Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I mean, how does this shit not boil your piss to 1000 degrees.

The energy charter treaty (ECT) is a system of secret courts that enables companies to sue governments over policies that would cut their future profits. Companies have sued over phasing out coal-fired power stations, ending offshore oil drilling and banning fracking. The UK’s Climate Change Committee said Britain should withdraw from the ECT because recently proposed reforms did not go far enough.

The UK and Japan are the only major economies not to have committed to exiting the ECT. “
This is the thing that the JSO guy was talking about in the debate video earlier wasn't it?

I find it hard to believe that people would rather criticise the JSO people before they criticise this shit.

I for one wouldn't have known about this* if it wasn't for the JSO people. I am probably not the only one so the JSO people are creating a bit more awareness (along with your good self of course).

* I knew the fossil fuel companies has governments in their pockets but not to this organised extent.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Can we close this thread as it means we are talking about these morons.
You can always not open it. Or not type on it. That would facilitate you not having to talk about them.

Personally I want people to keep talking about them. If we talk about them then the inconvience isn't a waste of time.

There are also some very knowledgeable people on this thread. I am learning a lot.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Are you suggesting a Green Party government would be best for Britain in an economic crisis? Because Labour aren’t offering much different on the climate front, and only then from a position of no accountability as the opposition.
I think parties per se are a major part of the problem as they have to pander to the whims of the people they represent so possibly independent might be better. We have a government which wants to reduce taxation but at same time says there is too much spare money in the economy and just raise interest rates. IF you raise just raise interest rates you are hitting heavy borrowers (mainly mortgages and mainly for young people) rather than also hitting the older generations (which I am part of) who have spare cash because they don't have a mortgage and just want to spend what they have accrued because they don't want to leave it in inheritance tax. Neither situation is ideal but if reducing free cash is the answer(it might not be) then at least be fair about but increased taxation t would hit more Tory voters and therefore unacceptable.

You seem to be dismissive of Labour yet we have had 13 years of Tory government , including the most massive FU under Truss.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can we close this thread as it means we are talking about these morons.
“Nobody else should be allowed to talk about things I don’t want to”

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think parties per se are a major part of the problem as they have to pander to the whims of the people they represent so possibly independent might be better. We have a government which wants to reduce taxation but at same time says there is too much spare money in the economy and just raise interest rates. IF you raise just raise interest rates you are hitting heavy borrowers (mainly mortgages and mainly for young people) rather than also hitting the older generations (which I am part of) who have spare cash because they don't have a mortgage and just want to spend what they have accrued because they don't want to leave it in inheritance tax. Neither situation is ideal but if reducing free cash is the answer(it might not be) then at least be fair about but increased taxation t would hit more Tory voters and therefore unacceptable.

You seem to be dismissive of Labour yet we have had 13 years of Tory government , including the most massive FU under Truss.
I’m not dismissive of Labour, I’ve said multiple times I am voting Labour at the next election. I’ve also made my distaste for the Tory mob plain. I am managing expectations as to what is actually feasible and possible to get through parliament and retain public support. I pointed out before that even if Corbyn had won, most of his promises would’ve been impossible to action anyway without cross-party support (which was never going to happen).

Opposition parties always project a panacea if they were in power; always. They’re hardly going to say “well, we can’t change too much or it will be even worse”. Anyone expecting a radical new dawn of environmentalism is going to be sorely disappointed and not a little angry.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
People already know the facts.

The sheer arrogance of these twats to think only they know the truth is what's most evident.

We all know things need changing but when people are working to keep a roof on their head and food on the table those things take precedence and they don't have time for these people's garbage.

It's telling that the people who are causing all this crap look like they are retired or have zero regular people responsibilities to take care of day to day.
People don't know the facts and that is the issue in the same way a lot of people did not understand what the REAL impact of BREXIT was and that includes remainers and leavers and that is the same for many complex issues.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Got held up by them on the way to a Hospital in London whilst my wife was having a miscarriage. In terms of time and delays it wouldn't have made any difference if they were protesting not. It just made an unpleasant experience more so.

Didn't go to the press about it or even cross my mind to, as I had more important things to deal with.
So sorry to hear this mate. Hopefully it’s a sobering thought for those sticking up for the way these people are going about their ‘protesting’. All the best to you and your family at this time x

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
We're currently expected to run out of oil in 50 years. Do JSO think that the world can use other forms of energy, and leave the oil in the ground, and there won't be any countries that still want to use it?
do you think we can burn all the oil and just about manage to get away with it?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Oh I see, the problem is your inability to read it seems..... it isn't ready yet, it's getting closer, most estimates forecast full-scale fusion generation by 2050... a short generation away, that's all..... small-scale breakthroughs have already happened.
any link at all?

if it does work, it maybe too late

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Ermmmm.....that was my point.

The average temperature across the world ought to be constant acro2s the year I would have thought because for anywhere that is having summer, an equal amount of somewhere else is having winter. And so on.

So how come global temperature has a single annual cycle and a peak in our (northern hemisphere) summer? According to those data. :shrug:
more landmass in the northern hemisphere means the air above it heats up more

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Doesn't matter whether it's a biased media or the general public, my point is that, in the main, people are discussing the protests and not the science.
they won't discuss the science as they don't understand it and a lot of news outlets are biased

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
People already know the facts.

The sheer arrogance of these twats to think only they know the truth is what's most evident.

We all know things need changing but when people are working to keep a roof on their head and food on the table those things take precedence and they don't have time for these people's garbage.

It's telling that the people who are causing all this crap look like they are retired or have zero regular people responsibilities to take care of day to day.
try to remain calm

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Dale Vince one of Just Stop Oil's main funding sources today issued a chilling warning of more high profile disruption to sporting events. I think there could be huge disruption at the Open later this month and the British Grand Prix is sure to be a target as the jewel in the crown of British Sporting events.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-profile-sports-will-be-on-hit-list-wimbledon
Really stupid someone is gonna get killed before long. Events like GP are dangerous to be running onto the track. I say stop just stop oil

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Doesn't matter whether it's a biased media or the general public, my point is that, in the main, people are discussing the protests and not the science.
I refer you to the last point in my post you originally replied to:

'Also, it's funny how EVERY form of protesting/making a point seems to be the WRONG way of doing it in the eyes of some'

There is a 'right' way to protest for some people because they simply don't like protesting and protesters themselves! And having a go at them, instead of actually considering the bigger picture, is like shooting fish in a barrel. Ignorance is bliss!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here