Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from Ashton gate

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Jim in the West said:
What? Kuipers made at least 4 absolutely stunning saves. The guy is a hero. And, whilst I'm at it, so are DK, Martin Perry and Paul Samrah.

A couple, maybe, and I agreed he played well today, but I still prefer Henderson.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Jim in the West said:
What? Kuipers made at least 4 absolutely stunning saves. The guy is a hero. And, whilst I'm at it, so are DK, Martin Perry and Paul Samrah.

Bloody kuipers when will we offload this sicknote i'm sure he'll play another coupleof games and then put his back out and end up on the treatemnt table.. for god sake magoon get Hendo back he's the future, FDM has had his day.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Another Berkshire Seagull said:
Indeed we did. First thing you've got right all night.

But I think the point was around how many saves Kuipers made today.

But don't worry if things go past you. From the start of this thread it was obvious that most things go on without you having a clue about it.

He did make about 4 or 5 saves but only one was spectacular and one was very good, the rest were bread and butter. He was no more impressive than Hendo. I personally think they are both good keepers but lets at least tell the truth.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
First 10 I thought we had them rattled as BC looked shell shocked from the week's goings on.
Got caught in major traffic, darted around and found 2 home fans only pubs, kept walking and walked into the smoke factory, a massive cafe pub (which I hate), which it proudly announced over the door. Left and discovered another cafe pub further up the road. Turned around and went back to the first cafe pub, hung around and decided I really didn't want to drink there and I'm not generally that fussy.
6 hours after leaving, arrive at ground still not having had so much as one drink. That really was a first, especially for an away trip.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Another Berkshire Seagull said:
OK in which case my truth says that Kuipers saved more for the albion than Hendo today :lolol:

This is true.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Al Bion said:

Probably around 600-700 Albion there, we outsung the home support but only because they didn't make any noise at all, apart from a few gobby teenagers, but very quiet by our normal standards at Ashton Gate.

you'd get a better atmosphere in a library then there was there today!!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Aside from the Kuipers thing which has been dicussed the only other thing to disagree with in Les' ratings would be Santos 7??

He is decent in the air but that's about it, he is so slow and his passing is rank.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Les Biehn said:
He did make about 4 or 5 saves but only one was spectacular and one was very good, the rest were bread and butter. He was no more impressive than Hendo. I personally think they are both good keepers but lets at least tell the truth.

Saves don't have to be spectacular to be great saves...often it's the reverse. The four saves I was referring to were:

1. The first parry to keep the ball out in the incident where City scored
2. The one in the top left hand corner just before half time
3. One on one on the right side of the penalty area early in the second half
4. Another one on one about 20 minutes later (the ref blew for off-side, but neither the forward nor Kuipers knew that at the time).

None of those were bread and butter.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Jim in the West said:
Saves don't have to be spectacular to be great saves...often it's the reverse. The four saves I was referring to were:

1. The first parry to keep the ball out in the incident where City scored
2. The one in the top left hand corner just before half time
3. One on one on the right side of the penalty area early in the second half
4. Another one on one about 20 minutes later (the ref blew for off-side, but neither the forward nor Kuipers knew that at the time).

None of those were bread and butter.

1. A Bit like Hendos where he gets slated for

2. good save but no better or worse than anything Hendo has done

3. Not as good as hendos 0ne on one agains crewe as the striker had a shit angle.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Kinky Gerbils said:
1. A Bit like Hendos where he gets slated for

2. good save but no better or worse than anything Hendo has done

3. Not as good as hendos 0ne on one agains crewe as the striker had a shit angle.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

We were in Ireland, some years ago, for a pre-season tour when we first saw Kuipers. He was very poor and we were totally unimpressed. It took time, but he eventually improved with maturity and experience and became a good and reliable keeper, for some, a legend.

However, as far as some are concerned, this has made it virtually impossible for any other keeper, however capable, to make an impression.

I don't disagree that Kuipers has been an accomplished keeper and has served us well. However, it happened with Roberts, Shabaan, Blayney and now Henderson who have all been guilty of one thing, in some peoples' eyes.... they are second rate because they not Kuipers.

