Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
For what it’s worth, I don’t agree with a lot of JSO’s tactics.

But as I mentioned on here before, one of my favourite things is watching people be outraged.

I especially like all the hyperbole and catastrophising that comes with it.

The red faces, the huffing and puffing. The uncoordinated physical retaliations usually ending up with the outraged in a sweaty, embarrassed, pile on the floor.

Manna from heaven.

I could watch outraged people all day long.

I agree, I know I shouldn't but I find the pearl clutch and outrage on behalf of others rather amusing and entertaining. It's the main reason I read this thread. The inverted snobbery and massive assumptions alone are worth the entry fee.

By reading it I have also learned a little more about the subject. Perhaps their tactics aren't so pointless afterall?

Obviously I would prefer that the government do the right thing so these people didn't feel the need to disrupt our lives so heinously.

The most shocking in all of this is that neither side of politics seems willing to entertain the idea of stopping new oil licences. I wonder why that is?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But if I get to see some gammons getting all hot under the collar and acting like toddlers who have been told they aren’t getting jelly for pudding, I’m all for it 👍

Careful now. Just because people disagree with your view, doesn’t make them ‘gammons’ or ‘toddlers’. That’s a classic trait of the left in these situations - personal insults to people who don’t agree with their opinion in a debate… (and yes I’ve been personal to the JSO protestors but not to posters in a debate).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The tragic truth is that no one is talking about the environmental issues, they are grumbling about how irresponsible these people are and how the police should be given greater powers against protestors. So counterproductive that I want to bang my head against the wall in frustration. Get smarter! Meet the 'enemy' head on, don't just offer up a ton of fuel to destroy the campaign.

Maybe we should change the discussion around their actions? Make it into something more positive.

Amongst all the lazy assumptions, pearl clutch, outrage and insults on this thread are some interesting discussions about the climate, the government's decisions to licence new oil extractions and the opposition's complicity in not distancing themselves from this.

What I have noticed is that almost to a man we all agree with their cause. Most agree that oil should stay in the ground. Yet our anger is mainly directed at the protestors rather than the government who continue to do what we disagree with.

We all know the results of not taking action now will be far worse than a bit of a disruption to social and sporting events yet this is where we direct our focus and discussion.

People are strange.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Careful now. Just because people disagree with your view, doesn’t make them ‘gammons’ or ‘toddlers’. That’s a classic trait of the left in these situations - personal insults to people who don’t agree with their opinion in a debate… (and yes I’ve been personal to the JSO protestors but not to posters in a debate).
That’s not directed at any poster on this thread so your warnings aren’t needed. Who did I call a gammon on here? And I’m not on the left, so your assumptions are also not required .

I am centre right with a quick swerve to the left on some issues.

I refer of course to the gammons in tweed and Laura Ashley dresses who become mortally offended that a ghastly “normal person” has infiltrated their cosy world of High Tea and Vicars on bicycles to bring a bit of reality into their bucolic idyll.

A lovely day out ruined by the inconvenient truth.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The tragic truth is that no one is talking about the environmental issues, they are grumbling about how irresponsible these people are and how the police should be given greater powers against protestors. So counterproductive that I want to bang my head against the wall in frustration. Get smarter! Meet the 'enemy' head on, don't just offer up a ton of fuel to destroy the campaign.
How though? Blowing up oil refineries? Blockading them? That's only supported if it is to bring down the price of petrol.

Everything dine to stop the status quo is ridiculed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Oh now come on! That’s simply not on! Boooo! Darling, can’t you do something about them? Have them driven out of London or something?
IMG_9692.jpeg

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Maybe we should change the discussion around their actions? Make it into something more positive.

Amongst all the lazy assumptions, pearl clutch, outrage and insults on this thread are some interesting discussions about the climate, the government's decisions to licence new oil extractions and the opposition's complicity in not distancing themselves from this.

What I have noticed is that almost to a man we all agree with their cause. Most agree that oil should stay in the ground. Yet our anger is mainly directed at the protestors rather than the government who continue to do what we disagree with.

We all know the results of not taking action now will be far worse than a bit of a disruption to social and sporting events yet this is where we direct our focus and discussion.

People are strange.
I dont agree with their cause, i dont agree that oil should remain in the ground.
There are too many products made from oil that at the moment have no alternative.
Im all for reducing our reliance on oil where possible but certainly dont agree it should remain in the ground. Oil will always be needed for something..........until it runs out of course

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Of course they do 😂

Having said that, he does raise some valid points. Until countries have the infrastructure for alternative power sources, oil and gas will always be needed.

I do see an answer to that issue though.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
So you think its inevitable that humans will become extinct in the future because of climate change, and we should just relax and enjoy ourselves while we are here until then.
What sort of timescale do you think this might happen, and do you think that its not worth young people starting a family today as there lives will be Hell like?
No, I don’t think we’ll become extinct albeit billions will suffer, to varying degrees.

I do wish people would stop using future tense to describe climate change, it’s already here, accelerating and irreversible. Best stop pretending / hoping otherwise.

Choosing to spend time worrying, or enjoying, is everyone’s prerogative. I’m choosing latter because futility of former given we haven’t/cannot prevent. That is fact, not opinion.

If I was thinking of starting a family today, I probably would be influenced by. The world they’ll inherit as young adults will be undeniably different, and not in a good way. However, families aren’t necessarily planned. They just happen. Ask your parents for further information ;)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That’s not directed at any poster on this thread so your warnings aren’t needed. Who did I call a gammon on here? And I’m not on the left, so your assumptions are also not required .

