Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just an idea?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Knowing that our Brighton-shiny new football stadium is going to get labelled something like 'The Hilton hotels community football stadium plc. co.uk' it will be a pity if we really do have to start referring home to something like that.
But here's an idea, I do reckon we as fans can make a difference by simply having our own supporters ground name for our own and other fans use. We will need the tacky sponsorship name for obvious financial reasons. It seems to be the norm these days but I doubt its something fans like using, dose this mean we need to use ours? So why not we start something for all other shit-ground named clubs ie Arsenal, to all jump on the Brighton bandwagon and invent their own supporters free naming rights. Why not stick with Falmer or continue with the Goldstone?, always thought using the Goldstone again would remind everyone at this club what it once had to go through in getting what it lost. This club should never forget those times and effort everyone was putting in to keep this club going.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Falmer will probably stick. It's what we've always known it as. Commercial names tend to get ditched fairly quickly by fans unless they're suitably glamourous or inextricably linked to the ground- eg Reebok, Emirates.

While the Goldstone, or even the New Goldstone (hideous) are just wrong.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
The Lewes community appreciation ground?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think in the months and years to come it will still be referred to as Falmer. Its been ingrained into the psyche!

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Falmer isn't the nicest name in the world, to be fair. I can bet we lose the Falmer name quick. Arsenal tried sticking with Ashburton Grove when they moved to The Emirates, that lasted!
If we want a name to stick then it needs to be a name of a ground not a place, like The Goldstone. I can't see the harm in using the big lump of rock on the corner of Hove park as Brightons new football ground name. Would it be insulting towards the old ground which is now covered in Burger King litter and empty toy boxes to redeem the name?. Its not like you can look at the sight with any pride when referring it to the Goldstone, maybe soon we could?. Lets see if it works, I say.

Can anyone tell me a ground name invented by fans which gets used more than the official name?

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Can anyone tell me a ground name invented by fans which gets used more than the official name?

I believe a lot of MKDons fans refer to their ground by the STUNNINGLY cringy name of 'The Moo Camp' (because of the concrete cows for which MK is famous).

To me, our new home will more than likely always be Falmer.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
What about The GreenHouse? or The Shelter? The Uni? Three Tiers? The Hole? The idealess? The Preistfield was blooming dire football ground?

Anyone for a ground nickname?

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I believe a lot of MKDons fans refer to their ground by the STUNNINGLY cringy name of 'The Moo Camp' (because of the concrete cows for which MK is famous).

To me, our new home will more than likely always be Falmer.

A recurring theme here then, as Man City have been known to refer to the Blue Camp, while I believe a few cheeky Palace fans have been known to refer to OUR new ground as the Poo Camp.

No idea why though :jester:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And before the Palace fans get the chance to jump on...

...the Stadium of Shite....Gay Pride Park...the San Queero...the Maracanarse....MANfield...

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
And before the Palace fans get the chance to jump on...

...the Stadium of Shite....Gay Pride Park...the San Queero...the Maracanarse....MANfield...

Calm down Edna or people will think we have a crap stadium in a town with a dodgy rep!

Falmer it will always be.:falmer:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am loving " The San Queero"

:falmer:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wasn't Southampton's ground called The Friends Provident or something equally souless, but is universally known as St Mary's, which is far, far better.

I can see our new ground being named by a sponsor, but most supporters will probably continue to refer to it as Falmer, regardless.

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Falmer isn't the nicest name in the world, to be fair. I can bet we lose the Falmer name quick. Arsenal tried sticking with Ashburton Grove when they moved to The Emirates, that lasted!
If we want a name to stick then it needs to be a name of a ground not a place, like The Goldstone. I can't see the harm in using the big lump of rock on the corner of Hove park as Brightons new football ground name. Would it be insulting towards the old ground which is now covered in Burger King litter and empty toy boxes to redeem the name?. Its not like you can look at the sight with any pride when referring it to the Goldstone, maybe soon we could?. Lets see if it works, I say.

IMO using the 'The Goldstone' name again is bad idea. As much as there we many good times had at that ground, I believe it is important that Falmer is the start of a new era for Brighton and Hove Albion. I think it would be a vain atempt to bring back the old days. We must start afresh at Falmer!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
We are from Sussex and we won't be druv. You have to go along the Drove to get to it.
It's a very ancient road. Albion Drove Stadium.

Coat.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think this is a good issue.

Any new name we think up whilst sounding good won't be ingrained in supporters minds.

It simply needs to stay as Falmer stadium. This name is now synonymous with BHA FC and reminds us all of the fight we had to win to get it.

The legal and general community stadium is fine for financial but amongst the football fraternity I pray it will be known as Falmer !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here