Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
sure the way Sunak hamfisted presentation of this is as poor as anything. someone claiming they'll abandon one producer of oil for the largest producer is inconsistent messaging too, i'm sure you can agree. he's after some more £ to compel the investment.
An investment that will tank when Labour take over?

Unlikely.

But you could be right. I don’t trust anyone in big corporate.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
sure the way Sunak hamfisted presentation of this is as poor as anything. someone claiming they'll abandon one producer of oil for the largest producer is inconsistent messaging too, i'm sure you can agree. he's after some more £ to compel the investment.
I so think you have a point, the US is no environmental utopia. But I'll give Biden something he is going for it, America looks after America and he sees there is money in net zero.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
IMG_0412.jpeg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Isn’t this the kind of protests people want ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We have to find balance in our national and global pursuit of net zero. Thankfully we have moved on relatively pointless distractions about cows and are now focusing on the real issue, the production and consumption of fossil fuels. If we 'just stopped oil' over night then the impact on the world's carbon footprint would be enormous. Unfortunately the world's economy is utterly dependant on fossil fuels and such a move would be devastating and of course, as always, the greatest impact would be on the poorest in society. Therefore there needs to be coordinated global plan phasing out of fossil fields and the phasing in of the alternatives. The latter includes being honest about how the global economy actually functions without oil, which is rarely discussed because its just too difficult. Tiny example: The poorest nations are dependant on grain from counties such as Ukraine for survival. The only way to get that to them is by ship and there are no electric ships yet. Therefore no oil = the death of millions until alternative transport means are developed. This will happen before the millions die from climate change and so the impact of stopping oil and addressing climate change have to be addressed together not in isolation.

So I think Sunak is responsible in admitting, against the current rhetoric, that we need to continue producing oil. What is lacking is a genuine plan to phase its use out and that is something every country needs to engage in, not just Britain. I'm not sure any are and so the world's long term dependence on fossil fuels will continue.
Why are all options not being publicly debated, rather than a concentration on ' renewables ' We all need to know what nuclear and hydrogen can offer us, particularly as a greatly enlarged electrification programme is going to demand more power than renewables can offer.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Five people have been arrested after a protest halted the Men's Elite Road Race at the UCI Cycling World Championships in Scotland.
Environmental group This Is Rigged claimed responsibility for the demonstration and said four of its activists were involved.
It was reported that protesters glued themselves to the road.
The race was paused for about 50 minutes before restarting."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66404777

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not quite sure which thread to put this in, but will go with this one

Attack on our judicial system and right to a fair trial. Shutting down of legal rights by the Tory’s and the judges and magistrates in their pockets.
A sad day for Britain.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the judicial system in England is pathetic , absolutely pathetic .....scenes of carnage all over the Notting Hill Carnival but no one has got pinged for it.....prove me wrong please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here