Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Infinitely more likely to be held up by traffic. Let's ban cars
They use sirens and by law drivers must allow emergency vehicles on sirens to pass. This has always been the case…

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I am not denying climate change. I do what I can, recycle thoroughly and properly, drive a hybrid (although I don’t have a car at the moment), take public transport where possible, only have meat dinners maximum three times a week. In short, I am the poster child of doing what’s reasonable to expect for an average punter to do.

15,000 deaths caused by climate change, okay. It doesn’t mean that blocking ambulances is right. Surely you can see that? Just because a gunman kills 10 people before being subdued before they can kill 100, it’s still 10 lives lost not 90 saved.

It’s exactly viewpoints like this from the extremists that make you realise nothing will ever be good enough for the protestors. They don’t want “no new drilling”, they want a vegan paradise where everyone lives saintly lives according to their own sets of moral standards.

And this is why they are hated.
Please read my post. I have said that blocking ambulances is not what protesters are aiming to do, but that will come with disruption.

Your gunman analogy muddies the waters. There are 15,000 deaths attributable to climate change. That is a sad fact.

You open your post saying you are not a climate change denier, but go on to complain about direct action aimed at stopping climate change.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Assumption isn’t good. Most people believe we need to be greener. Talking about the actions of these protestors is a different matter. It’s quite easy to differentiate the two.
I suppose the thing that bothers me, is the level of vitriol and energy directed at the protesters, whilst the thing they are protesting about is greeted with a shrug*
*not everyone of course.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Doesn't matter whether it's a biased media or the general public, my point is that, in the main, people are discussing the protests and not the science.

In the main, the vast majority of people know enough about the science to understand that action is required urgently.
How much more discussion is required?

Just Stop Oil . Pretty much sums it up for many people.
The counter argument seems to be "Don't want to. So not going to."

Those that don't want to, are focussing on the demonstrators, because they really don't want to have a proper discussion on it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The people being triggered by these acts won't be won over.
They aren't the target.

If you don't care about the issue, after the facts have been presented to you, then fair enough.
It doesn't mean it isn't the single most important issue for the coming generations.

People already know the facts.

The sheer arrogance of these twats to think only they know the truth is what's most evident.

We all know things need changing but when people are working to keep a roof on their head and food on the table those things take precedence and they don't have time for these people's garbage.

It's telling that the people who are causing all this crap look like they are retired or have zero regular people responsibilities to take care of day to day.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am not denying climate change. I do what I can, recycle thoroughly and properly, drive a hybrid (although I don’t have a car at the moment), take public transport where possible, only have meat dinners maximum three times a week. In short, I am the poster child of doing what’s reasonable to expect for an average punter to do.

15,000 deaths caused by climate change, okay. It doesn’t mean that blocking ambulances is right. Surely you can see that? Just because a gunman kills 10 people before being subdued before they can kill 100, it’s still 10 lives lost not 90 saved.

It’s exactly viewpoints like this from the extremists that make you realise nothing will ever be good enough for the protestors. They don’t want “no new drilling”, they want a vegan paradise where everyone lives saintly lives according to their own sets of moral standards.

And this is why they are hated.

Stopping ambulances ( or was it one ambulance) was bad PR and those involved were stupid not to admit it was a mistake thus generating even worse PR which did the campaign no favours. Play to your audience don't alienate it, dare I say in the early days had a protestor been hospitalised or killed might have generated more sympathy but I think they are probably past that point.

JSO are not extremists if they were they would be blowing up oil refineries rather than tinkering around the edges.

The media are blaming JSO for a lot of ills. If we go back to the ambulance incident , lots of people get to hospital by ambulance but are then left untreated and die others don't even get an ambulance to turn up in time. The problem is lack of investment in the NHS which is the real issue.

