Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just when you think the courts couldn't get more stupid.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im not sure which is more stupid: the abuse of the human rights act or the custodial sentance for first offence of stealing a chocolate bar and scraping a car.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Lets face it, the authorities are looking for any reason to release convicted prisoners and the courts have been told not to impose prison sentences. Its all a con to sound tough but do very little. Even when somebody is sent to prison they will only serve half the sentence and the most common thing that you hear in the press is that somebody has been given a custodial sentence and the next thing you read is that it is suspended which means they haven't been imprisoned after all!

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
BBC News - Jailed burglar Wayne Bishop freed to care for children

Burglar who claimed jail sentence infringed his children's human rights is freed | Mail Online

ffs.....maybe he should have thought about who was looking after his kids when he was out stealing.

This country is f***ing insane !!!!

Should we encourage seperating children from their parents then? It's proven that children whose parents are sent to prison are more likely to display criminal behaviour themselves. He has 5 children. Definitely a punishment in the community is more suffice, imo.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
This was not the bloke's first offence, he's a well known pain in the backside. What gets me is that his precious children will now think nothing of following in his footsteps, it's a nailed on cert that they'll be apprentice criminals if they aren't already. It's all very well to go on about their welfare but given the role model they have it's a ludicrous decision. Frankly the Judges who allowed this appeal should be quietly pensioned off. I wonder if these judges bothered to consider the effect theses trainee delinquents will have on their future victims ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
How is that comparable to a chocolate thief?

You should get a job with a red top, talk about out of context. He did a burglary but all he found to seal was some chocolate (shows how thick he is to burgle a place with nothing of value) and then he doesn't so much scratch a car but hit it while driving dangerously.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
You should get a job with a red top, talk about out of context. He did a burglary but all he found to seal was some chocolate (shows how thick he is to burgle a place with nothing of value) and then he doesn't so much scratch a car but hit it while driving dangerously.

fine, but is the offence 'so serious' that he must go to prison? I don't think so. He should be sent to Mansfield rugby club to repair all damage and provide free labour for anything else that needs doing there. Prison is a damaging place (for offenders, family and 'future victims') and should be used only for violent bruts, rapists, murderers. Every body loses in this guy going to prison, most of all his kids, nobody wins. Why punish the children? They will be affected most in losing their sole caregiver.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
fine, but is the offence 'so serious' that he must go to prison? I don't think so. He should be sent to Mansfield rugby club to repair all damage and provide free labour for anything else that needs doing there. Prison is a damaging place (for offenders, family and 'future victims') and should be used only for violent bruts, rapists, murderers. Every body loses in this guy going to prison, most of all his kids, nobody wins. Why punish the children? They will be affected most in losing their sole caregiver.

Read the thread, THIS IS NOT HIS FIRST OFFENCE. Prison is there to punish people who break the law. As the saying goes, "If you can do the time, don't do the crime". The children have a wonderful role model, a crook who openly brags about getting away with it. Maybe when you get burgled you might see why this bloke doesn't deserve sympathy.

F.Y.I. You don't get sent to prison for a first burglary, it's not a hobby to this individual.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I take it you've never been burgled then?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

The state, who is imprisoning him, is not punishing the children. He is.

Thats why the Human Rights Act is so crap, it turns things on its head.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Tougher and firmer sentences, you do the crime..you pay the time

Was talking about the Human Rights Act, not sentencing. Tougher, more punitive sentencing only serves to have an even bigger negative effect. Look at what happens in Norway, you treat offenders in a dignified way and really help them = 20% reconviction rate; here we don't even try to rehabilitate and treat them like 2nd class citizens = 70% reconviction rate. Which one is better??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here