Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Having looked at their website, they aren’t huge fans of people eating free range meat either.

What are your views on the video? The one we’ve gone suspiciously off topic from suddenly by a certain few posters who are vehemently pro JSO?

Do you endorse JSO’s actions there?
Personally I agree it doesn't look good and would prefer they stick to sports and other events. The road blocking stuff is a risk and could cause a serious incident eventually which would back-fire on them.

Last edited:

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Having looked at their website, they aren’t huge fans of people eating free range meat either.

What are your views on the video? The one we’ve gone suspiciously off topic from suddenly by a certain few posters who are vehemently pro JSO?

Do you endorse JSO’s actions there

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove

Do you endorse JSO’

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
The brains behind the Just Stop Oil cult has said he’d block an ambulance with a dying patient.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Yours is post 1'718 on a thread about JSO. I would say that their campaign is doing exactly what they want it to do.
It really isn’t. Much of this discussion is about the pointlessness of pissing people off when trying influence public opinion. I’m pretty sure most of us here, and even those being inconvenienced by the disruption, are on board with the underlying cause, the need to reduce carbon. The question is whether disruption like this increases or lessens the chance of progress.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It really isn’t. Much of this discussion is about the pointlessness of pissing people off when trying influence public opinion. I’m pretty sure most of us here, and even those being inconvenienced by the disruption, are on board with the underlying cause, the need to reduce carbon. The question is whether disruption like this increases or lessens the chance of progress.

Disruption so far has gained no influence or widespread support.

Moreover, they don’t do themselves any favours. It has apparently been so hot in the UK in the last fortnight, the fish belonging to this womans Grandson died in the family pond.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The disruption is being undertaken because the media (especially right wing media) is putting these stories at the front of their news agenda. It sells newspapers, get viewers and clicks galore because it makes certain types of people very, very angry indeed. The more headlines, the more disruption. The media is feeding them the oxygen of publicity they crave.

As for achieving their primary objective of ‘stopping Oil’, it seems that Labour will reverse all the new oil fields when they get in power. I suspect Labour will also come up with some more radical policies looking at these sorts of headlines:

JSO are gambling that the more headlines they get, the more people will join them (which is clearly working) and the more people will start to make environmentally driven decisions. The irony is of course, that for readers of rags like the Express, Sun and Mail, doing the opposite to what JSO want is quite likely because of the type of person who is attracted to that sort of right wing propaganda.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
The brains behind the Just Stop Oil cult has said he’d block an ambulance with a dying patient.

'cult'?

abc

Jan 6, 2007

I find that shocking. The catch all of ‘the right to peaceful protest’ needs reviewing in law so that the actual or potential consequences are taken into account. If someone dies as a result of a protest, particularly if the protesters know they could have acted to avoid it, then I do not see how their action can be described as ‘peaceful’.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

If that statement by him is true, the only message he's getting across is that he's an utter twunt, and that's coming from someone who generally supports the movement.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I find that shocking. The catch all of ‘the right to peaceful protest’ needs reviewing in law so that the actual or potential consequences are taken into account. If someone dies as a result of a protest, particularly if the protesters know they could have acted to avoid it, then I do not see how their action can be described as ‘peaceful’.
It’s not peaceful protest. The threats, bullying, disruption and coercion they use are highly aggressive tactics. The opposite of peaceful.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If that statement by him is true, the only message he's getting across is that he's an utter twunt, and that's coming from someone who generally supports the movement.
the original interview, around 43min.

he goes on to say some deaths are acceptable because he believes the cause is saving billions of lives. in the preceding 10 min Hallam outlines the thinking and objective, its to create discord between groups for and against. it's revolution theory, wind up the people until they react violently.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
the original interview, around 43min.

he goes on to say some deaths are acceptable because he believes the cause is saving billions of lives. in the preceding 10 min Hallam outlines the thinking and objective, its to create discord between groups for and against. it's revolution theory, wind up the people until they react violently.

I wonder if that would apply to members of his own family?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I think we both know the answer to that. It’s easy to be a martyr when the victims are the “other”. Deeply distressing interview by a man I strongly suspect isn’t quite the ticket.
Indeed, but I (would like to) think that the vast majority of his fellow protesters wouldn't take such an extreme viewpoint - in fact, I'm sure they don't, so I still support the movement.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think they want people talking about the issue and keeping it at the forefront of discussions.

That is what's happening. My guess is that they are happy with their efforts.

No such thing as bad publicity and all that.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think we should start to take the names of all the climate cynic and skeptics for a future date when we can ask them what in gods names they were thinking about.

People now know that climate change is affecting our biodiversity. They know it is killing people. If they are persisting in attacking JSO rather than government and business policy, we need to know why.

And if someone does tragically die because an ambulance is delayed, then we can add their name to the 12,000 others claimed by climate change this year.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I think they want people talking about the issue and keeping it at the forefront of discussions.

That is what's happening. My guess is that they are happy with their efforts.

No such thing as bad publicity and all that.
It’s been said repeatedly on this thread and elsewhere — the problem is that there is no upsurge in discourse about the serious climate issues. The protesters' meanness and aggression has become a massive distraction away from the underlying cause.

And "no such thing as bad publicity" is patently untrue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here