Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
JSO's problem is that their campaign has got the back up of the very people they need to win support from. Only the craziest loons deny the science behind climate change and the threats are very real. JSO needed to win support but their campaign lacks imagination. Throwing paint over a masterpiece (whether it's behind glass or not) or spraying a 10k year old monument has nothing to do with reducing and/or stopping the use of oil.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
JSO's problem is that their campaign has got the back up of the very people they need to win support from. Only the craziest loons deny the science behind climate change and the threats are very real. JSO needed to win support but their campaign lacks imagination. Throwing paint over a masterpiece (whether it's behind glass or not) or spraying a 10k year old monument has nothing to do with reducing and/or stopping the use of oil.

The counter argument is that they made the news and we chat about it now. But the talk is about their methods, not ameliorating climate change.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nelson Mandela was a literal terrorist though. He was involved in orchestrating a car bombing which killed 19 people, and other serious violent offences. He became a reformed criminal once he’d served his time.
Thank you. I’m bouncing your post because I believe the poster to whom you were responding was using Mandela as an example of an “innocent” convicted criminal, likening him to the subject of this thread.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Poor picture (the light was not good) but first babies spotted this year...
P1010514.jpg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think they are almost irrelevant now and will be all but extinct and forgotten soon.

Their failed publicity strategy was a symptom of a country where the government and media agenda was dominated by the right wing. Climate change denial was suddenly a real thing because ignorant ‘opinion’ trumped ‘scientific fact’ under the last administration. That’s just not the case anymore.

We have a minister of ‘Net Zero’. JSO have won despite their actions seemingly achieving the opposite. Any climate change denier reading about Ed Milliband’s views on energy and the environment should rightfully be on their knees in despair.

The change will be graduated and subtle but the future for the UK is now undoubtly green.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think they are almost irrelevant now and will be all but extinct and forgotten soon.

Their failed publicity strategy was a symptom of a country where the government and media agenda was dominated by the right wing. Climate change denial was suddenly a real thing because ignorant ‘opinion’ trumped ‘scientific fact’ under the last administration. That’s just not the case anymore.

We have a minister of ‘Net Zero’. JSO have won despite their actions seemingly achieving the opposite. Any climate change denier reading about Ed Milliband’s views on energy and the environment should rightfully be on their knees in despair.

The change will be graduated and subtle but the future for the UK is now undoubtly green.
That's a big assumption that a minister for Net Zero is the result of JSO rather than all the scientific evidence that has been produced over the last couple of decades. The only reason we didn't have one under the previous administration is that Net Zero doesn't make money!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That's a big assumption that a minister for Net Zero is the result of JSO rather than all the scientific evidence that has been produced over the last couple of decades. The only reason we didn't have one under the previous administration is that Net Zero doesn't make money!
Sorry. I’m not sure my post was clear. I don’t think JSO have had any influence whatsoever in there being a minister for Net Zero, in fact, they have had the opposite effect and had they not helped the Tories and right wing media make climate change a political hot potato, the current government would surely be going a lot quicker and harder on Net Zero.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We talk about it but not in a positive, supportive fashion. Winning hearts and minds will lead to change, not pissing everyone off.
Tell that to York City fans and the Football League in 1996, not to mention the 'criminal' damage done that day.
:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tell that to York City fans and the Football League in 1996, not to mention the 'criminal' damage done that day.
:wink:
I'm not convinced that the pitch invasion (I was there) and 'criminal damage' were necessary for the Albion being allowed to groundshare at Gillingham. What were the other benefits?

I seem to recall we were given permission to build the Amex because of a decade of relentless campaigning by committed people acting in a measured way. Did I dream all that?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not convinced that the pitch invasion (I was there) and 'criminal damage' were necessary for the Albion being allowed to groundshare at Gillingham. What were the other benefits?

I seem to recall we were given permission to build the Amex because of a decade of relentless campaigning by committed people acting in a measured way. Did I dream all that?
Some of it. I can remember police removing banners from bridges, and one unfortunate person sent to prison. Some things were measured, some were thought to be criminal.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some of it. I can remember police removing banners from bridges, and one unfortunate person sent to prison. Some things were measure, some were thought to be criminal.
Indeed.

The difference between the movement to save the Albion and the movement to Just Stop Oil is that our cause was largely irrelevant and ignored by the nation at large, but those involved did not antagonize the public, so the campaign was largely seen as noble by those who were aware of it. And the narrative was clear.

In the case of JSO, the behaviour of those involved is not measured or thoughtful and it does antagonize the public. And the goal itself, to Just Stop Oil seems vapid. What does it even mean? An immediate shift to the horse and cart?

And the people involved are obnoxious and boorish. I was berated by a mad granny at the A2/A259 junction when I was on the way to the Albion last season. She accused me of wanting to destroy the planet by driving to the football. Just what I wanted to hear, stressed, having left London early to get home in time to drive 80 miles to watch my team. A lesser man may have slipped the car into reverse and squished her. :ohmy:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Indeed.

The difference between the movement to save the Albion and the movement to Just Stop Oil is that our cause was largely irrelevant and ignored by the nation at large, but those involved did not antagonize the public, so the campaign was largely seen as noble by those who were aware of it. And the narrative was clear.

In the case of JSO, the behaviour of those involved is not measured or thoughtful and it does antagonize the public. And the goal itself, to Just Stop Oil seems vapid. What does it even mean? An immediate shift to the horse and cart?

And the people involved are obnoxious and boorish. I was berated by a mad granny at the A2/A259 junction when I was on the way to the Albion last season. She accused me of wanting to destroy the planet by driving to the football. Just what I wanted to hear, stressed, having left London early to get home in time to drive 80 miles to watch my team. A lesser man may have slipped the car into reverse and squished her. :ohmy:
And I'm surew you'd have aceepted the 6 month (suspended) sentence you'd have got for that.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nelson Mandela was a literal terrorist though. He was involved in orchestrating a car bombing which killed 19 people, and other serious violent offences. He became a reformed criminal once he’d served his time.
Not correct. He was never charged, put on trial nor convicted for car bombings. Only acts of sabotage. Feel free to provide the evidence of this car bombing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But did support not grow over time?

We’ve not seen any noticable growth of support of any envrionmental pressure groups.

It has been going on now since 2018.

Clearly support for the environment lobby has grown hugely over recent years.

It's JSO and Instinction Rebellion that have failed to win over the public.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here