Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I’m leaning towards this now too. It’s not so crazy when you think about it; it defies sanity for a group to do this and expect support.

Speaking of defying sanity, I also don’t think it’s so far fetched to question whether JSO are encouraging mentally ill people to commit these crimes. To any sane person, the actions seem completely at odds with the issue at hand, and is completely lacking in joined-up thinking.
Well, make your mind up!

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Absolutely shocking that a treasured monument should have powder paint sprayed over it.

I also find it shocking that 467 species have been declared extinct in the past decade and biodiversity is declining at an alarming rate due to anthropological causes to CC.

I find it shocking that the World’s most developed economies signed an agreement in 1997 acknowledging the human contribution to the rate of CC yet we are no closer 27 years later to limiting warming rises to 1.5 degrees. I find it shocking that the World came together in 1997 (and have signed subsequent protocols since) to limit and reduce greenhouse gasses in accordance with individual targets - yet here we are 27 years later - already facing the consequences of CC with CO2 emissions still heating the Earth at an alarming rate.

What is more shocking to me than orange powder paint is that even in the face of predicted staggering sea level rise, extreme droughts, floods and widespread species loss, Governments in the West are dragging their feet and even in some cases, dumping their previously agreed targets to reduce carbon emissions and renewing a commitment to fossil fuels.

I find it absolutely shocking to see a much loved prehistoric monument daubed in powder paint.

But…It will wash off in the next rainfall.

It is heartbreaking that the damage we have already caused to the world in terms of habit loss, both in human life and loss of biodiversity can’t be washed away so easily when it rains.

When it comes to what I see as more important, the intrinsic value of inanimate objects or that of polar bears, I choose polar bears every time ☹️

However, I fully accept that I’m in a minority here so won’t argue the point - that’s just my POV that’s all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Someone who works at Gatwick has told me that they have been warned that "Just stop being a tw@t about Oil" are planning to disrupt airports during the summer holidays...

I can see the police not being required to sort them out if they do attempt anything, there is nothing like an angry Garry, Karen and four kids stuck in airport for dishing out some swift retribution if there flight is delayed.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Can someone find out how Niamh Lynch, a 21-year-old student from Oxford, and Rajan Naidu, a 73-year-old from Birmingham got to Stonehenge. Did they walk or Cycle or as I suspect come by oil powered Car.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
James Whale, Ash and Julia Hartley-Brewer will be onto them tomorrow don't worry.

Absolute Tools !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i edited my error, thanks you perfect one.

I don’t have any idea, not at all. Does that make you feel good inside.
Exaggeration doesn’t help anyone. The press make a lot of one case and then people think it’s happened almost every time a demonstration is held.

Arresting an elderly lady in a wheelchair for proceeding slowly in the road is out of all proportion in my opinion, as is arresting an 81 year old priest.

Pritti Patel, and Suella Braverman both unlawfully ordered arrests of demonstrators to further their political clout.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Exaggeration doesn’t help anyone. The press make a lot of one case and then people think it’s happened almost every time a demonstration is held.

Arresting an elderly lady in a wheelchair for proceeding slowly in the road is out of all proportion in my opinion, as is arresting an 81 year old priest.

Pritti Patel, and Suella Braverman both unlawfully ordered arrests of demonstrators to further their political clout.

I hadn’t exaggerated. If Im deemed to have done then same can be said about you in your virtual denial that anyone had been inconvenienced or had appointments delayed/cancelled.

As for your example of elderly lady going slowly in order to cause delays or a 81 year priest being arrested you are entitled to you view, however my view is that age doesn't put you above the law, if you’re breaking it and get arrested then tough.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
This simply isn't true.

abc

Jan 6, 2007

The problem with the gist of these articles (which are far from being balanced journalism) is that they are arguing that because the cause of eco protestors is so important and for the benefit of everyone, laws should be interpreted differently and eco protesters should be treated more leniently when they break them. This becomes an impossiblly subjective argument that can be applied to any offence and thus law simply breaks down.
Campaign for new different laws that apply to protestors of eco issues by all means but otherwise the law has to be applied equally to all (and this of course means that eco protestors should be treated equally and fairly - not favoured or disadvantaged).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here