Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Justice

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Watching the news 24 channel. Loving the court actions, spot on.

All these twats, especially 2 who asked to be let out so they can carry on with their exams, judge said tough stay in remand.

Hope they give them long sentences. My daughter has lost her job, she worked at the Woolwich Weatherspoons and the bastards felt fit to petrol burn that.

Shoot the lot, thats what I say

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But on the other side of the scale, the magistrates and circuit judges have their hands tied behind their backs. They have a maximum penalty, 8 months I believe, so all these scrotes plead guilty rather than go to crown court and get 5 years and a Nottingham circuit judge said today to the wider audience not the thugs (is on the BBC website)... if you don't like what I'm dealing out go speak to the Government... he'd just fined someone £80, his powers were limited by the CJS.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Very sad news that Richard Mannington Bowes, the man trying to put out a fire and was set upon, has died. A hero amongst many villains.

Just resolves my anger that people die like this yet others try to defend the perpetrators.

Right! Shut up me! Enough said.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
But on the other side of the scale, the magistrates and circuit judges have their hands tied behind their backs. They have a maximum penalty, 8 months I believe, so all these scrotes plead guilty rather than go to crown court and get 5 years and a Nottingham circuit judge said today to the wider audience not the thugs (is on the BBC website)... if you don't like what I'm dealing out go speak to the Government... he'd just fined someone £80, his powers were limited by the CJS.

I heard on Sky that magistrates can give a maximum 6 months' jail sentence. For those whose crimes warrant a longer sentence, and it appears to be many of them, they are being remanded to face the Crown Court.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Hopefully the only benefit to come out of all this will be a review of the pathetic penalties dished out by courts. Punishment should fit the crime.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I heard on Sky that magistrates can give a maximum 6 months' jail sentence. For those whose crimes warrant a longer sentence, and it appears to be many of them, they are being remanded to face the Crown Court.

I have a mate on the Eltham magistrates, not the most pleasant of places in the last few days, and I worked for the MoJ, but I was a mere web developer so never really found out the ins and outs of what was and wasn't their limits. I think they can send someone to Crown Court when they plead guilty to something that the Magistrates cannot give them a long enough sentence for and if someone pleads not guilty they automatically get referred to Crown Court.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have a mate on the Eltham magistrates, not the most pleasant of places in the last few days, and I worked for the MoJ, but I was a mere web developer so never really found out the ins and outs of what was and wasn't their limits. I think they can send someone to Crown Court when they plead guilty to something that the Magistrates cannot give them a long enough sentence for and if someone pleads not guilty they automatically get referred to Crown Court.

It depends on the offence, there are summary only charges which are dealt entirely in the Magistrates courts, either way offences which can be dealt with in either court (when defendants elect, for example) and indictable only which have one hearing in the Magistrates and then sent to Crown court whether guilty or not guilty.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Just been reading various articles on The Guardian web site (my normal preferred source of info).....slightly worried about the tone of reporting in relation to the court cases. I sense a "civil liberties" type approach, slightly critical of the speed of the court system, and some of the sentences being handed down. I really hope the Guardian doesn't get all soft on this. There may be a few injustices in all this, but I cannot think of any excuse for getting involved in rioting, and hopefully some relatively punitive sentencing will send the right messages.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So what are the sentences begin handed out? 6 months seems like f*** all after all the damage done. and 80 pounds is a nonsense. They should be given 6 months cleaning the mess up 10 hours a day. Maybe they will even get to speak to some people whose lives they have ruined.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The Turkish community had the right idea....group together, protect your businesses and drive the arseholes away.
They had them fleeing in terror. Thats centuries and centuries of being a proud fighting nation.
Deep down, we are the same but our ' have a go spirit ' is being suppressed.
' Oh you can't do this, you can't do that....you must leave it to the police ' etc.
When individuals stick two fingers up to society...and rampage, loot, burn and kill....then as far as I'm concerned anything goes. No member of the public should be punished for defending themselves and their property with as much force as necessary.
Crime has to be tackled from the bottom up, not the top down. Every so called ' minor offence '...e.g graffiti, shoplifting, fly-tipping etc should be dealt with in the strongest possible terms. Never mind this bollocks about the prisons being full....build more...build massive detention centres in the middle of nowhere...so the scrotes can't be visited by their chavvy relatives.
My heart goes out to the family of the gentleman who died having a go...and my respect goes to him.
I'd like to think I would have done the same.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Watching the news 24 channel. Loving the court actions, spot on.

