Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Josh Wright from Scunthorpe signing this week

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Will probably end up going to Southampton with the Adkins link.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't think Phillips or Cox has ever been anything but pure speculation and hope from our owne fans. Or Owen.

In the past week I think we've been linked with about four central midfielders. Junst find it all a bit strange as I see our central mid-field positions to be pretty sorted. It must be me, because I wouldn't doubt Gus.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I don't think Phillips or Cox has ever been anything but pure speculation and hope from our owne fans. Or Owen.

In the past week I think we've been linked with about four central midfielders. Junst find it all a bit strange as I see our central mid-field positions to be pretty sorted. It must be me, because I wouldn't doubt Gus.

We have just released Kish and Battipiedi, plus Navarro may still not be offered a new deal.

That leaves us with just Dicker, Bridcutt, Sparrow and as senior squad central midfielders... Another couple of midfielders wouldn't be a bad thing!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4104702 said:
We have just released Kish and Battipiedi, plus Navarro may still not be offered a new deal.

That leaves us with just Dicker, Bridcutt, Sparrow and as senior squad central midfielders... Another couple of midfielders wouldn't be a bad thing!

Exactly right. And actually none of these have very much championship experience, so adding a player who has some must be an improvement. To progress we have to be signing better and better players however good we think the current crop are.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
On recent form our existing central midfield struggles to hold the ball or progress it when pushed deep - witness Southampton, Dagenham, Oldham etc - we desperately need a bit more weight, height and nous to stop teams from pushing us back and stop them from preventing us from getting it forward and holding on to the ball away from our own penalty area.. We are definitely going to be looking at central midfield and if not Wright it will be at least one and more likely two others. Initially I expect Gary Dicker to be a victim. Bridcutt will also be challenged by someone with greater experience.

No room for sentiment and I'm not saying that our current heroes will be discarded but they will be challenged - that is the way to make progress surely.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
GP says he wants to add some taller athletes, player says he wants to play in a passing side. I would say this is a plausible rumour.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Someone with Championship experience and height, okay but someone playing at Scunthorpe is hardly going to strenghthen our squad,
we must be looking much higher.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4104702 said:

Tend to agree with that. I'd also say that regardless of whether this rumour is actually true or just the usual messageboard transfer rumour bullshit I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried by the current fans of any of our targets saying that they don't rate them. None of us really rated Adam El Abd until Poyet got his hands on him ...

Tend to agree with that. I'd also say that regardless of whether this rumour is actually true or just the usual messageboard transfer rumour bullshit I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried by the current fans of any of our targets saying that they don't rate them. None of us really rated Adam El Abd until Poyet got his hands on him ...

Do what?
I looked at a thread from 2006 where I was defending Adam el-Abd - he's always been a great asset but Gus appreciates him and bolsters his confidence ...along with benefiting him with better support around him (all positions).
We know Virgo and Elphick ('the wandering star') exposed him to 2-on-1 attacks and sent him rubbish passes that put him under increased pressure (probably to take it off themselves), and Whing was the only proper defender other than Adam under Slade - but Poyet didn't rate him even if we and Slade did.
The stints in the midfield didn't do AeA any harm, I think it was Wilkins who started playing him there occasionally.

Imo it's less of a sea-change for el-Abd, and more of one from the team around him

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Totally agree. I think any fans that are only going to be satisfied by big names are likely to be sorely disappointed. From what Gus has said about the budget, he'll surely be in the market to find good young players that he knows have future potential and that he can work on (like Bridcutt). Short term, not too exciting when the news breaks but great news for the club in the long run if we can keep Gus and his team together.

Put another way, this season would you rather have had a young, raw striker like Barnes (who's improved immensely since the start of the season) or someone undoubtedly far more expensive with a track record (on the pitch as well as criminal) like Lee Hughes?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Do what?
I looked at a thread from 2006 where I was defending Adam el-Abd - he's always been a great asset but Gus appreciates him and bolsters his confidence ...along with benefiting him with better support around him (all positions).
We know Virgo and Elphick ('the wandering star') exposed him to 2-on-1 attacks and sent him rubbish passes that put him under increased pressure (probably to take it off themselves), and Whing was the only proper defender other than Adam under Slade - but Poyet didn't rate him even if we and Slade did.
The stints in the midfield didn't do AeA any harm, I think it was Wilkins who started playing him there occasionally.

Imo it's less of a sea-change for el-Abd, and more of one from the team around him
Well maybe it's just me then but I reckon he's become ten times, twenty times the player I'd ever thought he'd become. Part of it is age of course (not-yet-fully developed youngsters who don't play like seasoned pro's are often slagged off on here) but I was surprised when he was the first player that Poyet seemed to 'choose' as part of his future team when he gave him that new deal ahead of a senior player such as Forster.

So part of it is general maturity, but I sincerely believe he wouldn't be NEARLY as good today if he hadn't been lucky enough to fall into Poyets hands. Bridcutt is another. Watford fans didn't really rate him when he was there on loan, and when he was released by Chelsea he had a trial for Wycombe - and was rejected! 'In Gus We Trust' as they say.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
In all fairness- it's wrong of us to say he's not the type of play we should be looking at. The reason I say is is that last summer, I felt quite underwhelmed when Bridcutt was signed and I'm sure I'm not the only one and yet he was, in my view, the signing of the summer.

This lad fits the Poyet bill nicely and it's not often he gets these things wrong. Poyet also knows that if he can get a player like this on the cheap then we'll have more to spend on the strikers that we need to bring in!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here