Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
easy to say so in a survey, then sign the petition when one is actually proposed down the road. trouble is NIMBYs are very vocal and persistent, there isnt usually a pro lobby to argue for a development. Mrs Jennings from Hampshire Society for Birds and 100 people the other side of town complaining about the eye soar and noise can object to wind turbines being built. you can call bollocks, look in to any planning and find a long list of objections played out over years before anything gets built, and often doesnt.
Good point, I’ve not done the research on the objections.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
It was all over the news Harry, publicity innit.
Which isn’t to say im all for all of JSO’s actions, but I have huge sympathy for their aims & share their fury at the lack of action by government. I don’t really understand, why everyone isn’t a bit more concerned and on the side of the activists. But, y’know, different strokes and all that.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Good point, I’ve not done the research on the objections.
Interestingly (or maybe not...), it doesn't matter what basis they object. Footnote 54 of the NPPF effectively allows any local objections, unless there is local backing, a windfarm development at the moment won't proceed. Obviously this means all the local BANANAs have lots of power in this regard.

Normally, if a proposed development is compliant with the NPPF and local policy it should/will be approved, almost regardless of objections, unless things get very political, but then you can appeal etc.

However, footnote 54 allows windfarm objections to take precedence. Solely in to appease Tory MPs/Councillors/grandees etc.

Footnote 54: “Except for applications for the repowering of existing wind turbines, a proposed wind energy development involving one or more turbines should not be considered acceptable unless it is in an area identified as suitable for wind energy development in the development plan; and, following consultation, it can be demonstrated that the planning impacts identified by the affected local community have been fully addressed and the proposal has their backing”.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
easy to say so in a survey, then sign the petition when one is actually proposed down the road. trouble is NIMBYs are very vocal and persistent, there isnt usually a pro lobby to argue for a development. Mrs Jennings from Hampshire Society for Birds and 100 people the other side of town complaining about the eye sore and noise can object to wind turbines being built. you can call bollocks, look in to any planning and find a long list of objections played out over years before anything gets built, and often doesnt.

example, the turbines off the A27 north of Polegate. 3-4 years for permission with every group making daft arguments against. objections about the view from South Downs, the impact on Pevensey levels miles to the east, usual animal protection groups. Hailsham Town council objected when it was out of their area and no one from Hailsham could see them. i beleive there was supposed to be 6 or 8, reduced numbers was one way of getting past objections to noise (next the A27 ffs).
See above. Incentivise people with cheap energy bills and more would be for it. Apologies for oversized graphics and I haven't fact-checked the sources and graphs but I think this is accepted (just not publicised much) - renewables are much much cheaper. Yes the solar power cost I suspect is for USA which gets more sunshine than we do, but onshore wind is just as cheap. Shame the renewable energy companies don't have the cash reserves to "lobby" (probably bribe) our politicians.

1688926867926.png

1688926948113.png

Attachments

• 1688926794322.png
    1688926794322.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 39

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NIMBYism might not always be shallow and self-centred.

The second half of this pod, concerning https://stopbotleywest.com/home

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
See above. Incentivise people with cheap energy bills and more would be for it. Apologies for oversized graphics and I haven't fact-checked the sources and graphs but I think this is accepted (just not publicised much) - renewables are much much cheaper. Yes the solar power cost I suspect is for USA which gets more sunshine than we do, but onshore wind is just as cheap. Shame the renewable energy companies don't have the cash reserves to "lobby" (probably bribe) our politicians.
incentives may help, if they can get it into law along with changes to planning. i remember they talked about this a few years ago, when it looked like being a vote loser it was dropped. NIMBY power is strong and in every political party, they plead for solutions but cave in to minor opposition. i dont buy not having the money though, if the profit margin is there, usually the money follows.

maybe this is what JSO should be doing, promoting the alternative, sell a positive message.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
incentives may help, if they can get it into law along with changes to planning. i remember they talked about this a few years ago, when it looked like being a vote loser it was dropped. NIMBY power is strong and in every political party, they plead for solutions but cave in to minor opposition. i dont buy not having the money though, if the profit margin is there, usually the money follows.

maybe this is what JSO should be doing, promoting the alternative, sell a positive message.
Yes agreed promoting alternatives would be a good strategy. Renewable energy companies surely can't compete financially with Exxon, Shell etc - they've got decades of massive profits in the bank and are using this to influence government policy.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Here's a nice fun graph showing global average temperatures.

Very nice spike at the summer of this year for some reason.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What they want is for people like you to get really worked up, red in the face with rage and the mouth froth dripping.

They then require you to go all over social media and bleat about the incident which is exactly what you have done. They have won, you have lost. You’ve given them free publicity rather than ignoring them.

They haven't won a thing. They just get closer and closer to something bad happening to them.

Imagine thinking that ignoring them makes them think twice about doing it again.

Thinking they can get away with f***ing with regular people because there are no consequences for their actions is why they keep doing it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Very interesting and fair debate I came across here.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
UN Secretary General says Just Stop Oil - Countries must phase out coal and other fossil fuels to avert climate “catastrophe”. I am with Antonio Guterres. This is based on the science not idle opinion.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
They haven't won a thing. They just get closer and closer to something bad happening to them.

Imagine thinking that ignoring them makes them think twice about doing it again.

Thinking they can get away with f***ing with regular people because there are no consequences for their actions is why they keep doing it.
TBF I often think that George Osborne is one of the common folk, just like us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here's a nice fun graph showing global average temperatures.

Very nice spike at the summer of this year for some reason.
I love the way that the temperature across the word peaks in August.

Summer innit.

Those Ausies may think they have escaped the grasp of the glorious British (English) Empire, but those data show a different story. The wet ponces will NEVER escape our seasons. Barby on the beach on Christmas day, my arse. They were just making it all up.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
easy to say so in a survey, then sign the petition when one is actually proposed down the road. trouble is NIMBYs are very vocal and persistent, there isnt usually a pro lobby to argue for a development. Mrs Jennings from Hampshire Society for Birds and 100 people the other side of town complaining about the eye sore and noise can object to wind turbines being built. you can call bollocks, look in to any planning and find a long list of objections played out over years before anything gets built, and often doesnt.

example, the turbines off the A27 north of Polegate. 3-4 years for permission with every group making daft arguments against. objections about the view from South Downs, the impact on Pevensey levels miles to the east, usual animal protection groups. Hailsham Town council objected when it was out of their area and no one from Hailsham could see them. i beleive there was supposed to be 6 or 8, reduced numbers was one way of getting past objections to noise (next the A27 ffs).
I hate wind farms they are a blot on the landscape,
put them in the sea

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I love the way that the temperature across the word peaks in August.

Summer innit.

Those Ausies may think they have escaped the grasp of the glorious British (English) Empire, but those data show a different story. The wet ponces will NEVER escape our seasons. Barby on the beach on Christmas day, my arse. They were just making it all up.
Except for half the world it isn't summer innit.

Nearly a degree above the global average temperature for this time of year but sure, JSO are the problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here