Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I was a union rep for a few years, never recommended going on the gate over wages as it just cost too much money - asking for 5% and getting offered 2% 25 years ago but a couple of strike days and it meant months of the 3% just to break even. Workers rights/supporting unfairly treated colleagues/ defending custom and practice all fair enough reasons
What are the other reasons for strikes you would point to that aren't justified?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
An odd take.

I've not seen a single individual protest designed to win people over.
I don't imagine the thought process was 'yeah hopefully they'll all walk home'.

It was probably something like 'lets get on the news and get more publicity'.

View attachment 161420
of course is it. however as a byproduct of that type of publicity is more people thinking they're a bunch of muppets.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Both of the criminals who entered the field today have prior convictions and have broken numerous injunctions. Multiple arrests per year, including earlier this month.

“Dr Patrick Hart is a GP based in Bristol. Here he is early yesterday morning (24th August 2022) damaging petrol pumps at Thurrock Services on the M25” (https://juststopoil.org/2022/08/25/the-good-doctor/)

In April 2022 he was part of a group which blocked Lambeth Bridge. This time he was claiming to represent Extinction Rebellion. (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-63676297.amp)

“On 3 September the Bristol GP Patrick Hart was arrested for supergluing his hands to a concrete planter outside the bank JP Morgan’s headquarters in Canary Wharf, London. (https://practicebusiness.co.uk/the-doctors-fighting-for-the-climate-is-it-a-professional-duty)

The second of the two protestors, Samuel Johnson (not a doctor this time, which would’ve been apt) also has numerous convictions.

A Suffolk climate activist has been charged in connection with a protest which saw him occupy a tunnel for 13 days. Samuel Johnson, 39, of Keens Lane, Reydon, is due to appear at Southend Magistrates' Court today after being charged with intentionally or recklessly causing a public nuisance and criminal damage.” (https://www.suffolknews.co.uk/south...-charged-in-connection-with-tunnel-p-9272484/)

Before today, his most recent arrest was in earlier this month, but he managed a few weeks without reoffending. ()

They are both now allegedly supporting Just Stop Oil for ethical reasons and have denied receiving payment for services rendered as “freelancers” previously.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
of course is it. however as a byproduct of that type of publicity is more people thinking they're a bunch of muppets.
They've done nothing to suggest they are even the slightest bit concerned, making them tough to love, even for those of us predisposed to do so.

It is yet another protest which will be indelibly marked on the conscious of their fans, their haters, and the ambivalent - which is exactly what they want.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The tackle at 0.15 was textbook whilst the one at 0.24 was a little lacking in finesse, but still did the job.

(For balance, the video is an official JSO one.)

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The problem is, as we’ve seen with other prolific petty criminals like shoplifters, addiction and mental illness issues play a huge part in reoffending. Whilst custodial sentences would be appropriate, the prisons are full, and they aren’t going to get treatment in prison anyway.

It’s just a mess.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The problem is, as we’ve seen with other prolific petty criminals like shoplifters, addiction and mental illness issues play a huge part in reoffending. Whilst custodial sentences would be appropriate, the prisons are full, and they aren’t going to get treatment in prison anyway.

It’s just a mess.
Strange the BMA haven’t struck the GP off for being a prolific petty criminal.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
The tackle at 0.15 was textbook whilst the one at 0.24 was a little lacking in finesse, but still did the job.

(For balance, the video is an official JSO one.)

If that video is from JSO's official yt channel then " comments turned off "suggests that they are fully aware of the contempt that the majority of the populace has for them

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that the BMA won't be striking off the doctor discussed.
How can you guarantee this? If he were to receive a conviction for common assault (throwing paint powder into people’s eyes) it would likely be custodial. At that point his position would be untenable.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that the BMA won't be striking off the doctor discussed.
Go on. The actions are bringing the medical profession into disrepute, albeit not treatment, and is tainting fellow healthcare professionals.

Interested to hear why you’re so confident.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Go on. The actions are bringing the medical profession into disrepute, albeit not treatment, and is tainting fellow healthcare professionals.

Interested to hear why you’re so confident.
Is it? Doctors have to treat patients with pollution caused illnesses.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
How can you guarantee this? If he were to receive a conviction for common assault (throwing paint powder into people’s eyes) it would likely be custodial. At that point his position would be untenable.
I can guarantee it by knowing something about what I'm talking about. The BMA is the British Medical Association. It's a union for doctors and is supposed to represent them (pretty crap at it in my opinion but that's nothing to do with it). It doesn't strike doctors off because it can't. The GMC (General Medical Council) is the body responsible for keeping a register of doctors with a license to practise in the UK. They might strike him off, although I suspect this is a battle they know is best avoided, but I might be wrong. They've made some very strange decisions in the past so who knows.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I can guarantee it by knowing something about what I'm talking about. The BMA is the British Medical Association. It's a union for doctors and is supposed to represent them (pretty crap at it in my opinion but that's nothing to do with it). It doesn't strike doctors off because it can't. The GMC (General Medical Council) is the body responsible for keeping a register of doctors with a license to practise in the UK. They might strike him off, although I suspect this is a battle they know is best avoided, but I might be wrong. They've made some very strange decisions in the past so who knows.
I never mentioned the BMA. You brought that up. Silly goose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here