Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jones, Oatway & Harty

IMHO I think our back four are decent enough not to need to much over protecting. Our midfield needs to be able to get the ball further up the field to bring the forwards into play in decent positions and that is why I believe Reid should be starting in midfield and not charlie.

By playing a midfielder in front of the back four in a defensive manner just concedes pitch space and posession to the opposition. One thing we cannot afford to do this season is spend too many games chasing shadows, we will wear ourselves out very early on.

we need to get our forwards causing the opposition a few problems during the game, this will be far more effective in relieving pressure on the back four than some last ditch tackling just in front of them.

Knight and Molango will need quality service, be it decent crosses from the wings, or, dare I say it through balls from the middle of the park, and not aimless hoofing from just outside our own penalty box.

This is not diminish the contribution that Charlie Oatway makes to the club, he is a highly valued and much loved member of the squad, but there is no room for sentiment in what will be a very hard season indeed.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Row Z Creased Shirt said:
IMHO I think our back four are decent enough not to need to much over protecting. Our midfield needs to be able to get the ball further up the field to bring the forwards into play in decent positions and that is why I believe Reid should be starting in midfield and not charlie.

By playing a midfielder in front of the back four in a defensive manner just concedes pitch space and posession to the opposition. One thing we cannot afford to do this season is spend too many games chasing shadows, we will wear ourselves out very early on.

we need to get our forwards causing the opposition a few problems during the game, this will be far more effective in relieving pressure on the back four than some last ditch tackling just in front of them.

defensive midfielders don't have to play just in front of the back four, they are their to win the ball from the opposition and cause as much disruption to the opposing team over the whole pitch.

Keane is a prime example of a player who goes all over the pitch, scaring the hell out of the opposition, wins the ball and then will give it to someone creative.

The problem with oatway is that he quite often gets left behind ie isnt causing problems with the opposition and also often fails to win the ball when he goes in for tackles.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whoever plays we are going to struggle and it's a fact that people are going to start moaning about the lack of quality in midfield. Be far better to get behind them, as a collective groan whenever one of them makes a mistake is hardly going to inspire them. We don't have many choices in midfield and one thing we can be sure of is that all these players give 100%. Can we expect more?

Vocal support, or lack of it, at Withdean will almost certainly be the difference between being just good enough or getting relegated.

Row Z Creased Shirt said:
IMHO I think our back four are decent enough not to need to much over protecting.

That smacks too much to me of famous last words.

Is it just me, or is this debate about Oatway's contribution to the team overtaken the Lee witch-hunting as the most tedious discussion on this site?

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
I don't think Oatway should feature too much this year, fantastic commitment always but the ability isn't there.

Jones, again works for the team but sometimes I wish he would go for the simple option, always committed to the cause going forward and I think he should be regular in squad.

Hart, one of my favourite players since he's been with us, but I felt last year wasn't on it, and I seem to remember a post match interview of him saying the same and didn't know what had happened to him. If he can get back to his best a definite starter.

Piercy has ability but his attitude must get in the way. I hope he knuckles down and gets a longer contract, but out of him and Lee, Lee seems to have been putting the performances in in pre season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
"Piercy has ability but his attitude must get in the way".

He hasn't shown it very often so far in fact I think that he is lazy and appears to have an attitude problem thinking that he is better than he is. IMO would be better suited to Crawley than us.

Last edited:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Oatway and hart= loss funds for our club and jones is far to inconsistant,but can do it when in the mood,also a major pile of shite=watson.

I await the day we release the trio:clap2: :drink:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Jones. Oatway and Harty

sounds like a firm of dodgy accounants to me!!!

Bet Oatway is the collector!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
sorry but jonesy was crap the lasttime round
and he will be no better this time
he is just no good enough !!!!!!!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
f***ing hell,the season hasnt even started yet and there are the usual suspects on here running down players already!!

Give them all a chance and if they arent good enough I think MM will se it before all these Wannabe managers on here will.

Until then get behind all of them as they are all wearing the stripes!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
Is it just me, or is this debate about Oatway's contribution to the team overtaken the Lee witch-hunting as the most tedious discussion on this site?

As has been pointed out soooooooooooooo many times on NSC before, if you don't like the thread London Irish, don't post :nono:

The discussion about Oatway's "contribution to the team" is so great because so many of us are worried that it looks like McGhee has already pencilled in Oatway into the first team and I for one think this is a big mistake, given Oatway's obvious limitations at Div1 level

And if that is construde (sp?) as a moan, so be it

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Icy Gull said:
Whoever plays we are going to struggle and it's a fact that people are going to start moaning about the lack of quality in midfield. Be far better to get behind them, as a collective groan whenever one of them makes a mistake is hardly going to inspire them. We don't have many choices in midfield and one thing we can be sure of is that all these players give 100%. Can we expect more?

