Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from the match...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well done to the 150 or so who travelled, especially to watch that excuse for a football match. When we get towards the end of the season and look at this seasons scores we'll think that 0-0 at Swansea was a good result, but we were shocking, really poor.

Don't get me wrong, I admire Deano, he is a likeable fellow who would do anything for this club but the players don't seem to improve from week to week. We had nearly a full first choice team out today, against a depleated Swansea team who were there for a beating but somthing is seriously wrong with the way we are approaching matches. Is it fear of losing? lack of belief in our ability? or just bad coaching. We were always on the back foot, reacting to Swansea rather than showing movement and our own attacking flair.

Anyway the game was basically Swansea attack, with us repelling the attacks. We had one cross-shot which hit the crossbar and a couple of corners and that was about it.

Kuipers 6 a few good saves and a few dodgy kicks.
Whing 6 composed in the main poor distribution
Elphick 6 good blocks solid enough
Butters 7 led the defence good positionally
Richards 5 beaten too regularly by the Swansea attack, I'd put El-Abd back in
Savage 6 didn't have many chances to shine, needs the ball played to feet
O'Callaghan 5 not his best performance, the game seemed to by pass him
Hammond 6 as with O'Callaghan not at his best, lacking confidence?
Cox 6 our most effective attacking option first half, anonymous second half
Revell 5 no ball to play with
Forster 5 no ball, spent most of his time on the pitch looking miserable

At least Wales lost at rugby!:ascarf:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wilkins on the radio thought it was a great performance

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Heard the first half on the radio, it came over as if we were getting a good share of play,your comments put the matter straight

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
Heard the first half on the radio, it came over as if we were getting a good share of play,your comments put the matter straight

We were getting a good share of the play in the first half and we had more opportunities to score than they did. The report on BBC Wales upheld this view.
It was a frustrating performance in so much that we didn't play well but Swansea played worse - their shooting was terrible.
Dean Wilkins made a guest appearance on the touchline second half and Joel Lynch spent the whole match "on the terraces" with the away support.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Good of Dean to get his hands dirty at the dug outs instead of hob nobbing with the directors

This from the BBC Sport website;

"
Swansea 0-0 Brighton
Swansea's Jason Scotland tangles with Brighton's Andrew Whing
Swansea's forwards were kept in check by Brighton's defence
Swansea's disappointing home form continued as Brighton held out for a deserved draw at the Liberty Stadium.

The visitors created the best chances of a subdued first-half, with Nicky Forster bringing the best out of home goalkeeper Dorus De Vires.

Swansea improved after the break but a lack of cutting edge up front meant many promising attacks came to nothing.

Brighton almost snatched a last-minute winner but Bas Savage's bending left-foot effort hit the crossbar."

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
Well done to the 150 or so who travelled, especially to watch that excuse for a football match. When we get towards the end of the season and look at this seasons scores we'll think that 0-0 at Swansea was a good result, but we were shocking, really poor.

Don't get me wrong, I admire Deano, he is a likeable fellow who would do anything for this club but the players don't seem to improve from week to week. We had nearly a full first choice team out today, against a depleated Swansea team who were there for a beating but somthing is seriously wrong with the way we are approaching matches. Is it fear of losing? lack of belief in our ability? or just bad coaching. We were always on the back foot, reacting to Swansea rather than showing movement and our own attacking flair.

Anyway the game was basically Swansea attack, with us repelling the attacks. We had one cross-shot which hit the crossbar and a couple of corners and that was about it.

Kuipers 6 a few good saves and a few dodgy kicks.
Whing 6 composed in the main poor distribution
Elphick 6 good blocks solid enough
Butters 7 led the defence good positionally
Richards 5 beaten too regularly by the Swansea attack, I'd put El-Abd back in
Savage 6 didn't have many chances to shine, needs the ball played to feet
O'Callaghan 5 not his best performance, the game seemed to by pass him
Hammond 6 as with O'Callaghan not at his best, lacking confidence?
Cox 6 our most effective attacking option first half, anonymous second half
Revell 5 no ball to play with
Forster 5 no ball, spent most of his time on the pitch looking miserable

At least Wales lost at rugby!:ascarf:

According to swansea there was 280 travelling fans, great point though:ascarf:

I didn't know he was from Barca, but I actually said to my dad what a good player he looked. He played left-wing, and was very skilful and quick. Put in some decent crosses too. What the hell is he doing at Swansea?

He's one of the Barca B team that Frank wanted to get 1st team football elsewhere this season. Their manager is Spanish and must have somehow convinced them that Swansea was a good team.

He can play at LB too so i'm abit surprised to see we didn't go for him :lol:

kjgoodall

Jan 5, 2006
Another View

Just back from the game. I saw the match from a different angle than other seagulls fans (from the directors box no less).

There were 282 travelling fans to be exact in the away supporters end, plus several others like me dotted around the ground.

I thought overall it was quite a poor game football wise. We were certainly set up to 'spoil' and play for a draw. How we didnt get several yellow cards for timewasting, as we did it right from the start.

Swansea came at us straight from the kickoff and looked threatening for the first ten minutes after that we settled and in fact should have scored quite an easy chance from a cross.

Bas Savage played on the right wing and to me looked totally lost out there and really didnt appear to put that much effort in to me.

Remainder of the first half was quite even with Brighton perhaps 'just' having the better chances, Just!

Second half they came at us and really should have scored at least one although their finishing was bad. The on loan spaniard looked good but then faded badly, as did Cox.

Wilkins was in the dugout but didnt seem to have much input as to what was happening on the pitch, it was dean white who seemed to be doing all the directing.

Savage in my view should have been subbed halfway throught he second half as to me he looked disinterested however he did do well to get an effort in with 4 minutes to go that hit the bar.

Forster was subbed, a few minutes earlier he was arguing with the bench and really looked unhappy/fed up.

At the end of the day we got the point that we obviously came to get, but it was obvious , theres no way playing like that, that we are good enough to make a challange to be anywhere near the top of the table, i hope i'm wrong but i dont think so.

There was also a lack of director support as well only Dick Knight and Ken Brown were there or in the boardroom anyway.

I suppose a point away at Swansea is a good result but the way we got it was awful to be honest.

Finally if Falmer is as good as the liberty stadium both on the playing side and behind the scenes, then we will have a brilliant place to go and support 'The Seagulls'

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
how that remained goalless i don't know - they had so many shots cleared well b the defence or off the posts and we had a couple of fantastic chances off the bar

probably bar Millwall the best i've seen us play and i just feel starting with Jake,Hammond,O' Callaghan, Coxy , Revell and Elder bringing on Martot and Savage later in the game will give such a strong attacking threat

and although he is often mocked i though Loft played alright when he came on today - nothing spectacular but a decent little performance!

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
It was a ok performance, against a side who will be up there. Come the end of the season. I thought we could have stolen the three points, but I thought a point was more deservable. I'm still trying to work out how Forster, hit the ball at point blank range at the keeper from about four yards out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here