All these twats, especially 2 who asked to be let out so they can carry on with their exams, judge said tough stay in remand.

Hope they give them long sentences. My daughter has lost her job, she worked at the Woolwich Weatherspoons and the bastards felt fit to petrol burn that.

Shoot the lot, thats what I say

Sorry to hear that. I live in Woolwich a know the Great Harry well. It was genuinely upsetting seeing what they'd done to it Tuesday morning.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
What has happend over the last week has hopefully changed the way this government deals with this scum in the future. For so many years people have been unable or are too scared to fight back and the whole of society in this country has been going on a downward spiral.

As much as I hate DC and this government, it might have actually hit home how bad it really is. In these situations we need a tough leader and we need a tough system that punishes people properly. Its been going on for far too long where we reward people for doing the wrong things in society. We should be rewarding people in society who do the right things.

I just hope this continues as regards sending out this message.

My wife is a teacher and feels she has absolutely no back up from senior teachers or the government as regards discipline in her school. The type of parents she deals with, are exactly the type this government are talking about. They don't care for their kids. They only care when accusations are made against teachers, and the front gate soon fills up with hundreds of parents.

But these parents are the ones that never turn up to the kids open evening and are usually the parents of the kids that are doing very badly. And my wife is the one that has to try and pick up the pieces and get these kids through the system with some sort of examination and try to get them on the right path.

On one occasion one parent actually broke his way in to the school and beat a teacher.

And Piltdown Man I am sorry to hear about your daughter losing her job. She has been doing the right thing and should be rewarded and as per usual she is the one that has suffered.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
This policy of council/housing association tenants possibly being evicted if found guilty of rioting/looting. All well and good of course, but if on benefits the council will have a legal duty of rehousing them in the private sector at vastly more expense to the tax payer!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just resolves my anger that people die like this yet others try to defend the perpetrators.

I haven't seen anyone on this site or any other forum try to defend the perpetrators - who are these mysterious "others"?

Crime has to be tackled from the bottom up, not the top down. Every so called ' minor offence '...e.g graffiti, shoplifting, fly-tipping etc should be dealt with in the strongest possible terms.

The trouble with the zero tolerance approach is that when people say "every minor offence should be dealt with in the strongest possible terms" what they mean is "some minor offences". People will rattle their papers and talk about stiffer penalties but would start fuming if speeding offences were met by prison sentences or parking on double-yellow lines warranted a £1000 fines. There have been countless threads on NSC about speed cameras and parking with people looking to avoid penalties, so there'll be no support for zero tolerance there.

MPs have been queuing up to decry the rioters but these same MPs are fighting hard to resist changes to their expenses rules. There are several MPs in the Commons (and in the government itself) who are calling for stiffer penalties for looters, yet would have been arrested if they'd practised their expenses-fiddling within the confines of a private company.

That's the trouble with zero tolerance, it's zero tolerance for other people's offences but plenty of tolerance for mine.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
This policy of council/housing association tenants possibly being evicted if found guilty of rioting/looting. All well and good of course, but if on benefits the council will have a legal duty of rehousing them in the private sector at vastly more expense to the tax payer!!

Laws can be changed.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I haven't seen anyone on this site or any other forum try to defend the perpetrators - who are these mysterious "others"?

The trouble with the zero tolerance approach is that when people say "every minor offence should be dealt with in the strongest possible terms" what they mean is "some minor offences". People will rattle their papers and talk about stiffer penalties but would start fuming if speeding offences were met by prison sentences or parking on double-yellow lines warranted a £1000 fines. There have been countless threads on NSC about speed cameras and parking with people looking to avoid penalties, so there'll be no support for zero tolerance there.

MPs have been queuing up to decry the rioters but these same MPs are fighting hard to resist changes to their expenses rules. There are several MPs in the Commons (and in the government itself) who are calling for stiffer penalties for looters, yet would have been arrested if they'd practised their expenses-fiddling within the confines of a private company.

That's the trouble with zero tolerance, it's zero tolerance for other people's offences but plenty of tolerance for mine.

There's a lot of truth in there

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

How can you seriously compare what those bastards did over a 4 day period to speeding and parking offences?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here