Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Whilst the sentences are quite severe, I can see the justification; The judge said there were 55000 "people hours" lost due to the delays. At minimum wage that's a cost to people and businesses of over £600000. If they had conspired to commit over half a million pounds of criminal damage, then a four/five year sentence would be entirely appropriate.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sadly, it was their strategy that was wrong.

Instead of trying to garner support. They went with news volume and publicity under the old ‘any news is good news’ doctrine.

This was actually incredibly successful in itself. Just look at the length of this thread! They got thousands and thousands of column inches and headlines.

However, they hadn’t counted on how unpopular the British public (mostly through the lens of the right wing media) would find their actions. Many people are happy they serve longer sentences than violent offenders now. In a country capable of voting for things like Brexit and Johnson as PM, you have to be very careful with your publicity planning. It backfired spectacularly.

In terms of the objective of garnering support, I don’t think that ever crossed their minds.
The fact that it was unpopular with the British public didn't need any help from the right wing media. And TBH, Brexit and Johnson are pretty irrelevant to the argument too, but it's always good to have a crack at them anyway, I guess!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whilst the sentences are quite severe, I can see the justification; The judge said there were 55000 "people hours" lost due to the delays. At minimum wage that's a cost to people and businesses of over £600000. If they had conspired to commit over half a million pounds of criminal damage, then a four/five year sentence would be entirely appropriate.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove

Julian Jessop, "IEA Economics Fellow" according to his twitter account. I can't claim to know everything about the IEA but have heard them criticised numerous times for not revealing who funds them or being open/transparent. Wikipedia says the IEA "published climate change denial material between 1994 and 2007", and "received more than £70,000 from the tobacco industry (although it does not reveal its funders)". It was also founded by "battery farming pioneer Antony Fisher" just to make it even more revolting.

It's obvious the fossil fuel companies have their tentacles all over the media and politicians worldwide and have done for decades. Why are people so eager to believe their crap?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
She sounds a bit unhinged. Believing that everyone else is wrong and she is right, I don't have a problem with that. Taking action to ensure that everyone else has to do what she wants, that's going past the bounds of normality.
How did working men get the vote?
How did women get the vote?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
How did working men get the vote?
How did women get the vote?
Women got it mostly by a peaceful and respectful campaign by the suffragists as the UK fell into line (before some, behind others) with the worldwide movement for votes for women. Obviously there was a fringe group that went for violence and for more peaceful disruption, but I doubt they were the ones who made the difference. It was coming anyway.

I don't know about the men. It's only recently that I learned that the universal male franchise was achieved at the same time as the first women's franchise. How did they get it? I'd be happy to learn.

(Remember these people aren't campaigning for greener policies and cutting emissions, incidentally. They are campaigning for an entire change of our way of life.)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's obvious the fossil fuel companies have their tentacles all over the media and politicians worldwide and have done for decades. Why are people so eager to believe their crap?
Because they say things certain people want to hear with a veneer of pretend respectability to make them feel better about it.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
So was Nelson Mandela.
Nelson Mandela was a literal terrorist though. He was involved in orchestrating a car bombing which killed 19 people, and other serious violent offences. He became a reformed criminal once he’d served his time.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
IMG_1479.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I was sent an invitation to become a FRSA 20 years ago. I told them to do one. This is not a prestigious fellowship, like FRS. This a money making load of old bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here