I am centre right with a quick swerve to the left on some issues.

I refer of course to the gammons in tweed and Laura Ashley dresses who become mortally offended that a ghastly “normal person” has infiltrated their cosy world of High Tea and Vicars on bicycles to bring a bit of reality into their bucolic idyll.

A lovely day out ruined by the inconvenient truth.
Sorry if I read it wrong.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't think their strategy works in the sense that it will almost certainly fail to halt new oil and gas production. And it's unlikely to win them any converts. But in generating publicity they're onto a winner. And if it challenges people to think beyond what they hold dear and sacred and think about the bigger picture for a second, there is some merit in it. Possibly.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, I don’t think we’ll become extinct albeit billions will suffer, to varying degrees.

I do wish people would stop using future tense to describe climate change, it’s already here, accelerating and irreversible. Best stop pretending / hoping otherwise.

Choosing to spend time worrying, or enjoying, is everyone’s prerogative. I’m choosing latter because futility of former given we haven’t/cannot prevent. That is fact, not opinion.

If I was thinking of starting a family today, I probably would be influenced by. The world they’ll inherit as young adults will be undeniably different, and not in a good way. However, families aren’t necessarily planned. They just happen. Ask your parents for further information ;)
To the Winchester!

Pretty much my attitude to it, anyway.

The human race is absurd. We have willingly destroyed our own planet. That is simply farcical. We are not sustainable. We haven't been for thousands of years. In our bid to become richer, bigger, faster, stronger, we have taken ourselves out of the game. We took a planet that could sustain life, could nourish and nurture boundless species and environments and we drilled and drained and scorched and farmed it to the brink of total destruction. We blew it, folks. We blew the bloody lot.

It's absurd and darkly comical that the best thing humans can do to save earth is to die out. I only hope the earth recovers once we are gone and species can thrive, rivers can flow clean and oceans can sustain life again. And for the sake of earth, I am glad humans won't be there to see it. We f***ed it.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I don't think their strategy works in the sense that it will almost certainly fail to halt new oil and gas production. And it's unlikely to win them any converts. But in generating publicity they're onto a winner. And if it challenges people to think beyond what they hold dear and sacred and think about the bigger picture for a second, there is some merit in it. Possibly.
Does the publicity achieve anything, really? It’s not like a single person on earth isn’t abundantly aware of climate change and fossil fuels role-in. Instead, what’s lacked is leadership, radical action and expediency. JSO are a complete failure in this regard too. Far too little, way too late. They’ve proved unable to influence change on the (monumental) scale needed. Fair play to ‘em for trying though.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
To the Winchester!

The human race is absurd. We have willingly destroyed our own planet. That is simply farcical. We are not sustainable. We haven't been for thousands of years. In our bid to become richer, bigger, faster, stronger, we have taken ourselves out of the game. We took a planet that could sustain life, could nourish and nurture boundless species and environments and we drilled and drained and scorched and farmed it to the brink of total destruction. We blew it, folks. We blew the bloody lot.

It's absurd and darkly comical that the best thing humans can do to save earth is to die out. I only hope the earth recovers once we are gone and species can thrive, rivers can flow clean and oceans can sustain life again. And for the sake of earth, I am glad humans won't be there to see it. We f***ed it.
This this and this again. Sadly. Mines a lager… :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
To the Winchester!

I couldn't help but consider this when doing a guided indigenous walk yesterday.

Fascinating how they used their creation stories, values and general belief systems to create a society that was both the carers of their natural world and importantly part of it.

We could have learned a lot. ,

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This issue is echo chamber silliness to the nth degree.

You’ve got the same five or six people liking every “pro” post, the same with the antis, and nobody listening to each other.

I am reminded strongly of Corbyn’s election campaign. There are an enormous number of parallels. You’ve got the right wing calling him a dangerous criminal, you’ve got the left wing absolutely convinced he would win and shouting down anyone who says otherwise.

The bigger picture is to take a look at what the wider public are saying.

36% find Just Stop Oil “very unfavourable” compared to 4% who find them “very favourable”.

You could also take a look at all of their social media, where the highest positive ratio’d posts and replies are critical of their methods, actions and public perception.

Confronted with these facts, supporters go into siege mentality (just as with Corbyn) - namely by saying in as many words and often outright “well everyone who disagrees with us are idiots”.

Which, as I’ve said a million times, doesn’t win hearts and minds.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I guess it would be good for mother Earth to lose a few billion people due to this issue. The people left might change their ways to not allow it again.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This issue is echo chamber silliness to the nth degree.

You’ve got the same five or six people liking every “pro” post, the same with the antis, and nobody listening to each other.

I am reminded strongly of Corbyn’s election campaign. There are an enormous number of parallels. You’ve got the right wing calling him a dangerous criminal, you’ve got the left wing absolutely convinced he would win and shouting down anyone who says otherwise.

The bigger picture is to take a look at what the wider public are saying.

36% find Just Stop Oil “very unfavourable” compared to 4% who find them “very favourable”.

You could also take a look at all of their social media, where the highest positive ratio’d posts and replies are critical of their methods, actions and public perception.

Confronted with these facts, supporters go into siege mentality (just as with Corbyn) - namely by saying in as many words and often outright “well everyone who disagrees with us are idiots”.

Which, as I’ve said a million times, doesn’t win hearts and minds.
I don’t think anyone deep down believes JSO will save the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here