation will be between Messrs Knight and Perry this morning.

Knight " Can you smell it in Brighton Martin because I can smell it here in Spain"
Perry "What's that Dick"
Knight "Compensation, you silly boy!"

macky

Dec 28, 2004
no problemi have been called worse
but as good a bloke as he is
i still dont think he's a legend

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Withdean Wanderer said:
We don't. For all we know, the club might not have even offered him a contract....

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
John Keeley, Albion's departing goalkeeping coach, revealed today that Portsmouth have made him an offer "I couldn't refuse".

The Seagulls' stalwart is leaving with a heavy heart to become the Premiership club's Academy goalkeeping coach from July on a two-year contract.

Keeley's move along the South Coast, announced yesterday on The Argus website www.theargus.co.uk, ends a ten-year association with Albion over two spells, first as No. 1 from 1986 to 1990 and then as kit man and full-time goalkeeping coach after returning in 2001.

He has been lured to Fratton Park by David Coles, who was briefly signed by the Seagulls as cover for Keeley 18 years ago.

Keeley, 45, said: "It's an offer I couldn't refuse. I've got a lot of time for Brighton and I'm sad to be going but sometimes you get an offer which you just cannot turn down.

"I'll be working with the 16-18 year-olds during the day and then for one or two nights at the Academy with David, the goalkeeping coach there. He was the one who asked me to go in.

"It's a new challenge and I am excited about it. I am leaving behind some good friends, people I have known for a long time, so at the moment I feel a little bit down about it but all the people I have spoken to think it is the right thing to do."

A disappointed Albion boss Dean Wilkins said: "We have been planning for next season with John as part of those plans but I have been in football long enough to know nothing surprises me."

Albion are in the process of indentifying a replacement for Keeley, with Stewart Murdoch the favourite.

The Sompting-based former MK Dons manager used to be a goalkeeper and is a qualified goalkeeping coach.

One of the first tasks for Keeley's Albion successor will be to help identify a new No. 1 for next season.

Long-serving Michel Kuipers has been offered another year but a succession of Albion managers, including current boss Dean Wilkins, have regarded the Dutchman as second choice.

Kuipers' current understudy is John Sullivan. The youngster has usurped the recently released Richard Martin in the pecking order but is yet to make a first team appearance.

The Seagulls have also just awarded a one-year professional contract to scholar Chris Winterton.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/arg...17743.0.albion_stalwart_sad_to_be_leaving.php

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Harty said:
I can bet what the telephone conversation will be between Messrs Knight and Perry this morning.

Knight " Can you smell it in Brighton Martin because I can smell it here in Spain"
Perry "What's that Dick"
Knight "Compensation, you silly boy!"

Harty - there you go again, stirring things up with allegations.

The club would be unlikely to receive any compensation as I doubt Keeley would have had a contract with BHA FC.

Also, whilst a few may agree with your sentiments, myself and a majority of other Brighton supporters are really getting tired with what seems to be your constant sniping at the board.

I wonder...Do you and Andy Naylor get together every week and think of different ways to wind people at the club up? as that's how it seems at the moment.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
supaseagull said:
Harty - there you go again, stirring things up with allegations.

The club would be unlikely to receive any compensation as I doubt Keeley would have had a contract with BHA FC.

Also, whilst a few may agree with your sentiments, myself and a majority of other Brighton supporters are really getting tired with what seems to be your constant sniping at the board.

I wonder...Do you and Andy Naylor get together every week and think of different ways to wind people at the club up? as that's how it seems at the moment.

In answer to your points raised.

John had a contract so compensation could be on the cards

Supaseagull, that's not your real name surely?, who do you represent to make such a sweeping statement about the majority of Albion supporters?

Prepare yourself for a shock but there is life beyond the internet, and I assure you that if the majority of Albion supporters didn't with what I said or did, I would do the decent thing and step down.

I quite willing to invite you to the first home game and you can and chat to a large of Albion supporters, which I do both home and away, some of which probably don't even come on NSC and I think you will be quite surprised at some of the opnions you will hear.

Offers on the table 'supaseagull'

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Harty said:

Supaseagull, that's not your real name surely?, who do you represent to make such a sweeping statement about the majority of Albion supporters?

Prepare yourself for a shock but there is life beyond the internet, and I assure you that if the majority of Albion supporters didn't with what I said or did, I would do the decent thing and step down.

I quite willing to invite you to the first home game and you can and chat to a large of Albion supporters, which I do both home and away, some of which probably don't even come on NSC and I think you will be quite surprised at some of the opnions you will hear.

Other Albion fans?!! you must be mistaken!

Brighton will recieve money if Keeley has/does go to Portsmouth

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Harty said:

:thumbsup:

Col P

Feb 13, 2006
all the best john thanks for all the great service over the years

And yes :albion: LEGEND:bowdown:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've just heard about this.

He is up there with all the early 90s heroes of mine and when he warmed up the keepers before a game at the Withdean say, I'd still get a frisson of excitement at seeing him.

Sounds a bit gay, but isn't really.

And we've got to get compensation. Try doing that on FM2007, you pay through the nose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here