I am not a vegan but accept we need to change and that includes a range of measures e.g. smaller petrol guzzling cars, eat less red meat, consume less material objects which generate fuel use so less 'fashion', less electric junk, wear a jumper in the house during winter. I could go on.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Doesn't matter whether it's a biased media or the general public, my point is that, in the main, people are discussing the protests and not the science.
agree but how do you counter the strength of bias, we even have a PM saying trust in me it will all get better yet presenting no evidence that it is and the right wing press nod yes ( until they can manage to get him out for another Liz Truss). Think through the nonsense. The attempt to stifle David Attenborough (the last episode in recent series) tell you all you need to know.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
agree but how do you counter the strength of bias, we even have a PM saying trust in me it will all get better yet presenting no evidence that it is and the right wing press nod yes ( until they can manage to get him out for another Liz Truss). Think through the nonsense. The attempt to stifle David Attenborough (the last episode in recent series) tell you all you need to know.
Are you suggesting a Green Party government would be best for Britain in an economic crisis? Because Labour aren’t offering much different on the climate front, and only then from a position of no accountability as the opposition.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
probably quite a few have been, not every single happening gets into press.
And how many are held up by the sheer weight of traffic, with nowhere to go, in order to get out of the way?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I suppose the thing that bothers me, is the level of vitriol and energy directed at the protesters, whilst the thing they are protesting about is greeted with a shrug*
*not everyone of course.
I mean, how does this shit not boil your piss to 1000 degrees.

The energy charter treaty (ECT) is a system of secret courts that enables companies to sue governments over policies that would cut their future profits. Companies have sued over phasing out coal-fired power stations, ending offshore oil drilling and banning fracking. The UK’s Climate Change Committee said Britain should withdraw from the ECT because recently proposed reforms did not go far enough.

The UK and Japan are the only major economies not to have committed to exiting the ECT. “

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I mean, how does this shit not boil your piss to 1000 degrees.

The energy charter treaty (ECT) is a system of secret courts that enables companies to sue governments over policies that would cut their future profits. Companies have sued over phasing out coal-fired power stations, ending offshore oil drilling and banning fracking. The UK’s Climate Change Committee said Britain should withdraw from the ECT because recently proposed reforms did not go far enough.

The UK and Japan are the only major economies not to have committed to exiting the ECT. “
I agree.

I don't think people realise how much media companies, lobbyists and big business is arranged against them. We should not be surprised that there are so many people who dismiss JSO just as we should not be surprised that younger people are not on the streets protesting at how they are priced out of the housing market and increasing forced to accept low paid jobs with little employment protection. I think that is because we are fed a diet of news that just anaesthetises us against it all. And failing that, there's always the football to watch. I mean, seriously, I have no idea why people are not revolting at the idea of a footballer being paid £200,000 a week while people struggle to get by. Why are they not all on the streets getting angry?

You're right in pointing out that we (the UK) can only do our bit. I think we can also demonstrate leadership on a global stage by making a noise. Maybe Texans will wake up this week as the skin burns off their bodies, but I haven't much hope.

In my twenties I was a passionate environmentalist. I was a committed veggie. Then I got a job at the Body Shop that really allowed me to campaign on social and environmental issues. I carried that through into my thirties. Then somewhere in my forties I just got disillusioned. I guess I thought that nothing would change, so what the hell. I got despondent at trying to justify environmentalism at every turn. I depressed at peoples inability to do some of the basic things. I'm ashamed at myself for that.

But now, I'll do what I can to push the message again. I'll stand up for JSO and others. I truly think we're are all being led down the garden path by conscious detractors, and by unconscious detractors.

People, your planet is burning and you won't survive. It's that simple.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No they don't, at least JSO don't, that's an extreme view in itself IMO.

I'm sure some, potentially many, people who protest for JSO want a vegan paradise, but not all and that's not what JSO want.

Either way seems a bit of an extreme reason to hate people?
By all accounts a vegan paradise would be a big big help when it comes to climate change. I have to say that a vegan paradise sounds also much better than whatever we are living in now (definately not a paradise).

I say this as neither a vegan nor a vegetarian.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you suggesting a Green Party government would be best for Britain in an economic crisis? Because Labour aren’t offering much different on the climate front, and only then from a position of no accountability as the opposition.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I love the fact that the same posters are making the same point about JSO's strategies not working. All while discussing those strategies and keeping the thread going on the front page and spreading the word.

Keep at it posters and keep at it JSO. You are all doing a great job.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
People already know the facts.

The sheer arrogance of these twats to think only they know the truth is what's most evident.

We all know things need changing but when people are working to keep a roof on their head and food on the table those things take precedence and they don't have time for these people's garbage.

It's telling that the people who are causing all this crap look like they are retired or have zero regular people responsibilities to take care of day to day.
Sounds like you're projecting tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here