Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from the game

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We're still a long way from the finished article, but today was one of those real heroic performances where, despite the opposition cheating and the ref being very much a "homer", we came away with a very creditable point.

The Virgo sending off incident was right in front of me, and their man (Hughes) made a complete meal of Virgo's challenge with the sole intention of getting Virgs sent off. OK, it was a touch late, but the contact was actually fairly minimal. It was galling in the extreme to watch Hughes writhing around in feigned agony, just long enough to ensure the ref showed Virgo the second yellow. To be honest, I was very unimpressed with Rovers' general attempts to play to the ref all the time, with their toss-pot of a manager in hysterics every time we tackled one of their players.

To secure a point in those circumstances was a fantastic effort, with Tunnicliffe and Elphick in particular doing a great job. I'd also pick out Dicker and Forster - the latter's great shot led to the corner from which we scored (storming header by Tunnicliffe). Forster was also very unlucky to be given off-side shortly afterwards when he was about to storm through on goal.

Rovers are a decent side, and their movement upfront was definitely superior to ours - Kuffour and Dickson make a good partnership, and much as I tried not to admire him, Hughes was at the heart of much of Rovers' best play.

Towards the end we got lucky on a few occasions, with Rovers firstly hitting the post, then missing an absolute sitter at the back post with Kuipers stranded.

Wright came on in the second half, with El Abd reverting to right back - and to be honest looked rather dodgy. Harty and Cox also made appearances, but neither had enough time to make a real impact. It was one of those games where the sending off meant the balance of the game was completely changed, with one team having little option but to defend in depth.

All in all, a very good point.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Thank you so much for an informed, bitter-free match report. So sick of all this bollocks people are spouting, clearly trying to satisfy their anti-Slade agendas. League positions don't mean a great deal after less than 10 games, is that so hard to understand?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Wahay! A good message. Congratulations to that man!

Now lets wait til midweek and hope for lots of draws so we can leap above everyone when we beat MK next week.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
i dont understand that why after todays game some people still want slade out ? .
we just got a point against a team that are doing very good and are 3rd in the league .
people on here need to get a grip and realise that slade is actually doing very good with the team , 3 draws , 2 wins , and and 5 losses but one of those lose's we got robbed last week against southend , so give it time and we will be fighting for play-offs ,
give slade time !

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
I agree with Jim - as always a balanced view. I was proud of the team today. Kuipers was commanding and Elphick played like we know he can. I was disappointed with Virgo - he does seem to walk into these situations. I thought Rovers were a very good side and moved the ball well - lots more movement and they seemed to think more quickly than us. However, we scored a good goal and I was disappointed that they equalised. I wish the team would play with this passion and commitment at Withdean. We would then climb the table with ease.

Well done to all - great support from our fans as well.

:albion2:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thank you so much for an informed, bitter-free match report. So sick of all this bollocks people are spouting, clearly trying to satisfy their anti-Slade agendas. League positions don't mean a great deal after less than 10 games, is that so hard to understand?

:bowdown::thumbsup: Spot on.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
i dont understand that why after todays game some people still want slade out ? .
we just got a point against a team that are doing very good and are 3rd in the league .
people on here need to get a grip and realise that slade is actually doing very good with the team , 3 draws , 2 wins , and and 5 losses but one of those lose's we got robbed last week against southend , so give it time and we will be fighting for play-offs ,
give slade time !

I suppose it is down to the fact most people will only see the home games and our home form has been somewhat iffy. Still a bit short-sighted. I am very much in the Slade in camp. I think he will see us right.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
As long as we finish 5th from bottom or higher i couldn't care less until Falmer is complete then i expect and rightly so i believe that we win the title the following year and are in teh champions league within 5 years. Fair enough i take it we all agree.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
As long as we finish 5th from bottom or higher i couldn't care less until Falmer is complete then i expect and rightly so i believe that we win the title the following year and are in teh champions league within 5 years. Fair enough i take it we all agree.

We'll have to put together a decent firm to greet some of the new teams to Falmer if we get promoted. Can't have some cheeky northerners or fat cockneys coming down to our manor for the weekend and taking it over. When we get into the Champions league then those of us in retirement might dust off the passports and get the Albion a bit of extra respect on the international scene.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Agree with the report and have always loved Virgo's keeness. However, stupid tackle after already being on a yellow, and as Captain should know better. Some great through balls from Dicker again.

mr_gashead

Bozza is a tossa
Sep 23, 2009
Brizzle
We're still a long way from the finished article, but today was one of those real heroic performances where, despite the opposition cheating and the ref being very much a "homer", we came away with a very creditable point.

The Virgo sending off incident was right in front of me, and their man (Hughes) made a complete meal of Virgo's challenge with the sole intention of getting Virgs sent off. OK, it was a touch late, but the contact was actually fairly minimal. It was galling in the extreme to watch Hughes writhing around in feigned agony, just long enough to ensure the ref showed Virgo the second yellow. To be honest, I was very unimpressed with Rovers' general attempts to play to the ref all the time, with their toss-pot of a manager in hysterics every time we tackled one of their players.

