Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good question, this would suit ele

Good

Good question, ideal for electric vehicles, however the draw back are, the Logistics and practicality.
Lets take Brighton and M&S as an example . M&S have 2 chilled food and 2 Textile deliveries a day, they arrive at Brighton station, what vehicle do we use for the food collection bearing in mind thatt an artic will carry 40 odd cages per load, total 80 cages = 2 trips in on the artic, thats 8 trips minimum in a 7.5t vehicle and 12 minimum in a 5.5t van. Seperate vehicle needed for Frozen delivery and also for textile delivery. This is just M&S, add in Tesco, Sainsbury, Lidl and Aldi would it be wirth the change.
One other problem, where do you park these vehicles because under you opperstors licence for this type of work they must be psrked on the company Premises and secured site.

Times that against all the other stores is it viable and worth while‽
No. I was talking to a Southampton operator the other day who deliver as far north as Scotland and they said the vast majority of their goods were (and would be) transported via road, not rail. There might be environmental benefits of sticking everything on a train, but it still doesn't get you to the final destination, which means it could be slower (Not great when you've got perishable goods onboard) and more expensive.

What I would say about EV tech in trucks is that it has come a LONG way in the past 5-10 years and I think the driving ranges possible have almost surprised some of the manufacturers. If those improvements carry on (and I guess they have to, the way the industry is going), then swapping the ICE for batteries won't be so much of an issue. From what I've seen, it won't go down well with the drivers, who seem to hate them – but then some truck drivers seem to hate everything about the job!

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
No. I was talking to a Southampton operator the other day who deliver as far north as Scotland and they said the vast majority of their goods were (and would be) transported via road, not rail. There might be environmental benefits of sticking everything on a train, but it still doesn't get you to the final destination, which means it could be slower (Not great when you've got perishable goods onboard) and more expensive.

What I would say about EV tech in trucks is that it has come a LONG way in the past 5-10 years and I think the driving ranges possible have almost surprised some of the manufacturers. If those improvements carry on (and I guess they have to, the way the industry is going), then swapping the ICE for batteries won't be so much of an issue. From what I've seen, it won't go down well with the drivers, who seem to hate them – but then some truck drivers seem to hate everything about the job!
Not all lorry drivers. Yes the job can be shite especially in this country,when i do continental driving its different, just comming out the mont blanc tunnel going into Italy is one amazing drive in a lorry where you are seated higher up.
As lonv as the batteries in the fiture ket me do a range on 400 miles a day and keeps my coffee machine and tv powered im all for the change.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
They could have peaceful protests that dont involve property vandalism or inconvenience the general public...........i would not have a problem with that............
you are wrong to say i would still have a problem if thats what they did
On the face of it that sounds perfectly reasonable - however since the changes to the Public Order Act this year peaceful static demonstrations outside government buildings is fraught with problems.

There is already an “exclusion zone” around Parliament which can be extended by ministers and new ones created at other locations without any democratic checks.

In the 1980s a hard won right to protest was achieved by activists outside South Africa house. Over a period of time the police arrested and charged over a hundred protesters and banned protests directly outside South Africa House.

The courts however dismissed all charges and the protest was allowed to continue.

Under present legislation this would not be the case and the maximum penalty for contravention of the regulations has increased from a fine to imprisonment!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
On the face of it that sounds perfectly reasonable - however since the changes to the Public Order Act this year peaceful static demonstrations outside government buildings is fraught with problems.

There is already an “exclusion zone” around Parliament which can be extended by ministers and new ones created at other locations without any democratic checks.

In the 1980s a hard won right to protest was achieved by activists outside South Africa house. Over a period of time the police arrested and charged over a hundred protesters and banned protests directly outside South Africa House.

The courts however dismissed all charges and the protest was allowed to continue.

