Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just emailed this to the football league

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
OK, my thoughts.

For me, not violent conduct. The key for me is where he is looking as the Brighton defender goes towards him. His eyes are following the flight of the ball all the time. That takes 'violent conduct' out of the equation IMHO. If he has had a look to see where the defender is, it looks a lot more suspicious.
So no red card on that count.

Next question. He has led with the elbow. Not clever.
Was it careless? Most definitely. Was it reckless? Very probably. Was it using excessive force? Not for me. (Those are the definitions of 'severity' as laid down in the Laws of the game and carry a sanction of no action, caution, straight red respectively.)
So IMO, a yellow was right.

That said, he should have walked anyway as I felt the Ankergren incident was worthy of a caution and he got away with it.

Just my opinion, everyone else is of course entitled to theirs.

If, as you said earlier, you are a ref that statement just emphasises the facts as to why the standard of reffing is so bad and getting worse.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Having just watched the game on Sky+, my thoughts are:

Running into Casper: Would have been harsh to send him off although I suspect Symes knew what he was doing.

Elbow into Elphick: Should have gone.

Penalty: Might have been Elphick (the ref was in a very good position to judge this) but never in a million years in the box.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Get over it...It was a horrific decision, but not as bad as our "phantom goal" at Bristol City last season.

These things happen, you're best of trying to forget it and start supporting your team properly.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Imagine if we miss promotion by two points.

Could well happen. And don't forget Bournemouth got a point they wouldn't have otherwise had... meaning some other team may pay the consequence at the end of the season.

Imagine if Bournemouth beat us to promotion or the play-offs by three points (or less)...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
OK, my thoughts.

For me, not violent conduct. The key for me is where he is looking as the Brighton defender goes towards him. His eyes are following the flight of the ball all the time. That takes 'violent conduct' out of the equation IMHO. If he has had a look to see where the defender is, it looks a lot more suspicious.

Next question. He has led with the elbow. Not clever.
Was it careless? Most definitely. Was it reckless? Very probably. Was it using excessive force? Not for me. (Those are the definitions of 'severity' as laid down in the Laws of the game and carry a sanction of no action, caution, straight red respectively.)
So IMO, a yellow was right.

I think that is an absurd conclusion. IMHO yes he was following the flight of the ball with his eyes but he was aware that a defender would be behind trying to win the ball in the air. If he isnt he shouldnt be playing professional football so yes it was a calculated elbow as he knew he would connect with soembody so it was vioent conduct. So a Red was the only possible answer.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Hello

Just wanted to express my anger at the incompetence of the referee and lineman who were in charge of the Brighton v Bournemouth match. I have
no doubt that you will come up with some excuse to defend the officials but they really do give the football league and the name of football a bad name.
Perhaps you should watch the incident in the 90th minute and explain to me how the lineman can give a penalty when he's 5-10 yards out of line !

When the referee blows for a free kick he then quickly moves himself level with the penalty area but unfortunately its about 20 seconds too late to be inline to make sure that the ball wasn't in the penalty area in the first place.

If I was that incompetent in doing my job, and I know officials get paid a good wage for doing this job, I would be sacked.

Perhaps a demotion to the lower levels of non league and a stern warning that if he decides that he wants to be famous by giving incorrect and totally outrageous decisions he will stay at this level and never get the chance to embarrass himself on national television again.

It would be good to read what the assessor said about these officials but I doubt that we will ever know the reason why. It will just be forgotten about, but maybe you should wonder why officials get abuse when they behave like this and give decisions which completely defy belief. Your RESPECT campaign works both ways does it not?

regards

Not impressed tbh , nothing they won't change anything.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Having just watched the game on Sky+, my thoughts are:

Running into Casper: Would have been harsh to send him off although I suspect Symes knew what he was doing.

Elbow into Elphick: Should have gone.

Penalty: Might have been Elphick (the ref was in a very good position to judge this) but never in a million years in the box.

I think we've worked all that out there and then !!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Dear Sir,

Are the match officials from The Brighton Bournemouth game available early November? It’s my son’s birthday and I need some clowns.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
OK, my thoughts.

Just shows why referring standard are so shit at the moment.

So if a player doesn't look at the player he plants an elbow on, then he can never of meant it?? Take violent conduct out of the equation??

Are you f***ing serious??

I have to admit, I have very little time for refs, and this is the reason why? They are coming into the game younger and younger, none of them played the game, and so are quite cluless on what players can do, as the comment above suggests.

Well, just for your infrmation for the next unfortunate 22 players that get you in the next game, if a striker goes up to head the ball, its probably about a 95% certainty that a defender is tight up his back, so without having to look at him, the striker can be fairly certain where the defenders head is.

And if you take your eyes out of your arse hole for a minute, you would have seen that yesterdays "assult" you will have seen that the striker had his arm across Elphick as the ball came into them, so knew totally what he was doing and where the defender was, as he had his arm across him.

FFS if you only think a striker can deliberty strike a player with an elbow if he looks a him first, and if he doesn't turn to look at him, that it "takes 'violent conduct' out of the equation" , then you should seriously consider never referring a match again, because you are a major danger to the players if you have views like that.

It just goes to prove, how clueless referees can be when one of them write a comment like that.:tantrum: I've seen players get seriosuly hurt over the ears, because refs like you didn't have the common sense to see what had been going on, and didn't stamp it out.

Seriosuly,for players safety, please consider retiring from refereeing if thats your view, before you indirectly cause someone a serious injury.

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
yes. here goes.

Many thanks for your email. We often receive numerous queries and complaints regarding individual referee's decisions and their overall performances. Although we are usually unable to respond on each individual incident, we can advise that the performances of all officials are constantly monitored by way of club and assessor reports, the match video or DVD and, at some grounds, the Prozone statistics. The match is also analysed by the Referees' Manager, a referees’ coach and the referee and, despite the perception of some, match officials are most accountable for their performance.

Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) has reviewed several key incidents in the match you refer to and these will be analysed thoroughly by the referee, the assistant referee and their respective coaches. Referees will make errors of judgement in a match in the same way that players do. They make their decision based on years of training and experience and what they see at that moment in time, from a position different from anyone else in the ground - he can only act on what he sees, assisted by the other match officials and not everyone will agree with the decisions he takes.

Contrary to expectations, the Referees' Manager will not attempt to support a referee out of sheer loyalty. It is his responsibility through Professional Game Match Officials to identify training needs of not only individual referees but also of all National Group officials. The Manager also works with his group in a bid to constantly improve standards in a game which has become faster and more frenetic over recent years. Every match is recorded and referees are under closer scrutiny than ever before.

We have noted your comments and will forward them to the referees department for their attention. We trust that some of this reply at least highlights to you the procedures in place designed to improve performances and we thank you for contacting us with your comments.

Regards,

Andrew Pomfret

Customer Services Officer

The Football League Limited
Email - enquiries@football-league.co.uk

The Football League - LATEST NEWS, FIXTURES, RESULTS AND TABLES | OFFICIAL SITE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here