To secure a point in those circumstances was a fantastic effort, with Tunnicliffe and Elphick in particular doing a great job. I'd also pick out Dicker and Forster - the latter's great shot led to the corner from which we scored (storming header by Tunnicliffe). Forster was also very unlucky to be given off-side shortly afterwards when he was about to storm through on goal.

Rovers are a decent side, and their movement upfront was definitely superior to ours - Kuffour and Dickson make a good partnership, and much as I tried not to admire him, Hughes was at the heart of much of Rovers' best play.

Towards the end we got lucky on a few occasions, with Rovers firstly hitting the post, then missing an absolute sitter at the back post with Kuipers stranded.

Wright came on in the second half, with El Abd reverting to right back - and to be honest looked rather dodgy. Harty and Cox also made appearances, but neither had enough time to make a real impact. It was one of those games where the sending off meant the balance of the game was completely changed, with one team having little option but to defend in depth.

All in all, a very good point.

My god i've never read such a poor one sided match report. As for the ref being a homer I couldn't disagree more.
I don't think there was any doubt about the sending off, two stupid late tackles within a few minutes and he deserved to walk. Wasn't quite sure why Slade took Dickinson off and left Forster on? I thought Dickinson was probably one of the best players on the pitch and was causing Danny Coles no end of problems. Forster didn't do anything for the entire time he was on the pitch.

Trollope the tosspot?? he's probably one of the best young managers in the lower league and has just come back from spending a few days at Ajax looking how they do things. I'd have him in charge over Slade every day of the week.

What pissed me off about Brighton was the time wasting. From the 2nd minute onwards every thrown in, goal kick, free kick they took the piss with. How the ref didn't book any of your players was unbeliveable, especially Kuipers he was shocking. Only 4 minutes added on and I think we should probably still be playing now!!!

I think we were unlucky not to win as we had 3 brilliant chances at the end, one being saved, one hitting the post and one put wide of the back post.

Thought the support from Brighton was immese, you're not a bad team and I don't think your current position in the league is where you belong. I can't remember the last time we beat a team after they went down to 10 men.

Good luck for the rest of the season and get some new glasses Jim. :D
Up the Gas.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Also interesting to note that with Virgo sent off, Forster was captain in 2nd half...

but when Forster was subbed, he passed the armband straight to CROFTS!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My god i've never read such a poor one sided match report. As for the ref being a homer I couldn't disagree more.
I don't think there was any doubt about the sending off, two stupid late tackles within a few minutes and he deserved to walk. Wasn't quite sure why Slade took Dickinson off and left Forster on? I thought Dickinson was probably one of the best players on the pitch and was causing Danny Coles no end of problems. Forster didn't do anything for the entire time he was on the pitch.

Trollope the tosspot?? he's probably one of the best young managers in the lower league and has just come back from spending a few days at Ajax looking how they do things. I'd have him in charge over Slade every day of the week.

What pissed me off about Brighton was the time wasting. From the 2nd minute onwards every thrown in, goal kick, free kick they took the piss with. How the ref didn't book any of your players was unbeliveable, especially Kuipers he was shocking. Only 4 minutes added on and I think we should probably still be playing now!!!

I think we were unlucky not to win as we had 3 brilliant chances at the end, one being saved, one hitting the post and one put wide of the back post.

Thought the support from Brighton was immese, you're not a bad team and I don't think your current position in the league is where you belong. I can't remember the last time we beat a team after they went down to 10 men.

Good luck for the rest of the season and get some new glasses Jim. :D
Up the Gas.
You are very unlikely to find us eulogising Bristol Rovers on a Brighton fan site. All fan sites have this sort of report, it makes us feel better about our own shortcomings.

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Mr Gashead, the biggest example of time wasteing was your second sub in the double substitution. Couldn't believe how slow Mark Wright was to come off considering you lot were 0-1 down. And Jim from where I was in with the Gas the back post sitter that they missed had already been flagged offside so wouldn't have counted. A great battling performance by the ten men against a confident footballing side who tended to overelaborate.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Enjoyed the game, despite Rovers squaddering enough chances to win comfortably, we battled well and deserved a point. We were unlucky not to score a second at 1-0 up. Thought Kuipiers played well, couple of excellent saves, and Bennett showed flashes of quality. Tunnicliffe was excellent and Elphick improved (over the Southend performance) but still looks a weak spot to me.

Bizarrely, I sat by Kevin McLeod in the stand - he spent most of the game looking at his iphone (checking his bets?). He was the only person in the stand who didn't jump up when we scored. In fact, he barely looked up. Showed no interest in the game apart from a few digs at El-Abd "jumping in", "watch him, he'll jump in, there he goes". Shame, as i always thought he could be quality - but his heart is definitely not with us.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
"My god i've never read such a poor one sided match report."

So you missed the bit where he said 'Rovers are a decent side, and their movement upfront was definitely superior to ours - Kuffour and Dickson make a good partnership, and much as I tried not to admire him, Hughes was at the heart of much of Rovers' best play.', then?

That doesn't sound that one sided to me mate.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
How does that prove he's not a tosser?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here