Under present legislation this would not be the case and the maximum penalty for contravention of the regulations has increased from a fine to imprisonment!
Wouldn’t be imprisoned though for first, second or even third offences. Presently many of the protestors with JSO have dozens of convictions as I’ve evidenced much earlier in the thread. They have since reoffended and not received custodial sentences.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Very angry man, why don’t you chill out, who hurt you? What isn’t peaceful about spraying paint, no one gets hurt? Imagine being this angry at 1:30am, I hope you find you peace eventually, or the ability to not hold down the full stop key. You don’t know me, you’ve never met me, you’d never say that in real life, so watch your tone and get a grip.
Do you have any other card to play then ‘you’re angry’ smuggly when someone disagrees with you and shows your views to be a little odd…? You suggested (wrongly) I’d been arguing on the Internet all day to try and exert some sort of authority and better than you to me. Seems your go to. Your a classic for what I perceive generation to be - once they’ve left school and found a voice… 🤣 Just try to patronise and belittle anyone who doesn’t agree with your (strange) views and perceptions. Smarmy entitled fucker.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Do you have any other card to play then ‘you’re angry’ smuggly when someone disagrees with you and shows your views to be a little odd…? You suggested (wrongly) I’d been arguing on the Internet all day to try and exert some sort of authority and better than you to me. Seems your go to. Your a classic for what I perceive generation to be - once they’ve left school and found a voice… 🤣 Just try to patronise and belittle anyone who doesn’t agree with your (strange) views and perceptions. Smarmy entitled fucker.
Well you did bizarrely suggest I didn’t care about anyone having a miscarriage, which IMO was pretty offensive, I don’t think I ever dragged that into the debate which you did, which indicates yes I am better than you. A pure whataboutery merchant. This thread is the worst of this website and tbh you sum up the worst of this website as well.

This bloke just completely lost his rag, and said it sums you up, despite never meeting me in real life, having any kind of real opinion of me other than reading a few internet posts, and here you are surprise the same again. Just like when you suggested anyone who is supporting just stop oil (even a tiny bit) doesn’t give a shit about anyone else other than themselves. I think you should get out more, might do you good. Maybe meet some real people who agree/disagree about Just Stop Oil, rather than arguing with people on the internet. I know plenty of people who have views either way and would happily discuss with them, you not so much. You just think you were born right, so couldn’t possibly be wrong.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well you did bizarrely suggest I didn’t care about anyone having a miscarriage, which IMO was pretty offensive, I don’t think I ever dragged that into the debate which you did, which indicates yes I am better than you. A pure whataboutery merchant. This thread is the worst of this website and tbh you sum up the worst of this website as well.

This bloke just completely lost his rag, and said it sums you up, despite never meeting me in real life, having any kind of real opinion of me other than reading a few internet posts, and here you are surprise the same again. Just like when you suggested anyone who is supporting just stop oil (even a tiny bit) doesn’t give a shit about anyone else other than themselves. I think you should get out more, might do you good. Maybe meet some real people who agree/disagree about Just Stop Oil, rather than arguing with people on the internet. I know plenty of people who have views either way.
The same bloke who PMd me laughing at how desperate you were to try and make out I was using something (I’ve been through btw), to beat your lot with when I just mentioned the fact nobody had sent their condolences. And you just proved all my point in one post - ‘get out more’ ‘I’m better than you’. Grade A 🔔 and absolutely called you right. Have a lovely day, I won’t be engaging again - I’ve been here a lot longer than you thanks (Amex join date shock) so don’t need you telling me I’m the worst of this website because I dare disagree with you. Pathetic kid 👋

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The same bloke who PMd me laughing at how desperate you were to try and make out I was using something (I’ve been through btw), to beat your lot with when I just mentioned the fact nobody had sent their condolences. And you just proved all my point in one post - ‘get out more’ ‘I’m better than you’. Grade A 🔔 and absolutely called you right. Have a lovely day, I won’t be engaging again - I’ve been here a lot longer than you thanks (Amex join date shock) so don’t need you telling me I’m the worst of this website because I dare disagree with you. Pathetic kid 👋
Good, I don’t want to interact with you either so glad to hear it. It’s something I’ve been through as well. I think you’ve been equally pathetic so maybe you should grow up a bit, and both me and you taking some time to change our ways.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Living in the city where protests have been taking place for decades, can I ask a few question ?

- As anyone on here been directly affected by a Just Stop Oil Campaign ?
- If so how many times ?
- What direct negative effect did it have on your life ?

