Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The UK still has the presidency of COP26. COP26 recognised that we cannot allow temperatures to raise by more than 1.5 degrees. Yet by allowing new oil and gas fields to be exploited we will exceed that limit (according to the UK government's own advisors). Hence, the UK is undermining its own COP26 commitments, whilst it is the actual President of COP26! I'm not saying China automatically takes a lead from the UK, but how on earth can we persuade China to commit to fossil fuel reduction if we won't? So, what we do in the UK (especially given our leadership position) is critically important.
The UK government not abiding by its own rules??

I'm finding this very difficult to believe.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As long as I have my health, good friends, and can take nice walks in the sun feeling the smell of flowers or summer rain, I'll be just fine. I dont need stuff.

Can you feel a smell?

Actually, the morning after a few pints and a vindaloo!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think we are missing the point here.

How are the victims of this attack?

Those lost and bewildered souls who had to drive to the next service station?

Mrs Iona Tacklebrush (Limpsfield Chart) was heard to mutter "well I suppose I'll have to go to the next one, I hope there is enough in reserve, I'm running on fumes here".

Did she make it?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Is it really a good idea to show your opposition to nazism by adopting their policies? Smashing up the possessions of people you don't like is one of the things nazis were known for. Implicit approval of their actions surely can't be good.

It reminds me of an anti-Nazi league rally a fair few years ago. On of its aims (without irony) was to march on BNP headquarters and burn the books they didn't agree with.

So let's go back to WW2 do you decide not to fight or do you make the decision that the NAZIS were wrong/bad/evil and you have to do anything to beat them and that sometimes means getting down to their level in order to succeed.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So let's go back to WW2 do you decide not to fight or do you make the decision that the NAZIS were wrong/bad/evil and you have to do anything to beat them and that sometimes means getting down to their level in order to succeed.
The Allies elected NOT to get down to the Nazis' level. They chose to abide by the Geneva Convention.

Implying that the Allies were as bad as the Nazis, simply because they fought back, is ridiculous.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I fully agree with the protestors beliefs, but unlike those before them they are very lazily and unimaginatively pissing off the very people who need their support - the general public.

A few days ago, extinction rebellion blocked off Westminster Bridge.

I love a bit of public protest, but that bridge is right outside St Thomas's Hospital including it's Accident and Emergency entrance.

They spent the entire day banging drums. I was inside that hospital all day with a very ill relative in a high dependency unit and you might as well have had builders in the room opposite.

Rather then worrying about climate change, all the very ill and mostly elderly patients in that ward that day were worrying about was how they were going to sleep.

I used to very supportive of this groups protests, but after that experience I've changed my mind, if not of course about the issues.

They have lost my total support and next time I see them in the local area (which they are often) I will approach them and tell them.

If you are going to block a road and make a total racket outside a major London hospital you are a moron and an indefensible one at.

At the end of the day, those campaigning about climate change are concerned about the quality and dignity of life and fairness.

On that day they failed.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Well, more and more people are putting electricity in their car, rather than petrol or diesel. But the objective of Just Stop Oil is not to stop people putting petrol in their cars, it's to stop further exploitation of new oil and gas. If the government acted on its own advice, organisations like Just Stop Oil wouldn't need to exist.

without the exsise and duty on petrol the govt. would collapse within days. i hear you though but i do think that a little island like Britain can't really do an awful lot on a global scale , "emerging and developing countries" are still searching for coal,oil and gas and if and when it is found it will be utilised , India will have an insatiable need for coal and oil over the coming decades and is currently taking up oil from Russia that is not being taken by Europe .

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The UK still has the presidency of COP26. COP26 recognised that we cannot allow temperatures to raise by more than 1.5 degrees. Yet by allowing new oil and gas fields to be exploited we will exceed that limit (according to the UK government's own advisors). Hence, the UK is undermining its own COP26 commitments, whilst it is the actual President of COP26! I'm not saying China automatically takes a lead from the UK, but how on earth can we persuade China to commit to fossil fuel reduction if we won't? So, what we do in the UK (especially given our leadership position) is critically important.

