Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Be interested to know what you posted when quoting my post ?
I was going to agree with you and go a bit deeper into why I think things aren’t moving fast enough. We’ve probably discussed it in other more serious threads about renewable energy as that is an area in which I have a particular interest. I got a bit sidetracked though by someone dishing out abuse so I will retire and let people discuss the tennis.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oil is being phased out anyway. I think what they want is to see themselves on tv.

Not necessarily. The UK and some other countries are steadily doing their bit on consumption. Whilst Canada, Norway, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Qatar continue to churn out the stuff and bank $b’s.

IMG_4707.png

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Oil is being phased out anyway. I think what they want is to see themselves on tv.
I’d go along with that. Whatever they think they’re achieving, it’s pathetic. As if no one’s heard about climate change and doesn’t understand fossil fuels chief cause.

Besides, they’re a bit late to the party. If they’d interrupted Wimbledon circa 1950 I’d be more sympathetic. Telling us we’re all doomed when we already know and can now do nothing to prevent is a bit stupid.

Just enjoy the strawberries and cream I say!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
No, they want people to be talking about the issue that is important to them. Page 37 and counting... Seems it is working.
People have been talking about for decades though. That ship sailed. What was needed (deliberate past tense) was some drastic action. Believe me, people will simply fly over the burning earth etc than think “I’ve caused that”

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
People have been talking about for decades though. That ship sailed. What was needed (deliberate past tense) was some drastic action. Believe me, people will simply fly over the burning earth etc than think “I’ve caused that”
I disagree. They need to keep people talking about it AND take drastic action. It isn't an either/or.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I disagree. They need to keep people talking about it AND take drastic action. It isn't an either/or.
You might disagree, but you’re entirely wrong about keep talking. The debate is over. It finished a long time ago. Drastic action is not a viable option, it requires an effort of such magnitude and coordination it’s pure fantasy. Moreover, the damage is done and irreversible. Everyone needs to stop hoping and start praying. The laters more realistic even for heathens! :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I did chuckle that nobody bounced the thread who’s been ‘supporting’ these criminal morons after the embarrassment of Lords. I’m blaming them for the defeat there too 😉

Feel really sorry for Katie and her opponent. Doing that at a crucial stage when these athletes are trying to feed their families. Utter embarrassment now.

Thankfully the majority of public have had enough. Another ambulance blocked the other day sadly too. 😞

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Now they're on to something. If they can stop two dull weeks of the world's most boring sport*, I'll think about joining.

Can we change the name to 'Just Stop Wimbledon'? Or to 'That'll teach you for messing with 'Pointless' & 'House of Games'?

* - Yes, Formula One, but that's not really a sport is it?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I’m not really sure what the aims of the protestors are and I’m not sure I care. The shift to renewable energy is being driven by new technologies and the economics of cheaper energy. A few wealthy kids getting on tv and building a protest cv is pretty irrelevant.
But they are not just 'wealthy kids' are they. Look at some of the videos and there are many later middle age people involved. I looked at one article which described those arrested and it contained a number of people who were retired ex-professional people e.g. a couple of medical doctors.

There is an issue with carbon based products , I am not sure that the use of lithium (and the mining for it) is necessarily a good thing but we need to ensure governments focus on this (carbon/global warming) and the protests keeps it in the public eye.

I agree the protestors have shot themselves in the foot a few times e.g. blocking ambulances but we should not forget that a suffragette getting killed at a sporting event helped focus the changes on votes for women.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not necessarily. The UK and some other countries are steadily doing their bit on consumption. Whilst Canada, Norway, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Qatar continue to churn out the stuff and bank $b’s.

View attachment 163118
and yet ironically the Norwegian government has been pushing electric cars (by using big subsidy incentives) maybe they don't understand that global warming is just that - global.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I did chuckle that nobody bounced the thread who’s been ‘supporting’ these criminal morons after the embarrassment of Lords. I’m blaming them for the defeat there too 😉

Feel really sorry for Katie and her opponent. Doing that at a crucial stage when these athletes are trying to feed their families. Utter embarrassment now.

The difference being the world's eyes are on Wimbledon, bo, whereas cricket is quite rightly a minority interest sport.
:)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
In my youth when more police were on patrol was often stopped when just walking home in the early hours and had to give an explanation of what I was up to etc.. Was always innocent and never had any objection to this taking place and still wouldn't Now I would think in all circumstances my son or daughter would have no objection to been stopped. They certainly would not be going on at me about human rights
In your previous post you mention how football fans are dealt with , searches, videoing and kettling etc, and that it was acceptable to you. The reality is that football fans are being treated differently to any major sport and yes you can say there was more trouble at football but the vast majority of fans didn't take part in trouble and the amount of trouble at football now is miniscule compared to the 70s and 80s. So pretty discriminatory and to be honest I have seen many incidents where the police either did nothing or actually contributed to the problem. The establishment identified Football as a target and the police were happy to 'police' it.

It very similar to hunt saboteurs who are trying to enforce the 2004 Hunting Act yet once again the Establishment always backs the Hunters.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
The TV cameras should not film their protests when they break the law, much like they used to do with football hooligans they would not film them.

Reactions: abc

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I assume you are being very sarcastic and rightly support the cause.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Thankfully the majority of public have had enough. Another ambulance blocked the other day sadly too. 😞
What they're publicing and refusing to accept is more important than tennis, driving to work (just driving actually), cricket and a good deal more too. I salute them for not just sitting back and accepting that we're f***ed. Yes it is a bit of an inconvenience when stuck on the M25 or when a dull tennis match is interupted, but far less inconvenient that the climate change we are all experiencing.

Whilst I agree with others here that it is likely all too late I don't see why these people are vilified for trying to force a discussion on the issue.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I assume you are being very sarcastic and rightly support the cause.
It’s not a question on support though now is it? Nobody in their right mind doesn’t support. But that’s not enough is it? You need to wake up, stop hoping and understand you cannot prevent. It’s already happening, look outside!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here