Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Karl Robinson - Thoughts?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Are you his agent?

With all of the hassle and none of the money it seems! I just find it odd sometimes that unless you have won a trophy, you are regarded as a failure as a manager who should therefore be steered well clear of. Football would be a glass ceiling if every club chairman adopted that approach. David Moyes, for example, would not have got the Manchester United job on that basis.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When you say infrastructure, are you just basically saying Brentford and Peterborough have less money/resources than MK Dons and so it is not unreasonable to expect them to finish anove them? It's a fair argument, but I just think there's more to it than how much money they have. Peterborough have been promoted to the Championship twice and have built a good reputation for bringing in players from non-league and improving them before selling them on, added to which they have the confidence/belief that comes from having got promoted from the division before. Brentford narrowly missed out last season, have brought through players from their own system and also have good links with other London clubs to bring in some of their promising youngsters on loan. That's why I would be including them both among next season's front-runners.
Oh I understand why you've included them, BUT what you're failing to recognise is that Peterborough *earned* their position as front runner by managing to do exactly what Karl Robinson seemingly can't. And Uwe Rosler only recently walked into Brentford and nearly managed what Robinson has come nowhere near achieving in 3 years, despite a tiny ground and gates of 5-6,000.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No thanks.

First things first we are looking for a Spanish speaking manager above anything else, to keep hold of the majority of our best players and lure more in. We also want someone who will keep on with Gus's style. Really hoping the Oscar rumours are true, sounds like it would be the closest we can get to a like for like replacement for Gus.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With all of the hassle and none of the money it seems! I just find it odd sometimes that unless you have won a trophy, you are regarded as a failure as a manager who should therefore be steered well clear of. Football would be a glass ceiling if every club chairman adopted that approach. David Moyes, for example, would not have got the Manchester United job on that basis.

He's not a failure, he's just an unproven manager at League One level. Surely we're looking for more than stability in League One?!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
That is an interesting list of clubs you want to measure Robinson's success against.

Peterborough & Brentford: neither have the infrastructure Karl Robinson has at his disposal, yet one was promoted two seasons ago (while MK weren't) and the other nearly managed it this season (which MK didn't).

Of the seven clubs you mention, he should easily be looking to finish above at least four of them. But he won't, because he's a bang average manager.

I still have a hearty chuckle when he pronounced loudly to anyone that would listen that his team was BETTER than the Albion were the season before, in that season where Gus won us the title at a canter, despite playing at running track. Naturally, MK turned out to be average then too.

Thanks for that as I had mistakenly put that particular comment down to one of his players - cant remember who, but which followed our away fixture at MK. that season.

Accordingly I am even less impressed with KR because, as others have said, his record is KR !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's not a failure, he's just an unproven manager at League One level. Surely we're looking for more than stability in League One?!
Or he's not a failure, he's just a very ordinary league one manager, which his track record seems to suggest.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

Hence why quite some time ago in this thread, I did also say I didn't think he would be the right choice of heir apparent to Poyet. And he won't be either.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I want to make this very clear: I DO NOT WANT AN ENGLISH MANAGER.

Especially one who's entire rep is built on bimbling along in League One with virtually no hint of progress.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It's a sign of the times when people are saying they don't want an English manager. A sign of how much Brighton have progressed as a club in the past few years, on the plus side. A sign of how bad things are in terms of English coaching and its shortcomings have been exposed, on the flip side.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
33-1 tells its own story.

(What's a bin-dipper by the way?)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I take that as a no then!!!!!!

yep and to be fair he was a bit of a non-starter
although I will say maybe with a older more mature man slipped in over him
might do the trick

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
He ticks zero boxes in total.

No championship experience,
Achieved nothing at MK Dons, despite having spent big for that division.
Would not inspire players to sign for us,
Would not raise the profile of club in any way shape or form.

Nail, Head etc

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Presumably 'having a stadium' may also have eaten a little into their budget to buy players. But, unless they are offering significantly more wages than other teams in that division, I don't really see them as a draw card for players at that level because they are much less established. So just having a budget alone counts for little if you don't attract the players.

Like highly paid former England, Leeds, Newcastle and Man United striker, Alan Smith, you mean?

Do you think Alan Smith would have signed for Brentford, Yeovil or Swindon?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Like highly paid former England, Leeds, Newcastle and Man United striker, Alan Smith, you mean?

The highly paid (but presumably only when he plays) but injury crocked Alan Smith, yes. In his case, I expect he would have gone elsewhere but other clubs wouldn't have taken him on because of his injury record, hence he ended up there.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The highly paid (but presumably only when he plays) but injury crocked Alan Smith, yes. In his case, I expect he would have gone elsewhere but other clubs wouldn't have taken him on because of his injury record, hence he ended up there.

But he could also have sat in the reserves at whichever club he was at most recently. The fact is, MK have the money and the ambition to tempt him there. They were probably paying all of Ryan Harley's wages too while he was there. I know he's been largely crap for us, but he came, on paper at least, from the Premier League, with fairly reasonable wages, so to happily go to Milton Keynes suggests he considers them to be an upwardly mobile club.

I just find Robinson really whiney. When they lose, it's never, ever his fault. There is always a referee to blame. He wants to look at himself a bit more. MK are desperate to get up to the Championship and prove that they're a real, proper club, and they spend a decent amount of money to do it. They might play nice football but they've never had any cutting edge. Who is responsible for the tactics? Robinson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here