China , on paper , have committed to massive reductions in emissions , India haven't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I fully agree with the protestors beliefs, but unlike those before them they are very lazily and unimaginatively pissing off the very people who need their support - the general public.

A few days ago, extinction rebellion blocked off Westminster Bridge.

I love a bit of public protest, but that bridge is right outside St Thomas's Hospital including it's Accident and Emergency entrance.

They spent the entire day banging drums. I was inside that hospital all day with a very ill relative in a high dependency unit and you might as well have had builders in the room opposite.

Rather then worrying about climate change, all the very ill and mostly elderly patients in that ward that day were worrying about was how they were going to sleep.

I used to very supportive of this groups protests, but after that experience I've changed my mind, if not of course about the issues.

They have lost my total support and next time I see them in the local area (which they are often) I will approach them and tell them.

If you are going to block a road and make a total racket outside a major London hospital you are a moron and an indefensible one at.

At the end of the day, those campaigning about climate change are concerned about the quality and dignity of life and fairness.

On that day they failed.

Sorry to hear that. Think this is it in a nutshell for the majority though - at least partly onside with their philosophy and motives, but absolutely not with many of their tactics ? Surely one of the aims of any protest if to gain public support…..stuff like this does the opposite.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The Allies elected NOT to get down to the Nazis' level. They chose to abide by the Geneva Convention.

Implying that the Allies were as bad as the Nazis, simply because they fought back, is ridiculous.

Look at the allied bombing campaign of German cities especially the attack on Dresden and you might see different.

Also the majority of the crucial land based fighting was done by our Russian allies and if you think they followed the Geneva Convention then you are misguided.

The point though is that to make change you need to raise issues , when you have no means to raise those issues other than direct action you have to make a choice . 'Just stop oil' are taking a stand because the government are not acting quick enough and that's not just an attack on the Tories as the climate issue is not new.

Personally i prefer evolution to revolution but I can see there are times why people feel the need to take more action than just words.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Look at the allied bombing campaign of German cities especially the attack on Dresden and you might see different.

Also the majority of the crucial land based fighting was done by our Russian allies and if you think they followed the Geneva Convention then you are misguided.

The point though is that to make change you need to raise issues , when you have no means to raise those issues other than direct action you have to make a choice . 'Just stop oil' are taking a stand because the government are not acting quick enough and that's not just an attack on the Tories as the climate issue is not new.

Personally i prefer evolution to revolution but I can see there are times why people feel the need to take more action than just words.

The problem with direct action/revolutionary change is that the action being taken may not represent the majority view. I don’t have the answers but in this particular case (climate) I think that the inconvenience is minor compared to the impact of the point being made so it’s not really any threat and adds to rather than detracts from our democratic process.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The problem with direct action/revolutionary change is that the action being taken may not represent the majority view. I don’t have the answers but in this particular case (climate) I think that the inconvenience is minor compared to the impact of the point being made so it’s not really any threat and adds to rather than detracts from our democratic process.

This is certainly the case and was true for the Tolpuddle Martyrs, Suffragettes and many other people who seek change and are ahead of the accepted (majority) approach.

Like you I don't have the answer to problem but we could all help by driving less, insulating our homes better, chosing power suppliers who have a focus on green energy, eating less meat and telling our elected representatives we want them to do more about climate change.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

As individuals what have we committed ourselves to?

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
You have petrol powered buses in Sweden ?

http://ri.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:962912/FULLTEXT01.pdf

Here are the figures for between 2005 and 2013, it seems that the annual average across those years was that 0.73% of the (combustion engined) buses on the road had a fire incident.

With a bus fleet of just over 13,500 for those years, that translates to a smidge under 100 bus fires a year.

In the period before that, (1996 to 2004) there were 122 fires a year (average) across that period. That figure is believed to be roughly equivalent to 1% of the buses in service at the time having a fire incident per year. It seems that with time, the designs improve.

A quick glance at figure 5 in the research shows that the combustion engine was by far the highest cause of fire in these cases.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here