Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Has anyone screaming for a policeman actually driven on the M25? 'Driven' being the operative word, as opposed to sitting in traffic. You've got to marvel at these idiots in convertibles on the M25, the state of their lungs must be quite something.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mass car ownership isn’t to go away I’m afraid. There is no widespread replacement (car share and improved public transportation may work for some).

Plastics, happy to see replacements. But in the world of medicine and medical treatment, not sure that is completely possible.
Things can change though. I remember similar arguments about reusable coffee cups and plastic bags.

Car share is very popular here and it what we use. Always a nice new shiny car no more than a block away and no problem parking at the other end. Ubers and cabs for other journeys. This won’t work everywhere but in cities, where car use is most chronic, it certainly does.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Give it a few years, if the planet lasts this long, and apologies will be issued and their records expunged from the database.

It’s a miscarriage of Justice.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Give it a few years, if the planet lasts this long, and apologies will be issued and their records expunged from the database.

In fairness, not even the most ardent and committed climate change activists are suggesting a cataclysmic species ending scenario within “a few years”. It won’t be an overnight event, like a meteor hitting earth. Scientists mostly agree - with occasional outliers - that climate change is a progressive phenomenon which will be borne out through incremental change.

But not in a few years; things would get progressively worse over decades, not months.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
In fairness, not even the most ardent and committed climate change activists are suggesting a cataclysmic species ending scenario within “a few years”. It won’t be an overnight event, like a meteor hitting earth. Scientists mostly agree - with occasional outliers - that climate change is a progressive phenomenon which will be borne out through incremental change.

But not in a few years; things would get progressively worse over decades, not months.
But the cataclysmic scenarios aren't the issue. Several agricultural countries are set up with certain climates. Just a change of 5 degrees could stop farming of particular crops, taking away food but more importantly income. These countries are poor as it is and millions could die from farming methods having to change.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Even though the sentences are excessive, I suspect the group are fairly happy with the outcome as it makes them Martyrs for the cause. They would have known at some point a few of them would be made an example of, and to this end they were willing to take the risk for the cause which gets them more publicity. Basically they have taken one for the team.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The sad reality is these people were vindicated in full.

You have to ask yourself what is in it for the protestors?

I feel pretty strongly about climate change but there is no way I would be prepared to make the personal sacrifice they have made. I wouldn’t fancy spending a couple of years in the scrubs with some pretty unpleasant individuals.

They are paying a heavy price for making a stand for the younger generation who will take the hit for previous generations inaction.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What would be very funny would be for the Government to instantly let them out of prison within days due to the lack of prison spaces left by the Tories, that’ll confuse a few tabloids

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I feel pretty strongly about climate change but there is no way I would be prepared to make the personal sacrifice they have made. I wouldn’t fancy spending a couple of years in the scrubs with some pretty unpleasant individuals.

They are paying a heavy price for making a stand for their kids and grand kids.
In addition, their views on climate change are not extremist, they are backed up by mainstream science.

Also, their protest methods are not extremist. Blowing yourself up on a tube train is extremism.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What would be very funny would be for the Government to instantly let them out of prison within days due to the lack of prison spaces left by the Tories, that’ll confuse a few tabloids
A reminder what you need to do to get 5 years...

JSO engaged in disruptive but its non-violent protest

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

They are paying a heavy price for making a stand for the younger generation who will take the hit for previous generations inaction.
Good post

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
What a messed up world we live in.

Let's release violent criminals early because of space and cost but put these people in jail to replace them. 🤦

I know which of the two groups I would like to be in jail.

"The change will be effected by cutting the automatic release point for most standard sentences from 50% to 40%, although serious violent offenders, as well as those jailed for sex offences, terrorism and crimes associated with domestic abuse, will be excluded from the scheme".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A reminder what you need to do to get 5 years...

This disruptive but its non-violent protest
I'll give you another example to show how extreme these sentences are.

A friend of Mrs WS's had her partner sexually assaulted her daughter. Highlevel - the daughter woke up to finding him fingering her while pleasuring himself. Daughter is now an emotional wreck all the time. He was only sentenced to six years. That shows how harsh five years is for only discussing getting a disruptive protest really is. The justice system supports peodos but supresses protest.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Exactly, release loads of violent offenders early to replace them with non violent offenders on 5 year sentences!

Have people not read that violent offenders aren't included in the changes to early release?

"The change will be effected by cutting the automatic release point for most standard sentences from 50% to 40%, although serious violent offenders, as well as those jailed for sex offences, terrorism and crimes associated with domestic abuse, will be excluded from the scheme".

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Things can change though. I remember similar arguments about reusable coffee cups and plastic bags.

Car share is very popular here and it what we use. Always a nice new shiny car no more than a block away and no problem parking at the other end. Ubers and cabs for other journeys. This won’t work everywhere but in cities, where car use is most chronic, it certainly does.

The use of plastic bags and disposable cups is not a similar argument though.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
It will be interesting to see how these sentences compare with those eventually given to the rioters in Leeds. How many years for setting a bus on fire in a residential street?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here