Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Josh Wright from Scunthorpe signing this week

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill
young, tall, athletic and has bags of championship experience.

wouldnt say no. Jump on the Gus Bus lad !!

god that sounds a little bit gay

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
here is the opinion of a Scunny season ticket holder and colleague of mine
"Josh Wright did ok first season but was poor this, not a great tackler and only scored once in two years "

could be worth the risk on a free, look at how El abd improved under Poyet

With Bridcutt - as soon as you saw him make his playing debut you could see he could kick a ball, and was quick.
He immediately had the sense to take up good positions, get amongst the opposition and make problems for them.
He's a live wire - and I suspect he could be simply deployed in several positions.

Yes, there's definitely a lot to be said for players who can do what they are told - but allowing for initiative is a margin a good manager will appreciate. Gus has encouraged Adam el-Abd to develop on his own initiative, and players who work with each other in that way can then be called a team. Robotic positional play might work to an extent, but won't rise to the top against sides who learn each others' individuality.

When it looks like instinct - group instinct, it's teamwork - hunting in packs and defending for the team - and that's when football is at its' best. I'm a little uncomfortable when I watch 'experts' on tv replaying and stop-motion for pointing out that a team had a 'bad formation, lost the defensive line' etcetera. They indicate what SHOULD have been done, but you could shoot their 20/20-vision assumptions full of holes when you realise what might also have happened to their formations just as easily!

Football is not like chess, where pieces get moved by one mind - it's a lot of pieces with their own abilities, ideas and instincts. A manager preps them, often in accordance of what to expect from the opposition - but it's how the players work together, and also still think as individuals that matters once they are on the field of play.

darkcore1977

May 18, 2009
haywards heath
With Bridcutt - as soon as you saw him make his playing debut you could see he could kick a ball, and was quick.
He immediately had the sense to take up good positions, get amongst the opposition and make problems for them.
He's a live wire - and I suspect he could be simply deployed in several positions.

Yes, there's definitely a lot to be said for players who can do what they are told - but allowing for initiative is a margin a good manager will appreciate. Gus has encouraged Adam el-Abd to develop on his own initiative, and players who work with each other in that way can then be called a team. Robotic positional play might work to an extent, but won't rise to the top against sides who learn each others' individuality.

When it looks like instinct - group instinct, it's teamwork - hunting in packs and defending for the team - and that's when football is at its' best. I'm a little uncomfortable when I watch 'experts' on tv replaying and stop-motion for pointing out that a team had a 'bad formation, lost the defensive line' etcetera. They indicate what SHOULD have been done, but you could shoot their 20/20-vision assumptions full of holes when you realise what might also have happened to their formations just as easily!

Football is not like chess, where pieces get moved by one mind - it's a lot of pieces with their own abilities, ideas and instincts. A manager preps them, often in accordance of what to expect from the opposition - but it's how the players work together, and also still think as individuals that matters once they are on the field of play.

Top post that lad.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Great !!!!
A nobody from a relegated side !
Just what we need ........................NOT

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Great !!!!
A nobody from a relegated side !
Just what we need ........................NOT

I give you Ashley Barnes from Plymouth, last season he was exactly that and he scored 20 goals this season.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I give you Ashley Barnes from Plymouth, last season he was exactly that and he scored 20 goals this season.

Even so he's not good enough for us (allegedly). I would trust Mr Poyet's judgement over that of a poster on here.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Looks a reasonable rumour to me and, let's face it, we have a shortage of those on here...

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
charlie oatway and a few others have been opp north,looking at players that have been released,doing the midlands today,so im told

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Can't they just look on the Net? None will be playing will they?

Probably better off checking them on on Football Manager 2011!!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
And Calderon, Barnes, Bridcutt & Noone were all household names when Gus signed them? :facepalm:
That's correct but we were always extremely unlikely to ever attract household names to withdean!
Maybe I'm hoping for a bit better now we're at the amex

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's correct but we were always extremely unlikely to ever attract household names to withdean!
Maybe I'm hoping for a bit better now we're at the amex

Sheff Weds attracted a few household names and it didn't do them much good.

Big name players looking for one big pay day aren't always the way to go ... Paul Kitson anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here