Vocal support, or lack of it, at Withdean will almost certainly be the difference between being just good enough or getting relegated.

and still people bitch when lee comes on? would make a change if we got behind team for once

wilderabeast

Jul 27, 2004
The Promised Land
here here charlies shinpad over critical idiots its exactly the same with the youngsters they have a good game and they are the bee's knee's make a mistake and all of a sudden the moaners come on the board completley slating em i for one will be patient this year with the whole team...it will be a struggle and us as fans have to get behind every single player....cos when we slag of one player the whole squad feels it....We had that incident last year when people were having a pop at jonah and mcghee was livid about it saying that he had asked jonah to do a job and as far as he was concerned he was doing it......SO GIVE EM ALL A CHANCE AND INSTEAD OF GETTING ON THEIR BACKS WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN GET BEHIND EM...we no its not going to be easy....

Right im reading and waiting to be shouted down so bring it on

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
wilderabeast said:
here here charlies shinpad over critical idiots its exactly the same with the youngsters they have a good game and they are the bee's knee's make a mistake and all of a sudden the moaners come on the board completley slating em i for one will be patient this year with the whole team...it will be a struggle and us as fans have to get behind every single player....cos when we slag of one player the whole squad feels it....We had that incident last year when people were having a pop at jonah and mcghee was livid about it saying that he had asked jonah to do a job and as far as he was concerned he was doing it......SO GIVE EM ALL A CHANCE AND INSTEAD OF GETTING ON THEIR BACKS WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN GET BEHIND EM...we no its not going to be easy....

Right im reading and waiting to be shouted down so bring it on

So we are not allowed to have opinions on players, we should just go down the route of blind faith?

I would have thought a forum like this would be the perfect place to discuss the teams limitations and vent frustration at players, rather than at the games.

wilderabeast

Jul 27, 2004
The Promised Land
Blind faith sounds good to me......until we get falmer or wherever the hell its gonna be im afraid we are stuck with pretty much what we have......if it was just on this board where people vented frustrations about players then i wouldnt be on my soapbox but unfortunately Withdean is the type of ground where the players hear everything and more times then not when we are all sitting nice and quietly completley being out sung by the 10 away fans and you get the old tosser behind stirring himself from his coma and shouting rubbish charlie or whoever they hear it on the pitch and in the dug out...all im syaing is charlie doesnt play a sh*t ball on purpose or jonah doesnt trip over the ball on purposes....we are what we are and we make the best of it...and i for one don't think slating our senior pros does the youngsters any good its all about the fear factor it makes them edgy and they will be thinking christ if the crowd are getting on charlies back for that what happens to me when i play a poor ball......rant over soapbox put away...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
wilderabeast said:
Blind faith sounds good to me......until we get falmer or wherever the hell its gonna be im afraid we are stuck with pretty much what we have......if it was just on this board where people vented frustrations about players then i wouldnt be on my soapbox but unfortunately Withdean is the type of ground where the players hear everything and more times then not when we are all sitting nice and quietly completley being out sung by the 10 away fans and you get the old tosser behind stirring himself from his coma and shouting rubbish charlie or whoever they hear it on the pitch and in the dug out...all im syaing is charlie doesnt play a sh*t ball on purpose or jonah doesnt trip over the ball on purposes....we are what we are and we make the best of it...and i for one don't think slating our senior pros does the youngsters any good its all about the fear factor it makes them edgy and they will be thinking christ if the crowd are getting on charlies back for that what happens to me when i play a poor ball......rant over soapbox put away...

However as people pay to get into Withdean they are surely allowed to have their say. I agree that once the game kicks off it is not helpful to lay into the players (although Oatway does cause me to have bouts of cursing) but it will happen and I think you are wrong to lay into people for having a moan on here. Far more productive to get it out of our systems on here than at Reading on Saturday.

wilderabeast

Jul 27, 2004
The Promised Land
fair comment Uncle Buck....and as we no our away support is second to none and we really get behind the team even when we are playing sh*te....it would be nice to get the same vocal support and good humour at home.....

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
wilderabeast said:
fair comment Uncle Buck....and as we no our away support is second to none and we really get behind the team even when we are playing sh*te....it would be nice to get the same vocal support and good humour at home.....

But then a lot of this comes back to the way the orginal seats were allocated at Withdean. They just put people wherever and you ended up with Northstanders sitting with West Standers and those that used to be in the West Stand are unlikely to be as vocal as people from the North Stand. The second season the club tried to sort this by the creation of a singing section, but it is in a crap location and a lot of us had good seats (behind the away dugout) and were not going to give those up to go and sit at the end of the south stand. So you still have groups of chanters too spread out.

I am a firm believer of never slagging your own players of in a game.

It is not Charlie's fault that he does not reach Division 1 standard.
In comparison to Div 2 players he is average, in Div 3 he was excellent. One of the best.

Hart was also a quality Div 3 player. I personally didn't think he cut it as a top striker. His finishing is too eratic. At his peak in Div 2 Hart was devastating. And I remember at Burnley, his contribution p*ssed of the defence so much, they had to head butt him.

Nevertheless that awful injury at Peterborough has probably ruined his chance of a successful Div 1 career.

Jones.....well he makes too many mistakes to be considered a good Div 1 player. Division 2 is his league.

LC:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here