Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was listening to the radio where it is suggested that feeding daffodils to cattle will reduce their greenhouse gas emission by 30%. This claim is either true or false. Let's park that for a moment. I can't find the news story and the best data I have found is from 2019 (https://blog.agchemigroup.eu/flower-power-daffodils-as-a-feed-additive/#:~:text=As a result of this,organisms to break down carbohydrates.)

George Monbiot called this 'greenwashing'. I found this intriguing and looked up the term.

So, my understanding is that sportswashing is when nasty nations (it used to be multinationals) dump loads of money into a sport so that it appears they are a normal part of the world, making it more likely they will be left to get on with their nasty business.

This means that greenwashing would be nasty oil companies throwing money at green issues to make it look like they are eco friendly so they can be left alone to pursue their nasty petrochemical agenda.

The problem I have with greenwashing in this context is that if feeding daffodils to cattle will reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 30% how is this bad? And isn't it fatuous to criticize oil companies if they are behind this?

Apart from anything else, oil companies* are putting fuel in all our (non-electric) cars. They are not beheading cyclists and chopping the hands off people with solar panels.

*Well, gulf state oil companies probably are, but that is about gulf states, not oil.

The reason I am emoting is that 'greenwashing' if it promotes environmental issues properly and with real impact, has to be a good thing, surely? It won't make me put yet more diesl in my car and drive some extra miles.
if i catch your point, we saying doing somthing about the problem... but then object when they do something. many are using green issues to push other agendas. vegans have jumped on the bandwagon, mustn't eat meat due to animal emissions, so it would be very disappointing for them if someone solved that problem (i'm remined something similar with sheep years ago).

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
that's known, locals dont want onshore windfarms. the politicans will say they want them built, then in face of local hostility say no we wont after all, dropping legislation that will force it through. (see also home building.) easier to get offshore wind through and there is a steady flow of developments, but more costly and longer to build.

what isn't talked about is what we are willing to give up to maintain an oil and gas free world.
Agree 100%.

Everyone agrees on the solution but nobody is prepared to change their lives to facilitate the solution.

I admire the JSO activists. I wish I had their courage. They are doing everything they can to disrupt and annoy.

If they get an opportunity to throw themselves in front of the King’s horse, they should.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
that's known, locals dont want onshore windfarms. the politicans will say they want them built, then in face of local hostility say no we wont after all, dropping legislation that will force it through. (see also home building.) easier to get offshore wind through and there is a steady flow of developments, but more costly and longer to build.

what isn't talked about is what we are willing to give up to maintain an oil and gas free world.
Yep.

There are plans to create a massive solar panel 'farm' near where I live.

There was and is, of course, opposition. From environmentalists:

And red faced conservatives (who have invented a village on the sight that does not exists. Faversham itself is not a village. Twats.):

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The confetti was at someone’s (private) wedding, not a sporting event…….which is out of order imo. Anyone in the public eye will maybe now have to think about security for their weddings, christenings and birthday parties ? Sporting events are fairer game perhaps, blocking roads not so much.
..... and laughingly part or all funded by us bloody taxpayers... taking vital funds out of the potential pot for R&R and subsidy of the evolution of the energy sector...... clever, not.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
if i catch your point, we saying doing somthing about the problem... but then object when they do something. many are using green issues to push other agendas. vegans have jumped on the bandwagon, mustn't eat meat due to animal emissions, so it would be very disappointing for them if someone solved that problem (i'm remined something similar with sheep years ago).
Correct.

(going completely off topic, if I were a Newcastle supporter I could possibly persuade myself that I'd be happy to take Saudi money but with no gratitude, no intention whatsoever to fly on their planes (unless it made sense to do so), to take their side over Israel, or indeed to desist from calling them stone-age murderous oafs who will never be accepted in our society, at every opportunity. The only reason to not take their money (with all the tems I attach) would be if the flow of money from all other sources I find objectionable were to be stopped. That means all the top sides, all the way down to British-owned, locally owned Brighton and Hove Albion).

tronnogull

May 17, 2010

This, this, this. There is no point at all in jso or anyone else targeting oil and gas producers. If there is demand for fossil fuels then they will be produced somewhere in the world. The impact of fossil fuels from UK consumption will be increased if the UK's fossil fuels are imported from further away. The world currently needs fossil fuels for folks, both rich and poor, to live.

A much more useful discussion would be about practices and consumption which we take for granted but which are really not necessary. Throwing away clothes before they are worn out, the size of houses, holiday travel, central heating.....................

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The motivation for opening new oilfields should be to enhance our energy security in the short to medium term whilst the transition to green takes place. Whether that is this government's main motivation is of course debatable. That maybe partly why JSO are seen in a very negative light as they started these protests during a period of massive upheaval in the energy supply.
Yup, the evolution of this sector cannot happen overnight as JSO are suggesting/demanding..... life has to continue until viable alternative sources are developing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As posted on 'congestion' but equally at home here:-

This is the mentality 'we' are up against and this is why it feels like 'we' are fighting a losing (already lost) battle.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's a private function.

Someone's special day.

Anyone who thinks they have some special right to crash that needs a massive slap.
So maybe your ire should be directed at all the media people there - without them the protest would not have been reported and therefore unlikely to have occurred. Do you think that all the photographers there had been invited? They may have been a better target for your reaction.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The confetti was at someone’s (private) wedding, not a sporting event…….which is out of order imo. Anyone in the public eye will maybe now have to think about security for their weddings, christenings and birthday parties ? Sporting events are fairer game perhaps, blocking roads not so much.

I'm surprised Osborne didn't capitalise on the interest an attractive woman had shown in him

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So maybe your ire should be directed at all the media people there - without them the protest would not have been reported and therefore unlikely to have occurred. Do you think that all the photographers there had been invited? They may have been a better target for your reaction.

People can invite who they like to their private functions.

Doesn't give anyone else a right to turn up to it and act like a ****.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Oh wow look, Just Stop Oil do something that impacts the rich and politicians and nobody here is talking about it, seems like people only care when it impacts them.
That is absolutely disgraceful. She should be ashamed of herself. To do that to someone on their big day at such a moment is absolutely gross. My god, these morons have no limits.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
She only married him!
Don’t even know who he is - I’m sure some rich Tory oil type but that is too far. Attending uninvited is bad enough - wedding days should be private for those who are invited. Really doesn’t sit right.

I was all for reducing fossil fuels etc (which we are doing) but I’m now tempted to form ‘Use More Oil’ and get a group together. Won’t be hard to get members. Will hide behind the message (as it won’t make a difference anyway) and just try and cause as much disruption to JSO as possible 🤣

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
To be fair, George Osbourne imposed ideological austerity which led indirectly to the deaths of around 350,000 people, decimated our public services and left us dangerously exposed to a global pandemic.

So yeah, f*** him and his (latest) wedding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here