Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just what is the point of getting rid of Mcghee now?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am at a loss as to what people think it will achieve.

We have to look to try and keep managers at this club. We have had Adams, taylor, Hinch, Coppell, McGhee in the last few years...we need stability, not chopping and changing.

i am not a great McGhee fan as you all know, but i am resigned to our fate, and think there is no point sacking him fpr the sake of it.

If we start off next year by playing dreadfully and by November no better off than now, then maybe there is an excuse, but not now.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
New manager, temporary boost of confidence, 12 points gained over the remainder of the season and Championship football next season.

Clear out in the summer and mid table safety next year.

Simple isn't it - I can't see your argument??!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
that is assuming that is going to happen....we could just as easily end up with a hinshelwood and win nothing.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
TrevorDove said:
New manager, temporary boost of confidence, 12 points gained over the remainder of the season and Championship football next season.

:nono:

Clear out of who, exactly, in the summer? All our promising youngsters? Where will that leave us other than in more of a mess than we are in now?

I believe Dies Irae is correct in his assessment.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Shall we toss a coin?!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dies Irae said:
I am at a loss as to what people think it will achieve.

We have to look to try and keep managers at this club. We have had Adams, taylor, Hinch, Coppell, McGhee in the last few years...we need stability, not chopping and changing.

i am not a great McGhee fan as you all know, but i am resigned to our fate, and think there is no point sacking him fpr the sake of it.

If we start off next year by playing dreadfully and by November no better off than now, then maybe there is an excuse, but not now.

I would agree it is too late now if he was to go it should have been after the cup defeat at home to Coventry. Keep him now with the proviso that if we are not in the top 3 on Dec 1st he is out of a job.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
None

Lets accept the relegation as the players and manager have and just and get some crumb of enjoyment in the last 5 home games.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
TrevorDove said:

Yes, cos that's exactly what happened last season with Rotherham, Nottingham Forest and Gillingham when they sacked their managers last season isn't it?

:jester:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Dies Irae said:
that is assuming that is going to happen....we could just as easily end up with a hinshelwood and win nothing.
But if we stick with McGhee we're going down anyway.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
jonny.rainbow said:
Yes, cos that's exactly what happened last season with Rotherham, Nottingham Forest and Gillingham when they sacked their managers last season isn't it?

:jester:
Rotherham and Forest were already pretty much down, Gillingham were along way adrift but in the end almost stayed up.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
If he was playing the strongest side each week.
If he was not pissing off our best players each week.
If he knew what his strongest side was.
If he knew what our best combination up front was.
If he played players to their strengths.
If he had a plan B when things obviously weren't working.
If he hadn't SPUNKED money up the wall on Turenzo, Dodd, Molango etc.

And we were still in the mire then he would have my support.

However, he is simply not getting the best from the players and budget he has to work with. He has failed miserably to find any sort of decent loan signings to help out with our lack of fire power and midfield.

Get rid now so that the new manager has time to gel a decent side BEFORE preseason so that we can bounce back. I fear that we will wait until we are in deep shit in league 1 before we act.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Lammy said:

However, he is simply not getting the best from the players and budget he has to work with. He has failed miserably to find any sort of decent loan signings to help out with our lack of fire power and midfield.

Get rid now so that the new manager has time to gel a decent side BEFORE preseason so that we can bounce back. I fear that we will wait until we are in deep shit in league 1 before we act.

I'm not up for most of these 'McGhee Out' rants BUT that makes alot of sense.

My worry now is- if we don't get rid of him soon, go down, and start next season badly, will we still be hearing the same old excuses against his removal?!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
the right footed denilson said:
I'm not up for most of these 'McGhee Out' rants BUT that makes alot of sense.

My worry now is- if we don't get rid of him soon, go down, and start next season badly, will we still be hearing the same old excuses against his removal?!

I am not sure that is true. At this level it is difficult to attract players and our finances are stretched. In League One it should be easier and we will be competing on a level playing field. If we go down I will back McGhee and give him a couple of months but if we are struggling after 20 games then it will be time to consider his position.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not go with this theory that we cannot attract players because of Withdean.

My son is working in Gretna this week and has just phoned me and told me that Gretna's ground is piss poor compared to Withdean so to any player playing there it would be like going to Highbury to come to Withdean. He did say it is in the local papers that the Chairman of Gretna has offered Kenny Deuchar an Aston Martin if he scores in the semi final and any car he wishes if he scores in the final.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
It's probably too late now, although there are enough examples of new managers giving their sides fresh impetus to make it an option. More realistically, though, and ideal for us, would be an exit by "mutual agreement" in the summer.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Lammy said:

:clap: :bowdown: :clap: :bowdown: :clap: :bowdown: :clap:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Perhaps it might have something to do with the fact that Gretna have the highest wage bill outside the SPL?

If we paid well we'd attract decent players, we don't therefore, they'll take things like working facilities into account if they are able to choose.

I'd certainly turn down a job if I didn't think the workplace was up to my standards.

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
Lammy said:

Can't argue with this..

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Lammy said:

Add to that seeing three left-backs leave and failing to replace them, and that's about as good a summary of the clown's ineptitude as I've seen.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Repugnant Toad said:
It's probably too late now, although there are enough examples of new managers giving their sides fresh impetus to make it an option. More realistically, though, and ideal for us, would be an exit by "mutual agreement" in the summer.

Generally speaking it has been the assistant manager (Leics and Millwall) but I cannot see BB doing that.
I agree, he might as well see the season out now and I'm still not giving up hope yet of getting out of this mess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here