The argument will continue as to whether Henderson or Kuipers is the better keeper. Each has his strengths, some prefer one and some the other, but I am of the opinion that the "legend" status attached to Kuipers gets in the way.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Fran Hagarty said:

I don't disagree that Kuipers has been an accomplished keeper and has served us well. However, it happened with Roberts, Shabaan, Blayney and now Henderson who have all been guilty of one thing, in some peoples' eyes.... they are second rate because they not Kuipers.

The argument will continue as to whether Henderson or Kuipers is the better keeper. Each has his strengths, some prefer one and some the other, but I am of the opinion that the "legend" status attached to Kuipers gets in the way.

You sir are spot on.

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Gully said:
My favourite chant of the day was the one that began: p-r-i-s-o-n....

P - R - I - S - O - N

Now you boys get f***ed by men,
With a knick knack paddy whack give a dog a bone,
Bristol City f*** off home

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
ExmouthExile said:
you'd get a better atmosphere in a library then there was there today!!

Wanted to sing "you're quieter than the Withdean" but they probably weren't. At least we were allowed to stand!

I thought our support was the worst away effort for years. But at least we never gave up i suppose.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Al Bion said:
Just back too and have to agree with GG, Bristol City were absolutely shite but we couldn't do anything about it. The defence were all at sea, against a good team we'd have let in a hatfull. Lots of possession for us again, as in most matches this season, but once again nobody in the box on the end of the final pass. We came close a few times but not enough.

Probably around 600-700 Albion there, we outsung the home support but only because they didn't make any noise at all, apart from a few gobby teenagers, but very quiet by our normal standards at Ashton Gate. About 10 minutes from the end it became apparent that the team couldn't be bothered to try and attack to gain an equaliser, even though Santos went up front, and there were loud chants of 'I want my money back', 'What a load of rubbish' and 'McGhee out' (sung just as he was going to run over to acknowledge the fans at the end but he aborted his run and just went back down the tunnel).

Player ratings:
Kuipers 7 MOM - Kept us in the game with a couple of good saves, not at fault for the goal but a few unsure moments with the defence
El Abd 6
Lynch 6 - Went off at half time injured
Reid 6 - Got forward quite well in the first half but anonymous in the second half
Loft 7 - Best game I've seen him play, ran all over the place and put some good tackles in, didn't give up but substituted
Hammond 5 - Another inept performance
Santos 5 - Ok in the air but every ball he won seemed to go back to City
Carpenter 6 - Still not playing as he can but closest to scoring for us
Frutos 5 - Few good touches but otherwise not in the game (subbed)
Cox - 6 Did ok
Revell 6 - Didn't see much of the ball
Subs:
Rents 6 - Did ok
Robinson 6 - Livened things up slightly when he came on
Stokes 6

Where the fook did you watch the game, not from where we were standing matey, my scores are as follows:

Kuipers 9 MOM -
El Abd 5
Lynch 2 -
Reid 4 -
Loft 1 - 9 worst player I have seen in an albion shirt
Hammond 5 -
Santos 2 -
Carpenter 8 -
Frutos 7 -Cox - 6 Did ok
Revell 3 -
Subs:
Rents 5 -
Robinson 7 -
Stokes 6

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
On the whole i have to agree with you Somerset. Lynch was dire. Thoought Cox did ok in the centre but ran out of steam second half. Didn'y think much of Chippy apart from his excellent shot. Here goes.........

Kuipers 8 MOM - The save from the curling shot from Jevons was awesome. Kcked it into touch once. WH was3 times worse the last two games. So the distribution arguement has evaporated.
El Abd 7 - Keep him in the centre.
Lynch 2 - Toilet. Believes the News of the screws etc.
Reid 3 - Worst game i have seen from him.
Loft 1 - out of his depth. Effort is not enough on is own.
Hammond 5 - One pace. Headless chicken half the time.
Santos 2 - Crap 3 years ago for Grimsby!
Carpenter 5 - Too slow.
Frutos 6 - Rather than shaping for a shot he should have a go.
Cox - 7 Did ok til run out of steam
Revell 5 - No support. Another thankless task.
Subs:
Rents 5 -
Robinson 7 -
Stokes 6

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here