Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
My problem is the haulage companies, Tesla brought out a tractor unit fully electric, attached that to the trailer and that was it, the combind weight was more than Legally allowed on british roads, my aim in truck us to cover between 400 and 450 miles per day, an electric truck will do at best 250 miles before it needs to be charged, thats without a fridge trailer attached. Yes we can put more electric trucks on the road, but how are these extra drivers pay comming from. I think Diesel will still be needed for the next 10 years.
Genuine question, what is your view or moving haulage over to rail. I think the government don’t invest in the idea of rail based freight haulage enough. Rail corridors could do a lot of help. Anyway it would be interesting to hear your thoughts of this and once that’s said I’m gonna dip out of this thread because it’s unbelievably toxic/misinformed.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Given that we are going to need some oil in the future...........even some of the sensible anti oil peeps have admitted this,
can the JSO apologists explain what the benefits are of being entirely reliant on oil imports when all existing licences expire and no new licences are issued?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It’s almost like there’s a government in charge who’s caused those fares to be so high. But surely the people complaining would never vote for those people.
I think the government subsidises the railways, don't they? Without government support, the prices would be even higher.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It’s funny how some of you prove my point straight away. Protest at Downing Street, so maybe not Downing Street but a government building. Of course you’ve still got an issue.
It doesn’t prove your point.
If you are unable to differentiate between peaceful protest at a government building and vandalism of property then you have a screw loose.
You have a problem and cannot recognise it.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It doesn’t prove your point.
If you are unable to differentiate between peaceful protest at a government building and vandalism of property then you have a screw loose.
You have a problem and cannot recognise it.
They could do anything because and you’d still have a problem, so why not just say that.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think the government subsidises the railways, don't they? Without government support, the prices would be even higher.
Yes but they could subsidise them even more instead of paying dividends to European State railway companies to run it for them. And run a completely state funded for the user railway, but they actively choose not to, to get people in cars.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Genuine question, what is your view or moving haulage over to rail. I think the government don’t invest in the idea of rail based freight haulage enough. Rail corridors could do a lot of help. Anyway it would be interesting to hear your thoughts of this and once that’s said I’m gonna dip out of this thread because it’s unbelievably toxic/misinformed.
Part of this high speed rail idea is entirely that, moving freight way from roads onto rails, its not all about swift passenger journeys

But we dont want to do that in this country............there is a concerted campaign against high speed rail investment.
very short sighted............we will pay for it in the future

Reactions: A1X

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Part of this high speed rail idea is entirely that, moving freight way from roads onto rails, its not all about swift passenger journeys

But we dont want to do that in this country............there is a concerted campaign against high speed rail investment.
very short sighted............we will pay for it in the future
Well it appears we agree on something, as a government they are behind on that investment, and if they won’t listen I don’t see anything wrong with spraying a bit of paint on their windows.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They could do anything because and you’d still have a problem, so why not just say that.
They could have peaceful protests that dont involve property vandalism or inconvenience the general public...........i would not have a problem with that............
you are wrong to say i would still have a problem if thats what they did

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Well it appears we agree on something, as a government they are behind on that investment, and if they won’t listen I don’t see anything wrong with spraying a bit of paint on their windows.
I know you dont have a problem with property vandalism............you have made that quite clear.
I expect nothing else from that sort of selfish mindset.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I know you dont have a problem with property vandalism............you have made that quite clear.
I expect nothing else from that sort of selfish mindset.
I would have an issues if they smashed up someone’s house, but I don’t have a problem if they smash up government property, no. Smash up doing some heavy lifting here as well, for some orange paint.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I would have an issues if they smashed up someone’s house, but I don’t have a problem if they smash up government property, no. Smash up doing some heavy lifting here as well, for some orange paint.
i know you dont have an issue with it..............says all that needs saying about you.
no one has to pay to fix the vandalsim after all do they.................its a freebie fixed by unicorns and smug

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
i know you dont have an issue with it..............says all that needs saying about you.
no one has to pay to fix the vandalsim after all do they.................its a freebie fixed by unicorns and smug
Very angry man, why don’t you chill out, who hurt you? What isn’t peaceful about spraying paint, no one gets hurt? Imagine being this angry at 1:30am, I hope you find you peace eventually, or the ability to not hold down the full stop key. You don’t know me, you’ve never met me, you’d never say that in real life, so watch your tone and get a grip.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Very angry man, why don’t you chill out, who hurt you? What isn’t peaceful about spraying paint, no one gets hurt? Imagine being this angry at 1:30am, I hope you find you peace eventually, or the ability to not hold down the full stop key. You don’t know me, you’ve never met me, you’d never say that in real life, so watch your tone and get a grip.
LOL.......................................................................................

