Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just Back From Transformers - WOW!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've seen it twice. Switch your brain off and enjoy it. (I wouldn't call the nad scene hilarious, but worth a chuckle)

Not sure it'll stick with you long after watching, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it, US.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
just got back from £8 luxury (to me) seats at the Odeon, SpecialFX stuff was wicked and the sound was really cool too...only wish the decent seat were actually in the center of the theatre so you could get the full surround effect but alas they are at the back which sucked....ANYWAY the film had a decent enough storyline for my liking, plenty of Foxxs cleavage shots which is always nice and plenty of laughs too. Better than the first film by a long shot IMO and worth a visit.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
CNN -- "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" -- the most terrible revenge since Montezuma's -- is louder, longer and lamer than the 2007 hit it succeeds.

Which is saying a lot.

Long story short: The Decepticons are back, fixed on destroying Sam (Shia LaBeouf), Optimus Prime and the Earth, in that order.

Produced by Hasbro -- the accompanying trailer for "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" suggests that the company's not-exactly-subtle strategy is to mass market war toys for boys -- "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is a grotesque exercise in hyperinflation. At 149 minutes, it's longer than "2001," "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" or "Star Wars." In fact, this may be the emptiest epic ever made.

Director Michael Bay is famous for blowing things up, but you could invade a small country with less firepower than he expends on this extended-length commercial.

For all his sound and fury, Bay isn't much of an action director. There's no rhythm in his slam-bang cutting, no discipline in his orientation, and there's so little to distinguish an Autobot (the good Transformers) from a Decepticon (the bad) that at any given moment, it's a toss-up who is pulverizing who.

Both Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox run away a lot in new "Transformers" -- she in slow motion.

etc.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Went last night. I've never heard booing in an English cinema after a film has finished before.......I have now.

Gotta be one of the biggest turkey's of all time.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don't know Dwayne but I think a large proportion of the audience would have been force fed the terrible reviews by people like Kermode and the broadsheets and do not look at it without prejudice. Its as thought they think the critics say this is awful and then play along with that without looking at it objectively. On midb it is presently showing an average 7.5 with 47% of people voting giving it 10 out of 10.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
imdb voting

Votes Percentage Rating
1,996 45.6% 10
477 10.9% 9
460 10.5% 8
407 9.3% 7
254 5.8% 6
160 3.7% 5
109 2.5% 4
82 1.9% 3
88 2.0% 2
348 7.9% 1

Arithmetic mean = 7.8. Median = 9

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
imdb voting

Votes Percentage Rating
1,996 45.6% 10
477 10.9% 9
460 10.5% 8
407 9.3% 7
254 5.8% 6
160 3.7% 5
109 2.5% 4
82 1.9% 3
88 2.0% 2
348 7.9% 1

Arithmetic mean = 7.8. Median = 9

Uncle, don't worry about statistics or reviews, just go and see it and shut up FFS !

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
On midb it is presently showing an average 7.5 with 47% of people voting giving it 10 out of 10.
And those people who did were probably no older than EIGHT.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I can give that to you clever arse Colin. Lets see if you are right. Although of course it is going to appeal more to younger people.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Uncle, don't worry about statistics or reviews, just go and see it and shut up FFS !

Just responding to Dwayne's assessment. Anyway I don't think I can be arsed to see it now.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No under 8 category but under 18 if that ok with you Colin.

Votes Average
Males 3,864 7.5
Females 374 7.9
Aged under 18 352 8.7
Males under 18 292 8.6
Females under 18 60 9.1
Aged 18-29 3,178 7.6
Males Aged 18-29 2,916 7.6
Females Aged 18-29 257 7.8
Aged 30-44 628 6.9
Males Aged 30-44 579 6.8
Females Aged 30-44 45 7.5
Aged 45+ 79 6.2
Males Aged 45+ 69 6.2
Females Aged 45+ 10 6.4
Top 1000 voters 10 5.8
US users 610 7.6
Non-US users 3,630 7.5

IMDb users 4,381 7.5

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Lermode will probably slate it this afternoon of tha I am sure as he is a pompous up his own arse prick.

Couldn't DISAGREE with you more...Kermode is just about the best critic around and far more 'of the people' than your remarks suggest. Don't agree with all his tastes or opinions but he gives a good summary and he is fair enough to emphasise when he has a negative bias about a brainless script.

As for Transformers 2, I can't comment but thought the first was ok(ish). There's no excuse for a bad script....the Yanks have large resources and the pick of decent script-writers for action movies and the like. All you desribed above about non-Oscar performances and set pieces are fair enough but you have to admit the narrative and dialogue for almost all U.S action films are utter, utter shit!

Action is down there with Horror as the weakest genre at the mo'.....I find my mind wandering during the big scenes....that can't be good!

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Lermode will probably slate it this afternoon of tha I am sure as he is a pompous up his own arse prick , much like most movie critics.

....yet you keep checking Kermode's (and their) opinion(s).

I don't really give a shit what Kermode thinks and will watch is glee and amusement when it notches up over $ 600 000 000 at the box office just to piss him off.

Ditto

The general concensus of the reviews I have read is that the film is COMPLETE SHIT HOUSE. I am very dissapointed by this as I was looking forward to this film more than any of the Summer blockbusters. Some people call it the worst film of all time.

I do not think I will bother going now and may watch it when it comes out of dvd but this sort of film needs to be seen on a big screen.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On midb it is presently showing an average 7.5 with 47% of people voting giving it 10 out of 10.

does that represent the quality of the film or the quality of the "reviewers". after all to give it 10/10 from a balanced, seasoned cinema goer would imply one of the best films ever. you dont need to see it to know that simply isnt going to be true and the mix reaction suggests it will be average at best (suits some tastes but not all). i really dont think people will boo a film just because a critic slated it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Michael Bay's perfect response to the crtics.

“Transformers” -- A $201.2-million Smash In 5-day Opening
28 June 2009 11:10 AM, PDT

Paramount's Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen came within inches -- well, $2.6 million -- of overtaking last year’s The Dark Night as the film with the best 5-day opening of all time. According to studio estimates, it grossed $201.2 million versus $203.8 for Warner Bros.’ Knight. The figure included estimated results for Sunday, therefore final actual ticket sales, to be released on Monday, could push the total past Knight’s record mark. Then again, the Los Angeles Times reported that some competing studios estimated that the total will come in closer to $197-199 million. The newspaper said that Paramount spent about $200 million to produce the film and $150-175 million on worldwide marketing and distribution. IMAX, which has been expanding its giant-screen venues (some critics contend that the size of the newer screens is being misrepresented), contributed $14.4 million to the gross. Although IMAX theaters accounted for less than 4 percent of those screening the movie, they nevertheless produced 7.2 percent of the estimated gross.

The Transformers sequel performed nearly as impressively overseas, raking in $162 million in 58 countries, including $21.9 million in China, setting a record for an English-language film in that country.

Few analysts thought the movie would make such an explosive debut, although virtually all expressed certainty that it would dominate the box office. Several predicted that after its sensational opening on Wednesday that it would be brought down by negative word-of-mouth that would echo the caustic reviews of the major critics. That failed to materialize, and instead the film produced solid results each day.

Warner Bros./New Line attempted to counter-program Knight with the female-oriented My Sister’s Keeper, but showed little success in doing so. The film opened with an estimated $12 million to place third. It had been expected to earn $15-20 million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here