Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keane - The most successful group in the UK since the Beatles.

Keane - The most successful group since the Beatles

• Yes - they are superb

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Meh - not bothered either way

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • No - they are posh boys with no place in pop

Votes: 22 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Listening to it now. I like it but then I like a lot of other things as well, and it definitely fits into a pigeon hole marked "Coldplayish sounding catchy tunes that sound quite good on the radio and will sell to upwardly mobile types by the shedload".

Why this obsession with posh/not posh in music? James Blunt is a prime candidate (indifferent to his music, but he has led an interesting life and always amuses me in his interviews), as mentioned Keane are perceived as "posh" but where do you draw the line and should there need to be one. I like Frank Turner's music, should I stop liking it because he was in the same year at Eton as Prince William? Joe Strummer went to boarding school and his dad was a diplomat, I don't recall him being disowned by fans of the Clash because of this.

It should just be about the music.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Listening to it now. I like it but then I like a lot of other things as well, and it definitely fits into a pigeon hole marked "Coldplayish sounding catchy tunes that sound quite good on the radio and will sell to upwardly mobile types by the shedload".

Why this obsession with posh/not posh in music? James Blunt is a prime candidate (indifferent to his music, but he has led an interesting life and always amuses me in his interviews), as mentioned Keane are perceived as "posh" but where do you draw the line and should there need to be one. I like Frank Turner's music, should I stop liking it because he was in the same year at Eton as Prince William? Joe Strummer went to boarding school and his dad was a diplomat, I don't recall him being disowned by fans of the Clash because of this.

James Blunt is a good example but he is a cracking good bloke and I still think your beautiful is a great song. Keane have been labelled many times on this site as " posh boys " but I think they have made some crackingly beautiful and haunting songs.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I saw them play our uni before they were famous, I'll always remember turning to my mate halfway through and saying 'they're alright this lot, but they'll never make it cos they've got a fat lad singing'. Shows what I know!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

This - I find some peoples obsession with the class and background of various musical artists a little bewildering.

I still don't like James Blunt though :thumbsup: :)

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Sales mean bugger all other than their audience not knowing where to download their tripe for free.

Not a fan, obviously.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think I'm missing something here... Jesse sounds more American to me!

I was raised in Newhaven. No one was called Jesse. Ergo posh.

Jun 18, 2011
tunbridge wells
James Blunt is a good example but he is a cracking good bloke and I still think your beautiful is a great song. Keane have been labelled many times on this site as " posh boys " but I think they have made some crackingly beautiful and haunting songs.
They have in the past been to a pub quiz in my local in t.w. and were nice blokes, down to earth n stuff. Because they went to Tonbridge School they're labelled posh boys, go back thru time plenty of muso's went to " posh" schools but havent been labelled posh. Genesis for example were labelled "shite".

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think they're absolutely magnificent. I can't understand why anyone would have problems with a 'posh' act. My favourite bands/singers include Keane, James Blunt, Gary Barlow, Adele. Ok, you can't really call the latter two posh, but they're all decent, respectable and beautiful human beings. I'll happily idolise people like that over some of the scum you see get famous these days.

And I predict big things for Strangeland. It's safe to say that Silenced By The Night is a TUNE.

This.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

I do find I like Frank Turner a little less since I found out he has right wing opinions.

His solo stuff was never as good as Million Dead anyway. :angel:

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I think Keane are alright. I liked their 1st album (hopes and fears) some very lovely tracks on it. Haven't bought any of their other stuff but when I hear it on the radio I like it. It pisses me off no end when it becomes fashionable to slag off a singer or band ( ooo look, i'm so hip and alternative, i'll show everyone i'm such an individual by joining in with the pack to slag off this singer or that band) I'm not that fussed by James blunt but I thought it was disgusting the amount of abuse he got a couple of years back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here