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
LOL.......................................................................................
Hope you find your inner peace if not the ability to not hold the full stop key down. I don’t think you are a bad person, but I think you need to control your emotions more, maybe grow up a bit, but that’s just my opinion.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
if the chances were so low, we may as well give up as it's not going to be achieved - would you place your financial future on a 20/1 bet?

some more practical numbers here (google docs ) gives a 50% chance if we hit emissions targets by 2050. if we're serious then carbon capture is absolutely essential. JSO isnt interested in that, says thats unicorn technology. they dont offer any other alternatives, just say stop using all fossil fuels in a few years, and stop most consumption. which isn't remotely viable. their demands are absurd and unachievable, they are wasting theirs and everyone elses time.

Carbon Capture technology as it exists, is only partially effective, getting more expensive and power hungry the closer it gets to 100% efficiency. It reeks to me of yet another fossil fuel initiative to slow transition away from fossil fuels. I don’t agree with JSO that it’s a unicorn technology, but my understanding is that it’s expensive, power hungry and only partially effective.

I also don’t agree with the “it’s hard so let’s just give up” mentality. We need to keep going as fast as we can, even if we miss targets and the worst happens, we need to give our kids and grandkids the best chance of survival and undoing some of the damage.

I’m glad you have some more positive looking figures, and I genuinely hope that the figures you have are more accurate than my far more pessimistic ones. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between, but time will tell.

You say that stopping most consumption is unachievable, but I’m not so sure. I actually believe that human ingenuity can and will find a way. We’ve already developed technologies that can achieve what’s needed, albeit many have drawbacks in their current, early development, forms. E.g. shipping is expecting to use “alternative fuels” prior to switching to green hydrogen.

My personal assessment is that the consequences of heating the planet aren’t going to hang around while we get our ducks in a row, they’re being felt now. Where anyone has an opportunity to decarbonise to even a small extent, we should, even at the cost of a bit of convenience.

I personally don’t want Britain to be “bringing up the rear” on these things, I want us leading and exporting our expertise. Yet again we’re watching golden opportunities slip past us and complaining about having to make changes, instead of embracing them, and leading the charge globally.

Others will take the lead, in ten years time we’ll be decarbonising and relying on French or Spanish companies to control our infrastructure because we don’t have the resources or expertise. Disappointing.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Good question, this would suit ele
Good
Good question, ideal for electric vehicles, however the draw back are, the Logistics and practicality.
Lets take Brighton and M&S as an example . M&S have 2 chilled food and 2 Textile deliveries a day, they arrive at Brighton station, what vehicle do we use for the food collection bearing in mind thatt an artic will carry 40 odd cages per load, total 80 cages = 2 trips in on the artic, thats 8 trips minimum in a 7.5t vehicle and 12 minimum in a 5.5t van. Seperate vehicle needed for Frozen delivery and also for textile delivery. This is just M&S, add in Tesco, Sainsbury, Lidl and Aldi would it be wirth the change.
One other problem, where do you park these vehicles because under you opperstors licence for this type of work they must be psrked on the company Premises and secured site.

Times that against all the other stores is it viable and worth while‽

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Good

Good question, ideal for electric vehicles, however the draw back are, the Logistics and practicality.
Lets take Brighton and M&S as an example . M&S have 2 chilled food and 2 Textile deliveries a day, they arrive at Brighton station, what vehicle do we use for the food collection bearing in mind thatt an artic will carry 40 odd cages per load, total 80 cages = 2 trips in on the artic, thats 8 trips minimum in a 7.5t vehicle and 12 minimum in a 5.5t van. Seperate vehicle needed for Frozen delivery and also for textile delivery. This is just M&S, add in Tesco, Sainsbury, Lidl and Aldi would it be wirth the change.
One other problem, where do you park these vehicles because under you opperstors licence for this type of work they must be psrked on the company Premises and secured site.

obvious answer here, trains pull in to the goods yard and a fleet of barrow boys and drays take the goods on to the shops :thumbsup:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I

Good

It seems an obvious solution doesn’t it, it’s strange the government is so anti it. It wouldn’t eliminate the need for Road Haulage completely but would bring down the journey times, I think the overheads of buying a train are a lot more expensive as well. Just seems a shame this country has always ignored it, compared to somewhere like Germany. It’s why not being a huge fan of criminal damage (despite Pastafarians insistence) I’m not against spraying paint over their windows, as ultimately they’re the only hand that’ll be to invest in the serious infrastructure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here