Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely shocking that a treasured monument should have powder paint sprayed over it.

I also find it shocking that 467 species have been declared extinct in the past decade and biodiversity is declining at an alarming rate due to anthropological causes to CC.

I find it shocking that the World’s most developed economies signed an agreement in 1997 acknowledging the human contribution to the rate of CC yet we are no closer 27 years later to limiting warming rises to 1.5 degrees. I find it shocking that the World came together in 1997 (and have signed subsequent protocols since) to limit and reduce greenhouse gasses in accordance with individual targets - yet here we are 27 years later - already facing the consequences of CC with CO2 emissions still heating the Earth at an alarming rate.

What is more shocking to me than orange powder paint is that even in the face of predicted staggering sea level rise, extreme droughts, floods and widespread species loss, Governments in the West are dragging their feet and even in some cases, dumping their previously agreed targets to reduce carbon emissions and renewing a commitment to fossil fuels.

I find it absolutely shocking to see a much loved prehistoric monument daubed in powder paint.

But…It will wash off in the next rainfall.

It is heartbreaking that the damage we have already caused to the world in terms of habit loss, both in human life and loss of biodiversity can’t be washed away so easily when it rains.

When it comes to what I see as more important, the intrinsic value of inanimate objects or that of polar bears, I choose polar bears every time ☹️

However, I fully accept that I’m in a minority here so won’t argue the point - that’s just my POV that’s all. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I agree with every word apart from the much treasured or loved momument. It’s a bunch of old stones that may or may not have had some meaning hundreds of years ago. It looked very insignificant when I passed by on the road.
As you say, the rain will wash it off.
In fact the rain and wind will do a lot more damage by erosion than any powder.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have had another think about this. It wasn't 'paint' and the historical monument will be back to new after a couple of rain showers.

So it wasn't 'counterproductive'. Just a bit pointless, in the end.

And as others have noted it would be more impressive if JSO did some protesting in Delhi, Beijing or São Paolo.

I was harrassed by some of them at the A2/A259 junction (Faversham) as I started my drive to the Amex, 6 months ago. One old bat was pissy at me because I was driving. Should I give up football as a gesture to stop oil? No. The idea is idiotic.

Mind you, when Hyppia was manager I did come close to making a noble stand for the planet.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I agree with every word apart from the much treasured or loved momument. It’s a bunch of old stones that may or may not have had some meaning hundreds of years ago. It looked very insignificant when I passed by on the road.
As you say, the rain will wash it off.
In fact the rain and wind will do a lot more damage by erosion than any powder.
Astonishing reply.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Any reports from JSO on the identities of the offenders in question, or did they learn from “martyring” them last time?

If the criminals in question are repeat offenders for similar offences, a custodial sentence is probable.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Any reports from JSO on the identities of the offenders in question, or did they learn from “martyring” them last time?

If the criminals in question are repeat offenders for similar offences, a custodial sentence is probable.
Niamh Lynch, a 21-year-old student from Oxford, and Rajan Naidu, a 73-year-old from Birmingham

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
The law was deliberately changed to make them ‘criminals.
Remember killing people was legal in Germany whereas protecting people was illegal.

Dickens wrote the law is an ass.
hasn’t it always been against the law to cause an obstruction of the highway?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

One of the vandals, Rajan Naidu, is a career criminal previously, and very recently, imprisoned for similar crimes.

I imagine he’s very aware he’s facing another spell in prison.

Such a shame for his family and friends. I hope he receives compassionate care and appropriate mental health treatment while in prison, if needed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
hasn’t it always been against the law to cause an obstruction of the highway?
Did the Falmer demonstrations walking from the pier to the Brighton Centre (quite slowly) break the law?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Did the Falmer demonstrations walking from the pier to the Brighton Centre (quite slowly) break the law?
if they were in the middle of the highway, causing an obstruction then yes they would have. Even though I 100% agreed with the sentiment EDIT : cause, as I do with climate lobbyist, breaking the law doesn’t make it right.

Start to choose which laws you want upheld and which you’re happy to break because you don’t agree with them is hypocritical.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
if they were in the middle of the highway, causing an obstruction then yes they would have. Even though I 100% agreed with the sentiment EDIT : cause, as I do with climate lobbyist, breaking the law doesn’t make it right.

Start to choose which laws you want upheld and which you’re happy to break because you don’t agree with them is hypocritical.
Suffragettes broke the law, Nelson Mandela broke the law.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Suffragettes broke the law, Nelson Mandela broke the law.
so they did.

If I understand history correctly Mandela ended up in prison as a terrorist, yes his cause was noble and in my view correct. He became a world statesman as a politician and duly elected.

So I’ll ask you, did you agree with his actions when he was/ condoned terrorism and killing many innocent peoples
?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
so they did
Looking at another thread, where post masters were labelled criminals, set to prison, so the establishment could cover their backsides.
Fossil fuel lobbyists throw big bucks to politicians to keep their interests going.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Looking at another thread, where post masters were labelled criminals, set to prison, so the establishment could cover their backsides.
Fossil fuel lobbyists throw big bucks to politicians to keep their interests going.
FFL’s, Yes they may well do, and I 100% agree thats wrong.

PM‘s is nothing to do with idiots throwing powder paints. They quite rightly have, through due legal means, chased down the powers that have conspired so shamefully against them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why is this constantly brought up?

BHAFC was a niche cause that needed publicising regularly. And one march slowed traffic down once in one city.

EVERYONE knows about climate change here. Get out to China and India where change is really needed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

BHAFC was a niche cause that needed publicising regularly. And one march slowed traffic down once in one city.

EVERYONE knows about climate change here. Get out to China and India where change is really needed.
Once? I went on three marches to party conferences. Two Labour and one Lib Dem.
Motorists were inconvenienced each time.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

We sat in the road by the Goldstone a few times after games deliberately blocking traffic

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
We are all hypocrites - including those who
are happy to download illegal football streams - we justify it because we disagree with blackout Saturdays and the price of sports channel subscriptions - but it’s still breaking the law. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The ‘hypocrisy’ argument doesn’t hold much water.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here