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Carbon Capture technology as it exists, is only partially effective, getting more expensive and power hungry the closer it gets to 100% efficiency. It reeks to me of yet another fossil fuel initiative to slow transition away from fossil fuels. I don’t agree with JSO that it’s a unicorn technology, but my understanding is that it’s expensive, power hungry and only partially effective.

I also don’t agree with the “it’s hard so let’s just give up” mentality. We need to keep going as fast as we can, even if we miss targets and the worst happens, we need to give our kids and grandkids the best chance of survival and undoing some of the damage.

I’m glad you have some more positive looking figures, and I genuinely hope that the figures you have are more accurate than my far more pessimistic ones. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between, but time will tell.

You say that stopping most consumption is unachievable, but I’m not so sure. I actually believe that human ingenuity can and will find a way. We’ve already developed technologies that can achieve what’s needed, albeit many have drawbacks in their current, early development, forms. E.g. shipping is expecting to use “alternative fuels” prior to switching to green hydrogen.

My personal assessment is that the consequences of heating the planet aren’t going to hang around while we get our ducks in a row, they’re being felt now. Where anyone has an opportunity to decarbonise to even a small extent, we should, even at the cost of a bit of convenience.

I personally don’t want Britain to be “bringing up the rear” on these things, I want us leading and exporting our expertise. Yet again we’re watching golden opportunities slip past us and complaining about having to make changes, instead of embracing them, and leading the charge globally.

Others will take the lead, in ten years time we’ll be decarbonising and relying on French or Spanish companies to control our infrastructure because we don’t have the resources or expertise. Disappointing.
Great post.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Living in the city where protests have been taking place for decades, can I ask a few question ?

- If so how many times ?
Yes directly twice, one fine and having to spend night in a lay by, the other one a tachograph infringement but no fine but missed a days work had ti taje as a holiday day. 2 times indirectly held up on Motorway just got home a lot later than usual one of them with 9 min to spare.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes directly twice, one fine and having to spend night in a lay by, the other one a tachograph infringement but no fine but missed a days work had ti taje as a holiday day. 2 times indirectly held up on Motorway just got home a lot later than usual one of them with 9 min to spare.

Thank you for replying - I wasn't fishing. I've never been affected by Just Stop Oil but negatively affected by Extinction Rebellion whose behaviour outside London Hospitals (particular St. Thomas') is beyond excuse, even if the planet is burning.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

- If so how many times ?
I'd imagine virtually none.

It's the same as the immigrants / asylum seekers issue, people made to get angry about people they don't know and an issue that doesn't affect them. Or Boris Johnson fans who when asked to name one good thing about him they go silent, or people who voted to leave the EU cos of all those EU laws yet cannot name one. People who think they believe in the "What" but don't know or understand / are ignorant to the "Why"

The establishment dictating the narrative, and the sheeple who follow the narrative

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Thank you for replying - I wasn't fishing. I've never been affected by Just Stop Oil but negatively affected by Extinction Rebellion whose behaviour outside London Hospitals (particular St. Thomas') is beyond excuse, even if the planet is burning.
No problem, i think with me because of what has happened is tge reason i detest the way they are protesting. My fine was only £30, but it could have been alot more. I would support them if they did not Inconvenience the genera public. I know some on here will say but its in our best Interest, yes i know but i am only doing my job. Ònce u have fallen foul if these demos a couple of times then it does get ur back up.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

It's the same as the immigrants / asylum seekers issue, people made to get angry about people they don't know and an issue that doesn't affect them. Or Boris Johnson fans who when asked to name one good thing about him they go silent, or people who voted to leave the EU cos of all those EU laws yet cannot name one. People who think they believe in the "What" but don't know or understand / are ignorant to the "Why"

The establishment dictating the narrative, and the sheeple who follow the narrative
Is this what they call 'sea lioning'?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I have to a disagree even as a yoghurt knitting car hating hypocrite who loves to fly over to Spain.

I know carers who have been disrupted. Not from the news, they are looking after family.

I personally complained to Extinction Rebellion outside a hospital. I was in a ward where the patients were being kept awake by their f***ing drums right outside. I went out and told them so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here