Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kazim-Richards to Fenerbache

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Im glad we'll get some cash, if Wilkins had more influence with the team at an earlier stage I think CKR's albion career would have had a much better change of being salvaged. The Rotherham incident is what sticks in my mind rather than the few goals he scored for us and im afraid a young player showing such disrespect to the fans (whether or not he meant it he never apologised to the fans) is absolutely shocking and he won't get any good lucks from me because of that. Not that I imagine he gives a shit!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Badge, I wasn't stating that they had been Coke players, merely offering suggestions. I would agree that the money is a windfall and should be used on players, UNLESS this money were to stop us going insolvent (Not that I believe that is the case).

It may be that money originally earmarked for transfers has been redirected towards Falmer and the windfall money has replaced it.

As for sudden desire to leave. I think it was clear that we were always a stepping stone and he certainly 'changed' when rumours that the Wolves were closing in.

Perhaps you should write to the club about the Coke money. We have now (sadly) lost insider who may/or may not have been able to shed some light on this.

I don't believe we (the fans) are being robbed and we are a sensible club (with the odd exception). We stick to a budget and operate at a relatively sustainable level.

Perhaps some of this money could be used to tempt Forster or Constantine? ???

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Perhaps some of this money could be used to tempt Forster or Constantine? ???

I would sincerely hope the sell on money goes firmly where it belongs...straight into the transfer budget.

Personally i think that WILL actually happen. But to be fair I have been accused of being far too rose-tinted for my own good on this matter at times!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I certainly wasn't suggesting that you thought that there was something awry or sinister going on. Merely offering potential outlets of the money involved.

On CKR, he did seem to talk the talk when he joined, but I rarely saw him walk the walk (I only went to the home games). I felt that he lost interest when the going got tough and when we really needed people to knuckle down in the dogfight, he seemed to disappear off the radar.

One factor as to whether this money has been used is why would they need to let us know whether it has been spent? From the clubs point of view, CKR has come and gone. What happens when money is spent on another player and that turns up a profit? Should they let us know how that has been spent? The line has to be drawn somewhere.

From your previous posts, it is conclusive that you would be annoyed if this money wasn't used as such. How would you feel if the coke money had 'replaced' the previous budget. I don't have the figures of the clubs finances in front of me and would trust the board to make the right decision (I hope). Although, I would love for this money to be ploughed into the side - I am not an accountant!
NB I am not wearing the rose tinted glasses - merely stating an 'opposing' viewpoint.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
As for using that money on other players, I'm not in a position to say you are wrong, and that the club haven't used it already. But, the big factor for me is that if they had, why would they not reveal it? They would gain more respect for telling us all that the coke money financed Whing, or Savage, or whoever. The silence suggests they haven't.

Isn't it common knowledge that the CKR transfer money from Sheff Utd was used to pay MM off? I always thought that anyway....

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Isn't it common knowledge that the CKR transfer money from Sheff Utd was used to pay MM off? I always thought that anyway....

Not as far as i'm aware. It went straight into the playing budget.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Can't understand the whinges about any of the CKR business. The club used the 250k wisely and identified a real prospect who had the added bonus of being an investment. In total we will have been given 250k towards a player plus wages and recouped about 350k in transfer/sell ons. The only shame is CKR's ability and attitude meant we didn't keep hold of him as he is a real talent.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yeah sure, you offer a good argument rather than the traditional nsc tirade of abuse against anyone questioning Mr Knight. On CKR himself, I know he wasn't consistently great, but in a diabolical season, he was a glimmer of class (at times). To be honest, I think his heart was in it just as much as most of the squad that year.

The point of yours I am most interested in is the 'what if the money had been spent on someone else, and then that turns up a profit?' I did say earlier that, potentially, the coke money could go on for years if we signed player after player and made a profit each time. However, I wouldn't expect this to be the case. What I think is fair to say is that CKR was signed on a THREE year contract, and as such his wages reflected that. Had we signed a player for one year on £3k a week, then I wouldn't be having this argument. But, the money was to be used to pay his wages for three years.

So,
a) Shouldn't the remaining two years worth of wages still be available as an addition to the playing budget?

b) Shouldn't the profit made on transfer fees, as we sold him BEFORE his contract had expired, also still be available?

They're the two points I would like answered. I just find it incredibly naughty that the club have only used a portion of the £250k prize, and basically pocketed the rest, and when you throw in the transfer fee we received plus the sell-on they have actually made a significant profit. In my opinion that is not, and never has been, right.

Certainly I would rather the money of the remainder of his contract were used and indeed the profits, but I think we now reach a certain point where the money goes in one big pot. I would imagine that we had budgets in mind before any of this CKR business cropped up. I have no idea how much money is readily available to use on the club, but considering we are losing c£30k a week, money disppears faster than it arrives. In an ideal world, this money should be used (as it was a windfall), but I fear the temptation to plug the growing deficit is too much, we are not in an ideal situation.

Believe me, I want this money put into the team. I can only think of 4 or 5 (at a push) occasions I came away from Withdean with a glow (out of 25 games).

"I just find it incredibly naughty that the club have only used a portion of the £250k prize, and basically pocketed the rest, and when you throw in the transfer fee we received plus the sell-on they have actually made a significant profit. In my opinion that is not, and never has been, right."

It is not right, but it may be the best for the club in the long run?

Indeed, this is all speculation! We can't do much else!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ok so we both want the money put into the team, but it may be best for the club if it's not (although that is debatable, as if we signed a player or two that brought some success, the club would still be quids in thanks to bigger crowds).

The question is do the club even have the right to make this choice? IMO the money was won solely for team strengthening, so why does the board feel it can take it away and use in other areas one year later? That's just plain WRONG.

I guess legally the funds are theirs, but morally they belong to the fans/Jam The Man.

I agree that we need something to get the fans back in the swarms and I don't think Gully's Girls are the answer. Gully's 'naked poll dancers' Ladies, perhaps.

I have lost track, but how much do we have from the latest windfall. Is it around the £8k mark? :drool:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think anyone has actually posted how much the fee is to Sheffield United for sure yet, so god knows what our cut is. I'm off to Turkey on Saturday, so with a bit of luck our Colin will be on the same flight and I can get the details for myself!!

Anyway, you mention Gully's Girls. If ever a thread had found a moment for pictures, this is it.......

I am sure he will be delighted to meet a Brighton fan. :lol:

Pictures are a must - perhaps Bag can sort us out with some cheerleaders. :love: We were promised some behind the scenes photos of an American visit, but alas they never materialised. :down:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Missed all of this last week :(

I don't know if anyone has noticed the fact that Tuncay Şanlı went to Middlesbro from Fener on Wednesday and then on Friday Fener nicked CKR off Beşiktaş who thought they had a done deal. As Tuncay is much the same player as CKR (but a thousand times better!!!!) seems that CKR is going straight into the first team.

TBH much as I think CKR has poetntial he is NOT Tuncay and I think he's going to have a tough time there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here