Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just an idea?

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Archer and belotti are both cnuts and we don't want them in our community stadium

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
But in all seriousness, "The New Goldstone" , DOES have someting ambient about it doesent it?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
More on the Drove........... Drove Park Stadium.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
I think this is a good issue.
The legal and general community stadium is fine for financial but amongst the football fraternity I pray it will be known as Falmer !

Or the ITS community stadium :laugh:.
But no it should stay as Falmer. :falmer:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The word Community in this context is simply a tool used by businesses- and I include the Albion in that- to make a project sound more appealing to the planners when it comes to getting permission to build.

It'll never stick with fans once the thing is finished. It sounds really lame.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I give you the home of West Ham United... 99% of the time it's referred to as Upton Park rather than the Boleyn Ground.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Why would a company chuck loads of money (thousands or even millions) into stadium naming rights, if everyone is just going to refer to it as Falmer? It must annoy the company, or even deter some from investing?

I think it will always be refered to as Falmer, its just the easy option.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Stade Mellodrome.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I've always liked the sound of 'The WilliamHill Arena'

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Why would a company chuck loads of money (thousands or even millions) into stadium naming rights, if everyone is just going to refer to it as Falmer? It must annoy the company, or even deter some from investing?

I think it will always be refered to as Falmer, its just the easy option.

Fair point.

I'm pretty sure that when Southampton moved, the ground was sponsored, but for some reason was nearly always called St Mary's by fans and media alike. Contrast with Bolton, Arsenal, etc.

I'm betting whoever the sponsors were felt they got a pretty poor deal.-

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fair point.

I'm pretty sure that when Southampton moved, the ground was sponsored, but for some reason was nearly always called St Mary's by fans and media alike. Contrast with Bolton, Arsenal, etc.

I'm betting whoever the sponsors were felt they got a pretty poor deal.-

St.Marys was ALWAYS called St.Marys though. Its full name on opening, was the 'Friends Provident St.Marys Stadium'.

FP were mugs to sign up to it, tbh. The only sponsored names that work are where their name is the only name - see Reebok / Emirates / JJB / KC. If it carries a sponsor name AND another name, its always going to be the sponsor part that's dropped in common usage.

Cellnet Riverside, anyone?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think hans kraay is right. Arsenal have done a good job of shedding the Ashburton Grove nametag... I think it must have something to do with merged names.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We used to say on a Saturday morning, "You going down the Albion today?" so why not just call it "The Albion"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here